Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
adfielding

07 Jun 2021

I was going to post something long and rambly about how I feel about Reason 12 at the present time (and from what we know about it), but then I realised nobody likes a rambling downer of a post - so I'll sum it up by saying that I no longer really feel like the target audience for Reason, and that's both perfectly unsurprising and totally fine. Time moves on, things change, etc. Necessity has unfortunately taken a lot of the agency out of the question of "do I use the creatively fun software that I've enjoyed for decades and have a huge attachment to, or do I use something else that doesn't require me to fight it to get it to do what I need?".

MuttReason

07 Jun 2021

epoch wrote:
07 Jun 2021
What happened to the thread asking whether the SSL Mixer would be getting HiDPI assets too? It seems to have vanished. It was a very legitimate query and as was stated in a reply there; it will show just how much RS really care about their own DAW...
I was about to ask the same thing! I don’t mind if the mods have decided (for whatever reason) to delete it, but if this was a deliberate deletion then some transparency would be helpful. At least tell us it has been deleted, and why. I don’t see how anything in that thread breached forum rules.

Zac

07 Jun 2021

adfielding wrote:
07 Jun 2021
I was going to post something long and rambly about how I feel about Reason 12 at the present time (and from what we know about it), but then I realised nobody likes a rambling downer of a post - so I'll sum it up by saying that I no longer really feel like the target audience for Reason, and that's both perfectly unsurprising and totally fine. Time moves on, things change, etc. Necessity has unfortunately taken a lot of the agency out of the question of "do I use the creatively fun software that I've enjoyed for decades and have a huge attachment to, or do I use something else that doesn't require me to fight it to get it to do what I need?".
I can really relate to your post.
Making the leap from R10 to 12 with the latest deal made sense for me especially with a 3rd party offer. But I no longer see Reason as the all in one solution as I used to. So I've moved on.

I will still use Reason and look forward to the visual improvements but I no longer waste any energy expecting it to be an up to date well thought out solution.

guitfnky

07 Jun 2021

adfielding wrote:
07 Jun 2021
totally agree. I’ll always be optimistic and looking around that next corner to see if they’ll finally start focusing on the stuff I need, but it’s getting clearer and clearer that they’re not too interested in the DAW side of things these days. seems like the focus is on adding more bells and whistles to all the existing bells and whistles, rather than making it a robust tool for end-to-end music making.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MuttReason

07 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
07 Jun 2021
adfielding wrote:
07 Jun 2021
totally agree. I’ll always be optimistic and looking around that next corner to see if they’ll finally start focusing on the stuff I need, but it’s getting clearer and clearer that they’re not too interested in the DAW side of things these days. seems like the focus is on adding more bells and whistles to all the existing bells and whistles, rather than making it a robust tool for end-to-end music making.
I think that’s probably right (although to be clear, at this point none of us know *for certain* what the future holds for Reason). If Reason = the rack + DAW of choice, then so be it. If that is the case, then Reason is essentially a super-modular rompler, and there are a number of quality of life enhancements (beyond hi-res) that would take the rack to the next level… many of which have previously been pointed out on this board. I would love to see MIDI drag and drop from Reason Players, similar to drag and drop from DrOctRex and Redrum. Shouldn’t be hard to do but would be great (in my workflow in Live, anyway).

Ultimately if Reason morphs into just the rack (and the DAW is essentially deprecated over time), RS will be competing with well-developed rompler ecosystems like NI. Yes, I know Reason is modular and massively flexible - it’s not just a giant sound bank - but conceptually Reason’s role in music creation would be not that different to any other large library sound source like NI. The Maschine + Komplete package is pretty compelling (although in cost terms the equivalent of a few years of Reason+ subs!). Question is how Reason would fare long term in that part of the market. I think it would hold its own as long as RS keep expanding the capabilities of the RRP and don’t get silly with the economics (eg upgrade prices move up into multi-hundred £/$/€ and R+ sub ratchets up each year far beyond inflation). I hope I’m right!

guitfnky

07 Jun 2021

MuttReason wrote:
07 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
07 Jun 2021

I think that’s probably right (although to be clear, at this point none of us know *for certain* what the future holds for Reason). If Reason = the rack + DAW of choice, then so be it. If that is the case, then Reason is essentially a super-modular rompler, and there are a number of quality of life enhancements (beyond hi-res) that would take the rack to the next level… many of which have previously been pointed out on this board. I would love to see MIDI drag and drop from Reason Players, similar to drag and drop from DrOctRex and Redrum. Shouldn’t be hard to do but would be great (in my workflow in Live, anyway).

