How have the introductions of VSTs changed how you use Reason?

Discuss VST stuff here!
dvdrtldg

03 Jun 2021

I wish VST windows in Reason didn't have to be pinned to stay open

I don't know about anyone else, but I always find myself wanting to do stuff in the rack while the VST is open - e.g. if it's an instrument, then fiddling around with insert FX or panning in the rack - and having that "oops" moment when the VST disappears because I forgot to pin it

It's just a small thing, but to me it makes more sense to have the VST window stay open by default, then you click (or better, keystroke) to make it go away

[Makes me wonder, is there a keystroke for pinning the VST window? Must check manual]

Carpainter

08 Jun 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
27 May 2021
This is why I wanted the new combinator so much: VSTs in the rack are really powerful, but lack instant visual feedback and a UI in-the-rack, so if we can build our own UIs, that really will improve workflow and usability.
This is why I'm hoping for the ability to create enough knobs and CV inputs to cover all device parameters. Being able to fully control a VST instrument with a souped-up Combinator would make working with VST instrument so much easier and allow for more modulation/control options. I really hope they come through for the minority of us nerds who care about such things.

As it stands, I mostly use VST instruments and effects despite the current limitations because VST development has far outpaced Reason's stock devices. There are so many high-quality free VSTs available these day that I haven't been tempted to buy anything in years.

DaveyG

08 Jun 2021

Carpainter wrote:
08 Jun 2021
Being able to fully control a VST instrument with a souped-up Combinator would make working with VST instrument so much easier and allow for more modulation/control options.
I'm quite interested in whether the new combinator will allow us to host VSTs in it when used in the RRP because the current one does not so I have combinators that won't load in the plugin version of Reason.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2021

DaveyG wrote:
08 Jun 2021
I'm quite interested in whether the new combinator will allow us to host VSTs in it when used in the RRP because the current one does not so I have combinators that won't load in the plugin version of Reason.
Only if RRP is able to host VSTs, otherwise no.

Jackjackdaw

08 Jun 2021

I've said this before, but if RS synths had been a bit cheaper I probably would never have bought any VSTs. I don't love using them in Reason though. Too many limitations. Lately I have been making pure Reason projects in standalone and pure VST projects in Reaper. I enjoy the different flavors of both.

ltbrunt00

09 Jun 2021

VSTs in Reason has cost me thousands of dollars. I Possibly have VST addiction, specifically I blame Spitfire Audio for my wallets demise. At least I get discounts on almost everything I buy from them these days.

These days My projects are about 60 to 70% VST. 30% Spitfire audio, 20% Kontakt, 20% other VST products. All effects are mostly Reason stock and Rack extensions. I generally use Reason synths whenever possible to cut down on resources. If I don't use Reason synths I turn to Arturia. for Piano I use Waves Grand Rhapsody way to much.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Steedus
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2021

I've definitely used Reason more since the inclusion of VSTs, and I had never actually used them before that, being a long time sole Reason user. A couple of RE makers like Ekss are bringing me back around to RE's, but VSTs just generally seem more exciting, and better put together (yes I'm including looks here).

Quarmat
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2021

I prefer to rely on stock devices and REs when composing. I have some Instrument VSTs but mainly for instruments that aren't (hopefully) yet covered by RS in a comparable level of detail (e.g.: Friktion has replaced StringWerks and other VSTs sampler string libraries, but there isn't -yet- a good RS device or RE that can cover me with horns so I rely to Orchestral Companion: Brass or Session Horns Pro), but my VSTs are 99% Effects, especially mastering effects monitoring effects, as FabFilter suite (the limiter is super good) or Youlean Loudeness Meter.

Should RS or REs Developers deliver a new and Industry level Mastering suite and a Brass modeling synth (à la Friktion) I would stick with the rack.

phithegoldenratio

10 Jun 2021

what bugs me with many /most (not all) VSTs is the automation handling. REs always snap to the position they had before automating in the sequencer and exactly THIS behavior is what I like. VSTs so many times revert their position to zero or 100%... the workaround is to create automation lanes prior to modulating them and having the fixed amount set where you want - but of course this takes quite some time.

phithegoldenratio

10 Jun 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Jun 2021

I don't know about anyone else, but I always find myself wanting to do stuff in the rack while the VST is open - e.g. if it's an instrument, then fiddling around with insert FX or panning in the rack - and having that "oops" moment when the VST disappears because I forgot to pin it

It's just a small thing, but to me it makes more sense to have the VST window stay open by default, then you click (or better, keystroke) to make it go away

[Makes me wonder, is there a keystroke for pinning the VST window? Must check manual]
in the same boat with this. no matter what, I always find myself closing and re-opening that damn windows :D

jaeproduced

11 Jun 2021

Ahornberg wrote:
26 May 2021
Without VST support I would have left Reason.
Yes I concur it's the VST capability that make Reason great with the ability to CV layer devices I hardly ever use RE's anymore...

plaamook

12 Jun 2021

DaveyG wrote:
02 Jun 2021
... I would love the ability to drag a single RE out of the rack and into its own resizable window. I don't care about the cables, just give me the front panel in a form that makes better use of my screens...
Yeah absolutely. VST's just made me want to be able to float RE's when I need to.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

12 Jun 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Same. Just screws with my work flow somehow.
But a tic option in settings is a way better Idea than changing the default.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information