(Jungle/Drum and Bass) The Aye of the Tiger

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2021

More of a jungle feel to this track and appreciate any comments to help me with my learning process. Brass instruments added as a little nod to Yorkshire where i have lived for the last 20 years along with the playful title.

I hope some enjoy :thumbup:

Popey
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2021

Version 2. I am trying to get my head around mixing and mastering but struggle at times. Any comments appreciated.

Billy+

08 Jun 2021

Hi popey I'm interested in finding out if you DnB people are programming your drum patterns using player / pattern devices and Reason based kits or using loops?

Any chance you could share your secrets?

If you're using a Reason kit what ones do you find best suites the genre?

Thanks in advance.

Popey
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Jun 2021
Hi popey I'm interested in finding out if you DnB people are programming your drum patterns using player / pattern devices and Reason based kits or using loops?

Any chance you could share your secrets?

If you're using a Reason kit what ones do you find best suites the genre?

Thanks in advance.
Hi billy in this track the kick, snare, hi hats, ride and perc (conga/bongo things) are all programmed but there is also a number of different amen breaks that I have cut up and then processed in different ways. That said in some of my other tracks i have used kong and beatmap to create breaks and then chopped them up as i see fit.

As for the samples used to program the drums they are sadly not from reason soundbank but from various sample packs either free or purchased. I use live with rrp and in this track there are multiple rs bus compressors, synchronous, rs channel strip eq and synapse reverb. You can quite easily write a dnb track using reason soundbank though I am sure.

Billy+

08 Jun 2021

Thanks popey.

keep the tracks coming as I always take a listen :thumbs_up:

raymondh

10 Jun 2021

I wish I could program percussion this well!

Nice job!

PhillipOrdonez

10 Jun 2021

Nice drums. Only thing I can think of regarding the mix is the kick sounds a bit flabby to me but that may be a genre thing. I don't often listen to dnb anymore.

Popey
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
10 Jun 2021
Nice drums. Only thing I can think of regarding the mix is the kick sounds a bit flabby to me but that may be a genre thing. I don't often listen to dnb anymore.
Hi Phillip thank you for listening and the constructive criticism. I agree about the kick but not sure what I need to do to fix it. I am currently working my way through The mixing engineers handbook and watching videos but still got a lot to learn/improve on with regard mixing and mastering.

Without kissing butt too much your house tracks sound great so wondered if you would mind letting me know how you would approach sorting the kick. Any assistance appreciated as small things seem to add up when using eq/compression etc from what I have learnt so far.

PhillipOrdonez

10 Jun 2021

Easy: use a different sample.

PhillipOrdonez

10 Jun 2021

If you are set on this very kick though: EQ out somewhere between 200 and 350 ish; if you bump up the gain a bit between those frequencies with a mid sized a, you'll hear a distinctive sound which is the one you want to take out, then turn it down a few dB and that'll improve your kick. It may or may not work on this particular style though so trial and error is king as is with everything audio engineering related.

PhillipOrdonez

10 Jun 2021

Alternatively, or in addition, use a compressor to bring out the smack of the beater. You can do this with an attack of somewhere roughly between 45 -65 (depends on the exact sound you want to bring out) and a very fast release, like 1ms or less. Ratio 2-1 to 4-1 and a gain reduction of about 12 dB. Do not use auto gain settings, instead adjust gain to compensate by ear si kick is as loud it was before compressor. That should work. Again, this is something you have to adjust to taste but that should get you started on a good direction.

Oh and place the compressor before the EQ here.

Popey
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
10 Jun 2021
Alternatively, or in addition, use a compressor to bring out the smack of the beater. You can do this with an attack of somewhere roughly between 45 -65 (depends on the exact sound you want to bring out) and a very fast release, like 1ms or less. Ratio 2-1 to 4-1 and a gain reduction of about 12 dB. Do not use auto gain settings, instead adjust gain to compensate by ear si kick is as loud it was before compressor. That should work. Again, this is something you have to adjust to taste but that should get you started on a good direction.

Oh and place the compressor before the EQ here.
Wow, thank you so much for the advice I am going to take this on board and see which of the above gets the kick to be how I want. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me so thanks again 👍

PhillipOrdonez

10 Jun 2021

Cheers Popey! Hope that helps!

Popey
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2021

Tried to take on board the helpful teachings above and would never have used that much gain reduction without this shared knowledge. Think the Kick is tighter now in Version 3 and the big thing i take from this is to try stuff and being conservative is not always best.

• Information