Shoegaze/ My Bloody Valentine guitars

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
brucelawson

19 Jun 2021

Hi all, is there a combinator/ VST/ ReFill (I am never sure of the correct term) that can reproduce the classic My Bloody Valentine guitar sound?

EnochLight

19 Jun 2021

brucelawson wrote:
19 Jun 2021
Hi all, is there a combinator/ VST/ ReFill (I am never sure of the correct term) that can reproduce the classic My Bloody Valentine guitar sound?
Dimi from Kuassa released a bunch of Combinators that feature some classic dreampop/shoegaze amp and effect sims, but you have to own the Kuassa Rack Extensions in order for them to work. Otherwise, using stock Reason devices, it's fairly easy to build your own effects chains and amp sims to get a great shoegaze/dreampop sound. What kind of guitar are you using? The sort of guitar you put through your amp/effect chains makes all the difference as well, IMHO.

*EDIT: also moved this thread to the appropriate forum.

Here's what they sound like:

Download the presets/patches here:

https://dimitones.wordpress.com/2018/07 ... ck-chains/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

brucelawson wrote:
19 Jun 2021
Put shape on the free IZotope Vinylizer warp CV.
Alternatively Turn2on Ghammy is the ultimate solution.
I’ve got a combi somewhere I made with Kuassa stuff and Fritz if you have any of those REs.
That said, I don’t care any more cos I just bought a Jazzmaster woohoo!!!!

Just remembered, Dimi from Kuassa made some combis for the fuzz sounds. No tremolo in those though. You can find them in the Kuassa website.
Last edited by MrFigg on 19 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

19 Jun 2021

could you post a link to some music for the sound you’re looking to emulate? fans may know what that “classic” sound is, but many others (who’d gladly like to help, if they can) won’t.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2021
could you post a link to some music for the sound you’re looking to emulate? fans may know what that “classic” sound is, but many others (who’d gladly like to help, if they can) won’t.
Here :)

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

19 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2021
One of the best My Bloody Valentine songs ever:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

19 Jun 2021

Also a favorite:

The way Kevin Shields treated his guitars is freaking magical:

EnochLight

19 Jun 2021

Also a very great read regarding Kevin Shields' technique (fun fact: he sampled a lot):

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ly-shallow

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2021
Also a very great read regarding Kevin Shields' technique (fun fact: he sampled a lot):

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ly-shallow
Can’t see the videos you posted. What ones are your favourites?
Loved them since Sunny Sundae Smile all the way up to today and beyond.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

If you don’t have a trem arm in your guitar then, as I mentioned, this and an exp pedal will get you that drifting warped sound.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... h-shifter/

Couple of fuzzes in parallel on top of that.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

Fun fact. My friend Karyn lived in the same squat as Colm at the end of the 80s in London. Lots of noise emanating from the windows :).
Last edited by MrFigg on 19 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

19 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2021

thank you both. that’s a pretty monstrous guitar sound! I’m surprised—thought I had to have heard at least some of their stuff, but I must’ve been thinking of another band (I was certain it was a male singer). this is a really good tune. I’ll have to check out some of their other stuff.

and I’m glad this turned into a bit of a celebration of the band in general. wish we’d see more of the stuff people love outside of just the “what are you listening to” thread. so much great music out there to find. :D
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

not really, shoegaze is all about jazzmasters, effect pedals going into a real amp, I am in a shoegaze band :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2021
EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2021

thank you both. that’s a pretty monstrous guitar sound! I’m surprised—thought I had to have heard at least some of their stuff, but I must’ve been thinking of another band (I was certain it was a male singer). this is a really good tune. I’ll have to check out some of their other stuff.

and I’m glad this turned into a bit of a celebration of the band in general. wish we’d see more of the stuff people love outside of just the “what are you listening to” thread. so much great music out there to find. :D
What song is it??!! All I see is “video not available”.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

only shallow, their most popular tune that everyone knows

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
Drive it All Over Me from You Made me Realise 12" is a favourite. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
19 Jun 2021
MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
hell yeah!!

there are some really good bands out that have continued the spirit of the 90's... Have you heard these guys?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
19 Jun 2021

hell yeah!!

there are some really good bands out that have continued the spirit of the 90's... Have you heard these guys?

No!!! Thanks for the tip. Sound good. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

Wonder when the guy who actually started the thread is going to chime in hahahaha.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

littlejam

19 Jun 2021

hello,

i downloaded the presets
thank you very much
and while comparing to the video dimi posted of the preview
there are no 'smashing pumpkins' presets
there are no 'cranberries' presets

is there anyway of getting these presets please?

i'm going through my list of kuassa re to see how many i have / need
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2021

littlejam wrote:
19 Jun 2021

i'm going through my list of kuassa re to see how many i have / need
It’s Kuassa man. You “need” them all :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

19 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
19 Jun 2021
If you don’t have a trem arm in your guitar then, as I mentioned, this and an exp pedal will get you that drifting warped sound.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... h-shifter/

Couple of fuzzes in parallel on top of that.
How the hell did I miss this RE ??! This thing is pretty bad ass! Might be my first RE purchase in quite some time. :thumbup:
MrFigg wrote:
19 Jun 2021
Fun fact. My friend Karyn lived in the same squat as Colm at the end of the 80s in London. Lots of noise emanating from the windows :).
HAHAHAH!!! That's awesome!
MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
not really, shoegaze is all about jazzmasters, effect pedals going into a real amp, I am in a shoegaze band :)
To be fair, you can get that sound without a Jazzmaster guitar as well, but a Jazzmaster is certainly a fantastic guitar. But yeah, it's all about the effects pedals - hence the genre's name. ;) But you don't need a real amp anymore, no more than we need "real synthesizers" anymore.
MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
As they rightfully should - it's the opener to one of the most groundbreaking influential records in the last 30 years. :thumbup:

change_my_mind.jpg
change_my_mind.jpg (253.36 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

littlejam

19 Jun 2021

hello,

having a great day now listening to
my bloody valentine
flying colors
slowdive

i've been listening to reggae for the last month

also listening now to
boards of canada
smashing pumpkins
galaxy 500
the church

i have 11 kuassa re
i need to get the efektor bundle
and the amplifikation bundle (although i already have 3)

if i can get those missing presets mentioned above
it's a done deal buy button smasher

trying to get in touch with dimi (kuassa) to ask

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

Enochpost_id=560645 wrote:
19 Jun 2021

To be fair, you can get that sound without a Jazzmaster guitar as well, but a Jazzmaster is certainly a fantastic guitar. But yeah, it's all about the effects pedals - hence the genre's name. ;) But you don't need a real amp anymore, no more than we need "real synthesizers" anymore.
I don't know any shoegaze recordings with amp sims, not saying there aren't any, just not any I know of. Please point to some so I can hear.

chaosroyale

19 Jun 2021

Shoegaze/MBV style guitars is not just one "typical sound". There's lots of layering and of course lots of FX. Half the fun is from making ridiculous effects chains.

For anyone who likes that kind of thing, I would recommend my Chaos FX combinator packs: there are 3 of them now, and each one has 10 really good shoegazey-experimental-vaporwave-lo-fi combinators with things like Freeze reverbs, dub delays, a couple of really good fuzzes and distortions.

Available for 15 USD per pack here:
https://chaosmusick.com/chaosfx/

• Information