Ekssperimental Sounds: TAPEFUNK M10 RE released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2021

epoch wrote:
06 Jun 2021
It's OK, you can call me cynical too but I personally don't think the Ekss REs are all that. They seem to look a lot, lot better than they actually sound. The Ekss stuff is the other way round in some respects - absolutely world class graphics and visual design but the sounds just don't do it for me in any of the REs I've tried
Got to ask...what ones have you tried? Interested to hear which of his devices you dont think sound good. Have you tried Industrializer or Filter Chain for example? Or the Dub Soundsystem one?. Personally I place Ekss up there as one of the higher quality developers. I’m not going to name the RE heroes but we know who they are right? You are right about his GUIs though. Awesome.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Yonatan

08 Jun 2021

Imulse Responses or not. I have only tried spring reverb and it gave a sound I was after. Will have to try the other stuff. Love to see the effects in the shop in a time where RE shop is at a lower point.
But it is amazing how one can use RE in RRP in other DAWs also.

epoch

08 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
07 Jun 2021
epoch wrote:
06 Jun 2021
It's OK, you can call me cynical too but I personally don't think the Ekss REs are all that. They seem to look a lot, lot better than they actually sound. The Ekss stuff is the other way round in some respects - absolutely world class graphics and visual design but the sounds just don't do it for me in any of the REs I've tried
Got to ask...what ones have you tried? Interested to hear which of his devices you dont think sound good. Have you tried Industrializer or Filter Chain for example? Or the Dub Soundsystem one?. Personally I place Ekss up there as one of the higher quality developers. I’m not going to name the RE heroes but we know who they are right? You are right about his GUIs though. Awesome.
I've trialed all of them. I found the FX pretty generic and the instruments un-inspiring. The graphics are to die for though.

challism

08 Jun 2021

epoch wrote:
08 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
07 Jun 2021

I've trialed all of them. I found the FX pretty generic and the instruments un-inspiring. The graphics are to die for though.
Interesting to read your thoughts. I think we can all agree that Ekss GUI is to die for; world-class graphics, no doubt. I haven't tried many Ekss REs, so I can't really chime in for most of them. I have tried 4, and of those 4, I only own 3.

I have ES400 (FM synth) and have enjoyed it. But to be honest, since Algoritm has been in my rack, I reach for that 100% of the time when I want an FM synth. Algo pretty much blows every FM synth away, and I don't see changing any time soon. The "new" factor has well worn off and I'm still loving Algo.

I have the Ekss spring reverb that was initially offered for free. It sounds pretty good but it's sucks up a lot of DSP. But I do use it when I am wanting to introduce some King Tubby type sounds.

I just bought Ekss Industrializer during the May Madness sale and am still blown away by this effect device. I love it so much! I knew I was going to buy it after trying it for about 5 minutes. It's wonderful and I can't speak too highly about it. I can't believe you don't like this device.

I have no idea about the rest of the Ekss product line, other than saying they look fantastic. I wish RS would hire Erik to do all their GUI.
Yonatan wrote:
08 Jun 2021
Imulse Responses or not. I have only tried spring reverb and it gave a sound I was after. Will have to try the other stuff. Love to see the effects in the shop in a time where RE shop is at a lower point.
But it is amazing how one can use RE in RRP in other DAWs also.
I really like that spring reverb. Too bad it sucks up the DSP, but whatever. It sounds good and delivers when you are looking for that certain King Tubby type sound. So you only trialed it? Did you not pick it up when it was offered for free? That was version 1, anyway. I think version 2 has some extra stuff (including a price tag). I got version 1 when it was free for a week or two. :)

I have to imagine that the RRP has helped RE sales a bit. Some of the REs in the shop are so good, even when compared to the VSTs on the market. And I know a lot of other DAW users were excited to be able to finally use some REs (and Reason devices, such as Thor). And I agree, it is nice to see Ekss pumping out REs during a time when RE development seems to have hit a lull. A handful of developers seem to be keeping active, and I appreciate that.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ekss
RE Developer

08 Jun 2021

First! - really nice to hear you guys are liking the sound!

