What's the expectation for Track Folders

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
sdst
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2021

this is better than Folders
a Track manager
you have on screen only what you want to see

maybe someday Reason will have that

guitfnky

16 Jun 2021

sdst wrote:
16 Jun 2021
a Track manager

Digital Performer, right? I thought I would love that feature but for some reason I was always still fighting to find what I needed. then again, I couldn’t actually use it without crashes or performance issues that made it unusable, so I never got the chance to really learn it. if they did something like that in Reason, I’m confident it would be 1000x more user friendly (as with pretty much all things Reason, compared to DP).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

DaveyG

16 Jun 2021

Watch from 2:40 to 3:00 in this video for a simple example in Studio One:

Most DAWs have ways to hide and show individual tracks too but that is not what Folders are about. Folders are for visually keeping related parts together.

You can nest folders too so you could have:

Code: Select all

Strings
|___ Cellos
        |___Cello Track 1
        |___Cello Track 2
        |___etc
|___ Violins
        |___ Violin Track 1
        |___ etc
and expand or collapse any folder, just like a PC/Mac file browser. Folder tracks are nothing to do with mixer groups, send busses or aux busses. They are just about managing tracks in the sequencer view. The tracks play exactly the same regardless of whether they are in a folder or whether that folder is collapsed. The tracks can be audio, midi, automation. They are all treated the same.

Loque

16 Jun 2021

sdst wrote:
16 Jun 2021
a Track manager

Interesting. Not sure how it works, but sometimes i completely want to hide some tracks or make them as small as possible. Often that are tracks, which i bounced and just keep for the chance to change something and bounce again. Others would call them freezed tracks. But a real "freeze" would be more appreciated, so i could keep everything tight together, like all the synths and fx for generating a few audio tracks and keep the freezed stuff small or hidden inside this package/folder.
Reason12, Win10

chimp_spanner

16 Jun 2021

sdst wrote:
16 Jun 2021
a Track manager

I have also requested track visibility controls, and that would certainly be nice. But the benefit of folders (if implemented like Cubase) is that you could take multiple clips of varying lengths across multiple tracks, and move/copy them as one single clip at the folder track level. I *thought* Live would be able to do this too, but when there's more than one track in the group/folder, all you can do is see what's there. You can't actually drag it around and interact with it until you expand the group. Which is kind of a shame.

But yeah for me folders aren't just for visibility but actually having more control over large parts of the mix without a whole bunch of scrolling and clicking/dragging.

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2021

No expectations for me, because they would never live up to them and I'd be setting myself up for disappointment.

sdst
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2021

Loque wrote:
16 Jun 2021
Interesting. Not sure how it works, but sometimes i completely want to hide some tracks or make them as small as possible.
It is very simple, this image explains it here I have only three tracks selected , only those three appear
now imagine how good this is if you have 50 tracks
and you can hide by groups

Billy+

16 Jun 2021

I don't like the look of that....

guitfnky

16 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
16 Jun 2021
it’s pretty handy, but I don’t think that screenshot does a good job expressing that. DP is super customizable, which is great, but it comes at the price of being confusing until you get really familiar with it (I never quite made it that far with this particular feature).

guitfnky

16 Jun 2021

assuming that’s even Digital Performer 😂

BRIGGS

16 Jun 2021

If I'm not careful, my projects would devolve into a yuge mess. So anything to help with a tidy workflow, would be helpful. :lol:
r11s

Billy+

16 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Jun 2021
Billy+ wrote:
16 Jun 2021
it’s pretty handy, but I don’t think that screenshot does a good job expressing that. DP is super customizable, which is great, but it comes at the price of being confusing until you get really familiar with it (I never quite made it that far with this particular feature).
Well I guess either way RS would definitely put their own spin on the feature, however it's a fantasy that doesn't seem to be on the todo list anytime soon RRP and Reason is a Plugin looks like the focus for the future.

sdst
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Jun 2021
Billy+ wrote:
16 Jun 2021
:lol: is not DP, but I don't want to say the name of this DAW
just the theme is for my personal use :lol:

guitfnky

16 Jun 2021

sdst wrote:
16 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
16 Jun 2021

the pane on the left looks like DP, but after I looked at the other UI stuff, I wasn’t so sure. 😅 clearly, I didn’t get that well reacclimatized with DP.

Billy+

16 Jun 2021

sdst wrote:
16 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
16 Jun 2021

It's reaper ;)

DaveyG

16 Jun 2021

I was just about to suggest that it was Reaper.
Flexible but complicated. Tick!

motuscott

16 Jun 2021

Mods!!
He said that word!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

DaveyG

16 Jun 2021

motuscott wrote:
16 Jun 2021
Mods!!
He said that word!
But but but... I thought it was auto-censored! Not fair.

Billy+

16 Jun 2021

This is also reaper.
IMG_2730.JPG
IMG_2730.JPG (214.24 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

It's quite themeable but finding a good one isn't as easy as you might think, the best logic clone is provided via the forum and requires you to support the author with PayPal payment in the hope he emails it to you. :?

PhillipOrdonez

16 Jun 2021

If it is at least as good as how live handles groups I'll be happy 🤷‍♂️

Creativemind

21 Jul 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
16 Jun 2021
Being Reason, with its rack-centric approach I can imagine folders in the sequencer being tied to and containing whatever devices reside in each combinator 2.0.
Maybe that's what we'll see in Reason 12 to coincide with this Combi 2?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

zoidkirb

22 Jul 2021

Creativemind wrote:
21 Jul 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
16 Jun 2021
Being Reason, with its rack-centric approach I can imagine folders in the sequencer being tied to and containing whatever devices reside in each combinator 2.0.
Maybe that's what we'll see in Reason 12 to coincide with this Combi 2?
My money is on something like this still.
Maybe not an ideal solution for everyone but it will help a lot.

• Information