Ultimately if Reason morphs into just the rack (and the DAW is essentially deprecated over time), RS will be competing with well-developed rompler ecosystems like NI. Yes, I know Reason is modular and massively flexible - it’s not just a giant sound bank - but conceptually Reason’s role in music creation would be not that different to any other large library sound source like NI. The Maschine + Komplete package is pretty compelling (although in cost terms the equivalent of a few years of Reason+ subs!). Question is how Reason would fare long term in that part of the market. I think it would hold its own as long as RS keep expanding the capabilities of the RRP and don’t get silly with the economics (eg upgrade prices move up into multi-hundred £/$/€ and R+ sub ratchets up each year far beyond inflation). I hope I’m right!
for sure—I’m still hopeful I’ll be wrong and they’ll give us some really nice quality of life stuff for the DAW in v12. funny you mention NI—I was thinking the exact same thing right after I posted that. I’m not too familiar with the NI stuff other than a few effects plugins, but it would be a real shame if Reason ended up moving in that direction, IMO—just another instrument platform (albeit a very powerful one).

slic

07 Jun 2021

If Reason is concentrating so much on the Rack, why don't they introduce a module for changing/sequencing patterns in the players, its a pain in other DAWS....

MuttReason

07 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
07 Jun 2021
MuttReason wrote:
07 Jun 2021

for sure—I’m still hopeful I’ll be wrong and they’ll give us some really nice quality of life stuff for the DAW in v12. funny you mention NI—I was thinking the exact same thing right after I posted that. I’m not too familiar with the NI stuff other than a few effects plugins, but it would be a real shame if Reason ended up moving in that direction, IMO—just another instrument platform (albeit a very powerful one).
BTW…. NI products are great and integration with Maschine is amazing. But if we think RS are sometimes too aloof and secretive for their own good then NI are a whole other level… much less engagement with their users than RS (from what I have seen at least) and no shortage of users complaining about stuff…. more than I see in some other parts of the MI industry, anyway (UAD and Line6 are examples of the good end of the spectrum… great products and lots of direct engagement and dialogue).

Carpainter

07 Jun 2021

MuttReason wrote:
07 Jun 2021
BTW…. NI products are great and integration with Maschine is amazing. But if we think RS are sometimes too aloof and secretive for their own good then NI are a whole other level… much less engagement with their users than RS (from what I have seen at least) and no shortage of users complaining about stuff…. more than I see in some other parts of the MI industry, anyway (UAD and Line6 are examples of the good end of the spectrum… great products and lots of direct engagement and dialogue).
At least NI maintains a forum for their customers. Props has so little respect for their customers that they not only shut down their forum, but nuked 15 years worth of user-generated content. That was easily the most monumentally shitty thing I've seen any music software company do.

EnochLight

07 Jun 2021

adfielding wrote:
07 Jun 2021
I was going to post something long and rambly about how I feel about Reason 12 at the present time (and from what we know about it), but then I realised nobody likes a rambling downer of a post - so I'll sum it up by saying that I no longer really feel like the target audience for Reason
Same. Though I'm not fine with it. I am sad. But it is what it is, I suppose - like you said - time moves on and things change. Reason is practically unrecognizable from when it launched 2 decades ago (!! :o :shock: !!!) so we shouldn't be surprised. :thumbs_up:

I'll still stick around, for the same reason I watched the entire series of LOST and Star Trek: Enterprise even though by the end of the series it was painful (they weren't even close to what they started out to be, nor did they go in the direction I wanted). :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

07 Jun 2021

MuttReason wrote:
07 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
07 Jun 2021

personally, I don’t have a problem with RS being secretive, per se—the frustration only sets in when they seem to be ignoring lots of common gripes in favor of adding more shiny objects. the communication is only part of the problem (and not the most important part)—they could tell us what they’re up to, or stay quiet, but deliver quality of life improvements that people have been asking for for years, or better still, do both.

