VST alternative to Friktion?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Jackjackdaw

11 Jun 2021

Anyone know of something similar to Friktion in VST?

DaveyG

11 Jun 2021

SWAM strings are about as good as modelled strings get but if you are looking for realism then both SWAM and Friktion are blown away by most decent Kontakt libraries. Strings are all about articulations, expressiveness and nuance. You could spend hours with the controls in Friktion and still never match the realism of a properly produced sample library. Modelled strings, and other modelled instruments, are compact and have their uses but there is a reason that modelled instruments are very much in the minority.

Billy+

11 Jun 2021

Well if you're looking for physical string model I spotted this some time ago.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 159-Sakura

As for how good it is I don't have a clue
IMG_2723.JPG
IMG_2723.JPG (161.02 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
It's not friktion though
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG (234.65 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

DaveyG

11 Jun 2021

Don't buy Sakura or any other VST by Image Line. They are VST versions of FL Studio instruments and Image Line have recently discontinued them. The FL Studio versions will continue to be maintained/developed but the VST versions are forever frozen. They're no longer available in Image Line's shop so I'm a bit surprised to see Sakura still in the PB shop.

Also Sakura is really not that good!

Billy+

11 Jun 2021

DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2021
Don't buy Sakura or any other VST by Image Line. They are VST versions of FL Studio instruments and Image Line have recently discontinued them. The FL Studio versions will continue to be maintained/developed but the VST versions are forever frozen. They're no longer available in Image Line's shop so I'm a bit surprised to see Sakura still in the PB shop.

Yeah I'm definitely not recommending it, I've got Friktion :thumbs_up:
I'm just answering the OP question ;)

Took me ages to have a play after buying it and every time I use it it sounds great. Friktion that is...

freshkidblaze

11 Jun 2021

What about Solina Redux?

Jackjackdaw

11 Jun 2021

Yeah I'm not looking for realism. I like the synthy nature of the modelling.

joeyluck

12 Jun 2021

If you want synthy, I wouldn't recommend SWAM because it is very focused on natural sound and it's very convincing. I have SWAM as well as other string libraries such as the Tina Guo cello ones, and SWAM sounds more realistic because of how it plays and the control over expressiveness. If you want the most realistic sounding, and most expressive string plugin you can play, go with SWAM.

Maybe other plugins you want to check out are chromaphone VST or Resonans RE?

Goriila Texas

13 Jun 2021

I was wondering what happened to their vst's as I was looking to purchase Edison. Makes me wonder how long will my imageline vst's work. I guess it cost too much to keep them.

DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2021

DaveyG

13 Jun 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
13 Jun 2021
I was wondering what happened to their vst's as I was looking to purchase Edison. Makes me wonder how long will my imageline vst's work. I guess it cost too much to keep them.
IL said that they were becoming too much work to keep them updated and that they bring in very little money so they plan to release one final update for each VST then nothing. They have already removed them form the shop but some are still available from 3rd party shops. The VSTs will continue to work until something breaks them, like a new release of Windows or something.

lychee

27 Jun 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
11 Jun 2021
Anyone know of something similar to Friktion in VST?
I think in this concept the plugin that seems closest to Friktion is String Studio VS-3 from Applied Acoustics Systems.
A plugin whose base is the simulation of strings but which is not limited to that.
As said above but more oriented percussive sounds (but not only ...), there is also Chromaphone 3 from the same publisher.
But in my opinion, Friktion is far above in terms of sound quality, even if AAS products are still good products.
DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2021
SWAM strings are about as good as modelled strings get but if you are looking for realism then both SWAM and Friktion are blown away by most decent Kontakt libraries. Strings are all about articulations, expressiveness and nuance. You could spend hours with the controls in Friktion and still never match the realism of a properly produced sample library. Modelled strings, and other modelled instruments, are compact and have their uses but there is a reason that modelled instruments are very much in the minority.
Friktion has become my all time favorite plugin because it makes me feel like I'm playing the real instruments.
I have lots of sample-based string plugins (Embertone Intimate Strings, Chris Hein Ensemble Strings ...), and there's always a time when the sound doesn't match what I have in mind.
The sample is not malleable enough and does not offer the flexibility of Frikton and the Swam Engine.
It is true that these physically modeled instruments require a lot of editing work (even more for Friktion), but well mastered, they can prove to be much more convincing than any sample plugins.

huggermugger

17 Jul 2021

AAS, whose specialty is physical modelling, has String Studio VS-3. It sounds gorgeous.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 1.27.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 1.27.42 PM.png (628.49 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 1.27.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 1.27.45 PM.png (640.13 KiB) Viewed 1280 times

huggermugger

17 Jul 2021

And as somebody mentioned, there's also Chromaphone, which primarily models percussion, but it has a String algorithm.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 1.31.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 1.31.12 PM.png (411.96 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

• Information