To answer some of the critique;

GUI is like it is because I wanted it to resemble the original unit (like MrFigg pointed out). I like to keep my RE's as close to "real" as possible, much because I really like the hardware rack analogy that is the core of Reason.

Regards to the "only IR and some hiss" - it's actually more happening 'behind the scenes' - I updated the product page today with some more details (those were only found in the info sheet earlier).

And about the price being a bit on the high side, well it's many hours of work behind every RE and since I did this one with Past to Future we're also sharing the earnings. There are plans on an 1.1 update with some added controls - and the updates will be free. And there will always be sales coming up, like BF and MM ;)
Last edited by ekss on 08 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

ekss
RE Developer

08 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
08 Jun 2021
I really like that spring reverb. Too bad it sucks up the DSP, but whatever. It sounds good and delivers when you are looking for that certain King Tubby type sound.

I'll investigate if a "quality switch" could be done (and still sound ok) to save some power!

challism

08 Jun 2021

ekss wrote:
08 Jun 2021
challism wrote:
08 Jun 2021
I really like that spring reverb. Too bad it sucks up the DSP, but whatever. It sounds good and delivers when you are looking for that certain King Tubby type sound.

I'll investigate if a "quality switch" could be done (and still sound ok) to save some power!
That would be awesome. I hope I didn't come across as complaining. Only a fool would complain about a free RE, right? Thanks again for the gift! I think it sounds good.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ekss
RE Developer

08 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
08 Jun 2021
ekss wrote:
08 Jun 2021

That would be awesome. I hope I didn't come across as complaining. Only a fool would complain about a free RE, right? Thanks again for the gift! I think it sounds good.
Not at all!
It might take some time thou, many projects at the moment and trying to finish them all first :-)

Yonatan

08 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
08 Jun 2021
ekss wrote:
08 Jun 2021

Yes, I did grab it but also bought the update.
Have not used it on a whole big mix yet so have not felt the cpu load. If a lower option switch would be possible, that would be a great thing.
Sounds interesting that more RE are on its way. RE lives on! I once was a bit worried that RE as idea would one day fade out, but now when the Rack can be a plugin and vst are allowed in the DAW,
it is quite exciting times. Any RE could be used in other DAWs. It is extraordinary. But I love using Reason standalone, but the freedom that has developed is a really nice thing. And I also really hope that the RE devs will benefit soon enough from the spread of RRP.

kbard

21 Jun 2021

ekss wrote:
08 Jun 2021
Just please leave sound quality as it is now. Weeks later I am still blown away of this. It works fantastic. Even at 96khz I don't have any issue with CPU consumption but my configurations is quite new and probably extreme (16 cores).

Am I hearing this correctly, there is some sort of compression in the signal as well? This is not just tape impulse loaded in it. I hear some compression and saturation FX. ??

My only feature request would be that I would like to have Dry/Wet mix but otherwise it's perfect really. Price is also right. GUI fantastic. But sound is what I am amazed with. In some cases effect is so nice but a little bit too much hence my Dry/Wet between 0-100%. I can decrease character by turning down input and raising output but dry wet would make it faster to work with.

I also understand that in some cases Dry/Wet probably isn't possible even though it sound very simplistic like "hey it's just a dry-wet control" so even if you don't ever add it, I am perfectly satisfied with the product as it is.

Keep up the good work.

ekss
RE Developer

23 Jun 2021

kbard wrote:
21 Jun 2021

Just please leave sound quality as it is now. Weeks later I am still blown away of this. It works fantastic. Even at 96khz I don't have any issue with CPU consumption but my configurations is quite new and probably extreme (16 cores).

Am I hearing this correctly, there is some sort of compression in the signal as well? This is not just tape impulse loaded in it. I hear some compression and saturation FX. ??