adfielding

07 Jun 2021

Zac wrote:
07 Jun 2021
I can really relate to your post.
Making the leap from R10 to 12 with the latest deal made sense for me especially with a 3rd party offer. But I no longer see Reason as the all in one solution as I used to. So I've moved on.
guitfnky wrote:
07 Jun 2021
I agree with both sentiments. I'd love to see more core improvements - and in all fairness it doesn't really get more "core" than overhauling the way Reason handles graphics! - but it's just unfortunate that that's one particular core improvement that'll make very little difference to me, personally. Everything comes with a cost of resources, and I understand the decision to focus more resources on being able to say "it looks great and we've added these new features" rather than "VST support is now in-line with everything else". It's the great problem of marketability - how do you sell people on the idea of basic functionality over new features, especially when those new features are visual in nature? Alas, I've had enough of finding workarounds for problems that I don't have elsewhere, even if that comes at the cost of being in a less comfortable creative environment.
EnochLight wrote:
07 Jun 2021
Same. Though I'm not fine with it. I am sad.
I guess what I mean when I say "it's totally fine" is that I understand the thought process behind these decisions. I really don't want to come across like I'm ragging on Reason for the sake of it, because I do still love using it (and I feel like that's probably obvious to anyone who's ever seen me use it or heard me talk about it!), and my gripes come from a place of love. But yes, like you I'm also sad to be in this boat - but, as you rightly pointed out, it is what it is. Better to expend my energy looking for satisfying solutions rather than bash my head against the same wall.

epoch

07 Jun 2021

This is something I've noticed since around Reason 7, and it's always the same complaints about Reason that it doesn't have this or that. I thought with the RRP they would simmer down but no, still everytime a new release is on the way it's complaining as if Reason doesn't even have a sequencer or that it's so basic you can't even write music with it at all. I do wonder if it's just a displacement mechanism by frustrated musicians who really should be frustrated with their own output.

In fact I actually think in a lot of cases this is simply bad workmen blaming their tools. Whilst I admit there are a number of little nice-to-haves that would make a difference to me personally, which I've now given up all hope of RS ever addressing, I do not understand what is holding people back from making their best music with Reason as it already is...

It isn't Pro Tools. It isn't Logic. It isn't Cubase. It Isn't Live. It's Reason and the things that those other DAWs can do that Reason can't are far outweighed by the things those DAWs cannot do that only Reason can.

guitfnky

07 Jun 2021

epoch wrote:
07 Jun 2021
This is something I've noticed since around Reason 7, and it's always the same complaints about Reason that it doesn't have this or that. I thought with the RRP they would simmer down but no, still everytime a new release is on the way it's complaining as if Reason doesn't even have a sequencer or that it's so basic you can't even write music with it at all. I do wonder if it's just a displacement mechanism by frustrated musicians who really should be frustrated with their own output.

In fact I actually think in a lot of cases this is simply bad workmen blaming their tools. Whilst I admit there are a number of little nice-to-haves that would make a difference to me personally, which I've now given up all hope of RS ever addressing, I do not understand what is holding people back from making their best music with Reason as it already is...

It isn't Pro Tools. It isn't Logic. It isn't Cubase. It Isn't Live. It's Reason and the things that those other DAWs can do that Reason can't are far outweighed by the things those DAWs cannot do that only Reason can.
lol, no.

chaosroyale

07 Jun 2021

That's not true for some of us. I don't know how large this minority is, but in my case, I like to use the Reason rack *in Reason* with VSTs in the rack.The integration of the Rack and the DAW (especially things like bussing, patching even across different tracks and combinators, and the ease of combining multiple different midi and audio tracks into super-instruments) is what makes it nice. I don't see the rack as "a plugin".

When I work with another DAW, I load VSTs into whatever the native version of a "rack" is in that DAW, the RRP doesn't even load VSTs!!

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
07 Jun 2021
Take a step back and think of it this way: Reason Studios doesn't give a shit if you move to another DAW, cause you're still going to use Reason as a plugin, wouldn't you?

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2021

Well I've already got Studio One Artist to access VST3s without relying on a vst3->vst2 adapter. The adapter is pretty cool, but the extra steps just feel awkward.

It would have been nice to have had a more upfront response about vst3 support so that I could make a more informed decision. So I'm just going to have to switch to using Studio One as my main and maybe upgrade to v12 to get RRP.

