Hello World tutorial on Windows 10

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
wendallsan

08 Jun 2021

After finally proving myself able to build the examples in the SDK, confirming that my development environment is working well enough to get that far, I've moved on to the "Hello World" tutorial at https://developer.reasonstudios.com/lea ... /tutorials

I've walked through everything up to building the extension to view the panel in the "Try the graphics in Recon" section of the page. I'm able to build the GUI files using RE2DRender.exe, but when I run the `python build45.py local45 Testing` command, I got the response:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\danst\Documents\Workspace\HelloWorld\build45.py", line 34, in <module>
    import buildconfig
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'buildconfig'
A little research got me instructions on how to install this module with the command:

pip install buildconfig
The next attempt resulted in a complaint about no module found for yaml, which was resolved with:

pip install pyyaml
This got me to my current point, which is that a NotImplementedError('no support for this platform') is being thrown.

Is anyone able to suggest a solution?

Here is the full output:

C:\Users\danst\Documents\Workspace\HelloWorld>python build45.py local45 Testing
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\danst\Documents\Workspace\HelloWorld\build45.py", line 34, in <module>
    import buildconfig
  File "C:\Users\danst\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\buildconfig\__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
    from . import runpersistent
  File "C:\Users\danst\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\buildconfig\runpersistent\__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    raise NotImplementedError('no support for this platform')
NotImplementedError: no support for this platform

orthodox
RE Developer

08 Jun 2021

Seems like you did not specify the correct Jukebox SDK directory path in your 'build45.py' script.
There must be a line there, like:

JUKEBOX_SDK_DIR = "...<your-sdk-location>.../JukeboxSDK_420/SDK"

ekss
RE Developer

08 Jun 2021

I recall something about a script not liking folders with blank spaces, so make sure your patchway is something like this:

.../Rack_Extension_Development/JukeboxSDK_410_109_Mac/
and not:

.../Rack Extension Development/JukeboxSDK_410_109_Mac/

orthodox
RE Developer

08 Jun 2021

And you can probably uninstall that buildconfig you installed. The proper buildconfig is in SDK/Tools/Build.

wendallsan

08 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
08 Jun 2021
Seems like you did not specify the correct Jukebox SDK directory path in your 'build45.py' script.
There must be a line there, like:

JUKEBOX_SDK_DIR = "...<your-sdk-location>.../JukeboxSDK_420/SDK"
Thank you-- this is the 1st time I'm trying to build anything outside of the /SDK/Examples folder and I see that the JUKEBOX_SDK_DIR is set to get to the SDK relatively which of course will not work in this different location. I updated this to point to "C:/Users/Public/Documents/ReasonStudios/JukeboxSDK_4.2.0/SDK" rather than use the relative path, but didn't seem to change anything when I run the build45 script again. Further fooling around lead me to uninstall the buildconfig that I installed via pip, which I did earlier as python was complaining that it wasn't installed, again probably all related to the fact that the SDK wasn't available. After doing this, I'm now able to run the build45.py script on my HelloWorld project and get it to build successfully. Many thanks again for helping me figure this out!

challism

08 Jun 2021

I'm going to move this into the RE Dev subforum
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information