My only feature request would be that I would like to have Dry/Wet mix but otherwise it's perfect really. Price is also right. GUI fantastic. But sound is what I am amazed with. In some cases effect is so nice but a little bit too much hence my Dry/Wet between 0-100%. I can decrease character by turning down input and raising output but dry wet would make it faster to work with.

I also understand that in some cases Dry/Wet probably isn't possible even though it sound very simplistic like "hey it's just a dry-wet control" so even if you don't ever add it, I am perfectly satisfied with the product as it is.

Keep up the good work.
Im happy you like the Tapefunk!

A quality switch would not alter the sound when set to Default. It would (if sounding ok/having a significant effect) provide an option for lower CPU consumption.
But I still have to look into it :)

Yes your right, there’s a bunch of stuff happening “behind the scenes” besides the IR. Like Tube type gain, compression, limiting and eq stuff.

I suspect a dry/wet mix could introduce some phase issues but need to test that. If it works out nice it’s a good addition!

I’ve already started experimenting with adding a tube drive offset and EQ bias curves. Only on prototype stage yet, but be sure updates will come in the future (free for owners of 1.0) .

Cheers!
/Erik

Faastwalker

24 Jun 2021

Just spotted this from Softube;

Different kind of device of course. But looks similar to TAPEFUNK. All that empty space is giving me serious OCD issues!! :|

SpeculationStudios

24 Jun 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
24 Jun 2021
Just spotted this from Softube;

Different kind of device of course. But looks similar to TAPEFUNK. All that empty space is giving me serious OCD issues!! :|
If the comparison is to an Ekssperimental Sounds product, then it should probably be compared against the GUI of TE TapeEcho Mk2 https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... eecho-mk2/
Of course, I would also like to see a head to head comparison of the effects capabilities as well.

Steedus
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2021

Holy shit that looks (and sounds) pretty tasty, though I think Ekss provides a superior funk to the tape part 😆

joeyluck

21 Nov 2023

ekss wrote:
23 Jun 2021
kbard wrote:
21 Jun 2021

Keep up the good work.
Im happy you like the Tapefunk!

A quality switch would not alter the sound when set to Default. It would (if sounding ok/having a significant effect) provide an option for lower CPU consumption.
But I still have to look into it :)

Yes your right, there’s a bunch of stuff happening “behind the scenes” besides the IR. Like Tube type gain, compression, limiting and eq stuff.

I suspect a dry/wet mix could introduce some phase issues but need to test that. If it works out nice it’s a good addition!

I’ve already started experimenting with adding a tube drive offset and EQ bias curves. Only on prototype stage yet, but be sure updates will come in the future (free for owners of 1.0) .

Cheers!
/Erik
Any updates on the possibility of a mix control? I love the sound, but like kbard mentions, sometimes I want to dial it back a little, as I would do on other devices like Audiomatic.

I wonder also if there could be some level of control given to the other effects under the hood, even if just a single on/off for those in order to just have the IRs processing, if you want to hear it with just the IR and have it follow other effects in your own chain. An overall intensity could be cool too.

If there are phasing issues with a mix control, would that be because of the other effects aside from the IRs? Because I know if it was just a "reverb", it could be mixed without phasing.

ekss
RE Developer

21 Nov 2023

joeyluck wrote:
21 Nov 2023
Truth is this update has been way too long at the "low priority-list" - I'll try to make time for looking into this asap! Rest assure, updates will come :)

joeyluck

21 Nov 2023

ekss wrote:
21 Nov 2023
joeyluck wrote:
21 Nov 2023
Truth is this update has been way too long at the "low priority-list" - I'll try to make time for looking into this asap! Rest assure, updates will come :)
Cool :thumbup:

Steedus
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2023

An update would be nice. Some extra internal settings to tweak would be ideal - even if it's relegated to the back panel to keep the current look.

• Information