Recording Delay/Latency: I'm having trouble please help!

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
darylward251

07 Jun 2021

Hi everyone, I feel like my issue should be simple to fix but I can't figure it out. I've tried searching the forum for an answer already but can't find it.

When I record audio, there is latency, so any recorded audio plays back "late'.

This is basic, beginner level stuff, I understand that my interface has output latency and input latency, and that is the reason why the audio arrives at Reason late.

I am trying to set up Reason so that it compensates for this, so that the recorded audio is automatically adjusted to the correct position.

However, it seems that no matter how I adjust the Recording Latency Compensation slider, it makes NO difference to the the positioning of the audio.

My work around has been manually repositioning the recorded audio by moving it earlier in the sequencer timeline. This is interupting my workflow but it's the only way I've been able to solve the problem.

Can anybody help me get to a point where recorded audio is moved to the correct point automatically?

Major thanks in advance,
Daryl

EDIT: solved, had to downgrade to 11.3.4, which is available from the Reason Studios site, delay compensation worked like a dream after this. thanks for your help :)
Last edited by darylward251 on 08 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

07 Jun 2021

Unfortunately it looks like there is no fix at the moment other than to install a previous version assuming your problem is the same as posted here. viewtopic.php?p=555936#p555936

darylward251

07 Jun 2021

Hi Billy,

Thanks for the reply! My issue is practically identical to the one shown in the above video; however I have used Reason for a long time and have had this problem in other DAWS (Tracktion) as well. I will download version 11.3.4 and see if it works out for me.

Just saying that the issue isnt solved yet so if anybody has any other ideas or tips, please let me know. $30 to whoever finds the fix :)

orthodox
RE Developer

07 Jun 2021

darylward251 wrote:
07 Jun 2021
Just saying that the issue isnt solved yet so if anybody has any other ideas or tips, please let me know.
Does just disabling the Delay Compensation work? That's the proper way to record. I don't see it as a bug if the DC introduces various delays.

dannyF

07 Jun 2021

Clown Studios

guitfnky

07 Jun 2021

I’ve had trouble with latency on occasion specifically with delay compensation on, in multiple DAWs. I think if you’ve got one or more plugins that introduce significant delay in a session, it has to delay your inputs to technically keep things in time with the large delays that are happening internally. usually just turning off delay compensation during tracking fixes it. of course, remembering to turn it back on is another story.

Ableton has a useful option that gives you the best of both worlds. allows you to leave latency compensation on, but anything being record monitored is low latency.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

darylward251

08 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
07 Jun 2021
darylward251 wrote:
07 Jun 2021
Just saying that the issue isnt solved yet so if anybody has any other ideas or tips, please let me know.
Does just disabling the Delay Compensation work? That's the proper way to record. I don't see it as a bug if the DC introduces various delays.
Just tried disabling Delay Compensation on the most recent version of Reason, no change. Downgrading to 11.3.4 solved the problem, delay compensation worked like I imagine it should!
Last edited by darylward251 on 08 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

darylward251

08 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
07 Jun 2021
I’ve had trouble with latency on occasion specifically with delay compensation on, in multiple DAWs. I think if you’ve got one or more plugins that introduce significant delay in a session, it has to delay your inputs to technically keep things in time with the large delays that are happening internally. usually just turning off delay compensation during tracking fixes it. of course, remembering to turn it back on is another story.

Ableton has a useful option that gives you the best of both worlds. allows you to leave latency compensation on, but anything being record monitored is low latency.
Hi guitfnky,

Unfortunately this latency is occuring without any other VSTs or plugins. However I can confirm that by downgrading to 11.3.4, this has resolved the issue!

• Information