Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
iTrensharo

17 Jun 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
17 Jun 2021
Any who knows what api r12 highres will use - openGL, DirectX, or vulkan ?
Everything since Windows Vista that was developed for GUI work has been driven by DirectX - starting with Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). It would make little sense to use OpenGL for this. OpenGL in desktop applications is largely for games that must be cross platform or pro apps that use OpenGL for the rendering canvas (3D Modeling, CAD, etc.).

Vulkan is largely irrelevant.

Reason Studios is better off using native UI frameworks and rendering pipelines.

Metal on macOS. DirectX on Windows. And using the native APIs for things like scaling, etc. It just makes it easier - both for them and the end user. Because who wants their software to be the only one on the user's machine with scaling glitches/bugs?

RoryM0

17 Jun 2021

I'm starting to feel the yearning for more official info on R12. Come on RS drop some sampler/combi info on us!

bak

17 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
17 Jun 2021
I'm starting to feel the yearning for more official info on R12. Come on RS drop some sampler/combi info on us!
Same

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2021

bak wrote:
17 Jun 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
17 Jun 2021
Same
Never gonna happen.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

RoryM0

17 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
17 Jun 2021
bak wrote:
17 Jun 2021

Same
Never gonna happen.
I mean, presumably information will be forthcoming at some point before September 1st....

PhillipOrdonez

17 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
17 Jun 2021
bak wrote:
17 Jun 2021

Same
Never gonna happen.
I see constant negativity mainly from you.

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
17 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
17 Jun 2021

Never gonna happen.
I mean, presumably information will be forthcoming at some point before September 1st....
I guess the beta testers will be the first ones to see the new features, but unauthorized to comment on them. As for the others, they will see them in the announcement 2-3 weeks before the release.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
17 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
17 Jun 2021

Never gonna happen.
Njä. Doubt it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

SoundObjects

18 Jun 2021

iTrensharo wrote:
17 Jun 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
17 Jun 2021
Any who knows what api r12 highres will use - openGL, DirectX, or vulkan ?
Everything since Windows Vista that was developed for GUI work has been driven by DirectX - starting with Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). It would make little sense to use OpenGL for this. OpenGL in desktop applications is largely for games that must be cross platform or pro apps that use OpenGL for the rendering canvas (3D Modeling, CAD, etc.).

Vulkan is largely irrelevant.

Reason Studios is better off using native UI frameworks and rendering pipelines.

Metal on macOS. DirectX on Windows. And using the native APIs for things like scaling, etc. It just makes it easier - both for them and the end user. Because who wants their software to be the only one on the user's machine with scaling glitches/bugs?

In case devs using latest DirectX 12 api - Reason 12 will only run on Windows10 for PC users.
it'll be interesting to see.
The Universe Is Vibrating

DaveyG

18 Jun 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021

In case devs using latest DirectX 12 api - Reason 12 will only run on Windows10 for PC users.
If you are asking whether Reason 12 requires Windows 10 then the answer is yes.

viewtopic.php?p=555385#p555385

SoundObjects

18 Jun 2021

DaveyG wrote:
18 Jun 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021

Thanks for info.
Happy I migrated my daw last year to Windows10 :P
Though I still prefer Win 7.

slic

18 Jun 2021

Windows 11 is just about to be announced, strap in!
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/2253 ... start-menu

PhillipOrdonez

18 Jun 2021

slic wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Windows 11 is just about to be announced, strap in!
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/2253 ... start-menu
They changed their minds, then, about the whole "Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows"...

challism

18 Jun 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021
DaveyG wrote:
18 Jun 2021

Thanks for info.
I prefer Windows 7, too. I don't like 10 at all. Truth be told, I was happy with Windows XP and would gladly go back to that, if I could. The only reason I updated from XP was so I could get a 64bit version to run Reason 7.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

SoundObjects

18 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
18 Jun 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021

Thanks for info.
I prefer Windows 7, too. I don't like 10 at all. Truth be told, I was happy with Windows XP and would gladly go back to that, if I could. The only reason I updated from XP was so I could get a 64bit version to run Reason 7.
Yes - we are forced more and more by dev teams to use their way to think.
I was lured by faster hardware and drivers that didn't run nice on Win7.

iTrensharo

18 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
18 Jun 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021

Thanks for info.
I went to Windows 10 immediately on release and haven't regretted it at all. I also moved to 8 on release, and that one was annoying only due to the start screen. But both of those perform better than Windows 7 and XP, and Windows 10 is less bloated as well. Microsoft has been removing a lot of unnecessary components out of the OS, which is why some major updates actually cede storage space back to the user.

Windows 11 (if they even call it that) will just be an updated Windows 10, the same way 98 was to 95 and Windows 7 was to Vista.

That's ignoring all of the QoL improvements in Windows 10, like improvements to power management, scheduling, and vastly "superior out of the box" media CODEC/format support when compared to both 7 and (esp.) XP (AAC, FLAC, H.265/HEIC, VC1, Native QT Container Support, etc.). I'd actually say that Media Professionals probably got a bigger boost moving to Windows 10 over productivity workers...

I won't miss the overwrought transparency and fat window borders from Windows 7, or XP's Fischer Price look.

