Pultec Bass Trick

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Abstrax

01 Sep 2016

Does anyone have a Combinator emulation of the "Pultec Bass Trick"? I vaguely remember 1 floating around at the old forum, made with the MClass. I'm looking for a reason not to buy the MP5 Rack Extention. ;)

Quarmat
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2021

Sorry for the necro... But I'm interested to know it as well. I aim for a stock devices Pultec low-end trick, not a RE that does the thing (like Kuassa MP5). Thank you!

Billy+

18 Jun 2021

I'm not sure you are really going to be able to create a pultec style setup using MClass devices as they are not going to be able to create the colour of pultec eq's, I have the full range of RE based devices from Kuassa and would recommend them without question you could also buy the vst version (possibly on sale at PiB).

Check out this article for emulation information:-
https://www.musictech.net/tutorials/how ... ec-eqp-1a/

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... dio-Bundle
IMG_2731.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG (60.23 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

madmacman

18 Jun 2021

If it is just about the „Pultec Trick“ without sophisticated RE features inside Reason, then the free Ignite Amps PTeq-X VST does an excellent job on this.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pteq-x-by-ignite-amps

huggermugger

17 Jul 2021

Here are a couple of good Pultec style freebies...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.15.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.15.35 AM.png (373.4 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.15.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.15.55 AM.png (509.78 KiB) Viewed 969 times

selig
RE Developer

17 Jul 2021

And if you’re really after the “trick” part, almost any EQ can get you close. But the REAL “trick” of the Original Pultec is doing it with one band, back when you didn’t have nearly unlimited plugins to throw at the problem. You just need a low shelf boost and parametric cut using two bands from just about any EQ - this approach give far more flexibility as well, fwiw.
Google “Pultec low end trick” to find frequency plots showing exactly what the Pultec does for reference.
Selig Audio, LLC

integerpoet

21 Jul 2021

selig wrote:
17 Jul 2021
And if you’re really after the “trick” part, almost any EQ can get you close. But the REAL “trick” of the Original Pultec is doing it with one band, back when you didn’t have nearly unlimited plugins to throw at the problem. You just need a low shelf boost and parametric cut using two bands from just about any EQ - this approach give far more flexibility as well, fwiw. Google “Pultec low end trick” to find frequency plots showing exactly what the Pultec does for reference.
This a pretty great post coming from someone who publishes an EQ rack extension. No irony; just props.

Billy+

21 Jul 2021

selig wrote:
17 Jul 2021
And if you’re really after the “trick” part, almost any EQ can get you close. But the REAL “trick” of the Original Pultec is doing it with one band, back when you didn’t have nearly unlimited plugins to throw at the problem. You just need a low shelf boost and parametric cut using two bands from just about any EQ - this approach give far more flexibility as well, fwiw. Google “Pultec low end trick” to find frequency plots showing exactly what the Pultec does for reference.
integerpoet wrote:
21 Jul 2021
This a pretty great post coming from someone who publishes an EQ rack extension. No irony; just props.
The article I posted should give the basic information to recreating the effect, but it's going to take much more work setting it up and your going to need to adjust multiple eq settings each time you use it, maybe with the updated combinator creating this type of setup will become available but it's going to still be easier to buy a device than to recreate using stock.
EQP-1A in use – The Low-end Trick
Simultaneously boosting and cutting the low frequencies can produce musically pleasing results. Bass drums can be enhanced by selecting 30Hz and dialling in similar amounts of boost and cut.

This gives a smooth peak centred around 80Hz, providing some low-end heft while scooping out some low-mids where the sound can be a bit muddy. The EQP-1A’s HF section can then be used to add definition to the click of the beater by boosting at 3, 4 or 5kHz, while the sound can be rounded off nicely by gently attenuating the extreme top.
EVE MP5 50's Equalizer £25 done...
IMG_2779.JPG
IMG_2779.JPG (70.03 KiB) Viewed 799 times

chaosroyale

24 Jul 2021

ok I made a freebie Combinator which does the "pultec" style low shelf thing, with a variable frequency, plus a tilt EQ.

It's really basic, for simple and fast shaping with a bit of character. The parameters are quite carefully selected to save time and be useful in the rack without thinking too much. Sometimes, this kind of simple EQ is all you need.

Only uses a couple of Mclass EQs, so it should work on most versions of Reason.

https://chaosmusick.com/chaosfx/
Attachments
Chaos FX push pull tilt front panel.jpg
Chaos FX push pull tilt front panel.jpg (50.15 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Chaos FX Push Pull Tilt.zip
(31 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

freshkidblaze

24 Jul 2021

I use fat channel xt by presonus

• Information