As far as support for modern hardware goes... The driver models in Windows XP are ancient compared even to Windows Vista. Vista's poor uptake really allowed XP to linger on far past its sell by date. It needed to die in 2006, but unfortunately the budget machines dominating PC sales simply were not ready for Vista. I upgraded from Vista to 7 on the same machine and it really didn't improve performance in any measurable way. I actually preferred Vista's darker theme and Taskbar to Windows 7 - which sort of walked the aesthetics back in the direction of cheesy.Start Screen was a no-go.
Last edited by iTrensharo on 18 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

orthodox
RE Developer

18 Jun 2021

Yes it's true that Win10 is slightly less resource hungry than Win7.

I hate two things about Windows 10:
1) Automatic updates that I am not allowed to control. I could put up with it, but at some point it broke down, and now my PC is trying to download the regular update every night and failing each time, and it's been that way for 6 months.
2) Some idiot at Microsoft GUI dept decided that it would be a great idea to have a uniform UI throughout all platforms, mouse-driven desktops or touchscreen handhelds. Those "Universal Applications" are ugly. As example, the Calculator app that I have to unfold to the entire FullHD display to get access to all the features.

iTrensharo

18 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Yes it's true that Win10 is slightly less resource hungry than Win7.

I hate two things about Windows 10:
1) Automatic updates that I am not allowed to control. I could put up with it, but at some point it broke down, and now my PC is trying to download the regular update every night and failing each time, and it's been that way for 6 months.
You can control the updates. Upgrade to Windows Pro an defer up to 18 months. I'm pretty sure Microsoft backported some control to Home in a past major update, as well, though you cannot defer nearly as long as with Windows 10 Professional.

18 months is longer than the release cycle of many DAWs, and DAW developers will obviously test against the latest revision of the OS at the time of development or (preferably) release. So, that's beyond safe, to the point of non-factor ;-)
2) Some idiot at Microsoft GUI dept decided that it would be a great idea to have a uniform UI throughout all platforms, mouse-driven desktops or touchscreen handhelds. Those "Universal Applications" are ugly. As example, the Calculator app that I have to unfold to the entire FullHD display to get access to all the features.
Most Windows Desktop apps are Win32 Apps that look no different than they do on XP, Vista, or 7. The Tablet stuff has always been a layer on top of the OS, and really is only relevant for universal apps means to run on both Desktops and Tablets, or machines with Touch.

Traditional Win32 Custom Controls are badly designed for Touch.

Besides, Apple has done the same thing... That's the normal evolution of these operating platforms.

The one change that I do hate, and most people miss this for some reason, is that you can no longer RDC into your desktop unless you upgrade to Windows Pro. This was an XP Home Edition feature. That's the one downgrade off of XP that I have noticed, cause I used to use this a lot esp. when I was in college. You could argue that the proliferation of cloud storage and services has rendered this largely obsolete, though.

orthodox
RE Developer

18 Jun 2021

iTrensharo wrote:
18 Jun 2021
You can control the updates. Upgrade to Windows Pro an defer up to 18 months. I'm pretty sure Microsoft backported some control to Home in a past major update, as well, though you cannot defer nearly as long as with Windows 10 Professional.
Already Pro, and I've had the option to defer it before it broke on some update. Now it's not offering the defer button anymore until that failing update is installed. Looking forward to having a long vacation, when I have a chance to reinstall it. Or I'll wait until Windows 11.
iTrensharo wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Most Windows Desktop apps are Win32 Apps that look no different than they do on XP, Vista, or 7. The Tablet stuff has always been a layer on top of the OS, and really is only relevant for universal apps means to run on both Desktops and Tablets, or machines with Touch.

Traditional Win32 Custom Controls are badly designed for Touch.

Besides, Apple has done the same thing... That's the normal evolution of these operating platforms.
It's not normal in any way that my desktop workflow gets worse in favor of some "Touch" that I'm never going to use.

jam-s

18 Jun 2021

Windows Timeline:
Win3.11 OK
Win95 Crap
Win98 OK
WinME Crap
WinXP OK
WinVista Crap
Win7 OK
Win8 Crap
Win10 OKish

So following the pattern. I'm not at all excited for Win11.

EnochLight

18 Jun 2021

jam-s wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Windows Timeline:
Win3.11 OK
Win95 Crap
Win98 OK
WinME Crap
WinXP OK
WinVista Crap
Win7 OK
Win8 Crap
Win10 OKish

That's almost like the Paramount-era Star Trek movies as well! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

challism

18 Jun 2021

jam-s wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Windows Timeline:
Win3.11 OK
Win95 Crap
Win98 OK
WinME Crap
WinXP OK
WinVista Crap
Win7 OK
Win8 Crap
Win10 OKish

Pretty accurate. Now somebody do this to Reason releases.
EnochLight wrote:
18 Jun 2021
That's almost like the Paramount-era Star Trek movies as well! :lol:
ha ha ha
Better track record than Star Wars.
Good
Great
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Crap
Mandalorian OK
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

rorystorm

19 Jun 2021

Last star wars trilogy looked like a million bucks, fanboys hated it before it was released.

Sounds like Reason 12 to me.

slic

19 Jun 2021

Moderate well balanced opinions have no place on the internet and are normally attacked by both fanboys and haters!

dhruan

19 Jun 2021

slic wrote:
19 Jun 2021
Moderate well balanced opinions have no place on the internet and are normally attacked by both fanboys and haters!
True that.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

• Information