If it gets VST3 support I'd probably switch back to Reason standalone as this 20-year habit is quite hard to shake and there's no Reason Anonymous where I live.

guitfnky

07 Jun 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
07 Jun 2021
That's not true for some of us. I don't know how large this minority is, but in my case, I like to use the Reason rack *in Reason* with VSTs in the rack.The integration of the Rack and the DAW (especially things like bussing, patching even across different tracks and combinators, and the ease of combining multiple different midi and audio tracks into super-instruments) is what makes it nice. I don't see the rack as "a plugin".

When I work with another DAW, I load VSTs into whatever the native version of a "rack" is in that DAW, the RRP doesn't even load VSTs!!

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
07 Jun 2021
Take a step back and think of it this way: Reason Studios doesn't give a shit if you move to another DAW, cause you're still going to use Reason as a plugin, wouldn't you?
100%. I use RRP, but only if I need something the stock plugins or my VSTs don’t offer. that’s already kinda rare, and becoming more so.

adfielding

07 Jun 2021

epoch wrote:
07 Jun 2021
Since Reason 7? People have been saying that since v1 :lol:
epoch wrote:
07 Jun 2021
I agree with that sentiment to a point, in the sense that if you can't write something at least vaguely decent with Reason then the problem is very likely not with Reason alone. That said, if that were truly an accurate statement and Reason as-it-is was all you really needed to make great music... why bother upgrading at all? Why are we even talking about Reason 12? I have vivid memories of people talking about how Thor was the only synth you ever needed, yet here we are years later and Reason's synth arsenal still continues to expand. Different instruments produce different sounds, and different workflows encourage different results. By not including certain basic features, the software itself is totally preventing the user from exploring those creative avenues, at least not without irritating and potentially horribly inefficient workarounds.

Was I able to include vocals in my music in Reason 4 by importing vocal recordings made elsewhere into Recycle, slicing them up, and triggering them with a Dr REX? Sure. Was that an efficient way to record and experiment with vocals? Hell no! Was I glad when audio tracks were added via Record? Absolutely! The question is - would I be willing to compromise my workflow to accomodate that sort of workaround nowadays? That answer may differ from person to person, but I'm at a point where I'd say no, no I'm not.

jam-s

07 Jun 2021

Reason is lacking a lot of customisability. Have a look at some of the options you get in Mixcraft 9 (which could be bought from humble bundle for just a few bucks recently) for example:
NewProjSettings.png
NewProjSettings.png (94.1 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
(notice the video track?)
MouseWheelSettings.png
MouseWheelSettings.png (30.03 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
(make it zoom like you want)
RecordingSettings.png
RecordingSettings.png (48.99 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
... and a lot of other often requested features for Reason.

MuttReason

07 Jun 2021

epoch wrote:
07 Jun 2021

I think there is more of an emotional investment in Reason than in many other music creative tools, certainly for those of us who were there at the beginning. There’s always been something different about the technology and the company behind it. That’s not to say you won’t see similar debates/complaints on other MI company forums… RS are far from alone in that respect. But Reason always stood out as quirky, innovative and fun as well as a serious tool for musicians. A lot of the stuff people gripe about is (I think) borne out of an unusual degree of affection for what, at the end of the day, is just software created and marketed by people we don’t know.

There’s an old saying that the opposite of love isn’t hate - it is indifference. People who don’t complain may be contented but they may also be indifferent. Either way, they’re less likely to appear on this board (or any other like it) than the people who care.

But…. yeah, it’s just a tool. We all have other tools. And right now we all have more time to hang around on internet forums instead of getting out there and gigging and creating new material with other musicians because, well, lockdown. So there’s that, too.

craste

07 Jun 2021

adfielding wrote:
07 Jun 2021
We all know Reason is the most fun to use DAW. If Reason implemented some of the stuff people have been asking for (a quick search on these forums will show what people really want in terms of sequencer improvements etc) they would have an absolutely knock-out bomb of a product!

People will vote with their wallets come release time, and hopefully that should send a signal to Reason Studios about what they should prioritise next.

Billy+

07 Jun 2021

adfielding wrote:
07 Jun 2021
craste wrote:
07 Jun 2021
We all know Reason is the most fun to use DAW. If Reason implemented some of the stuff people have been asking for (a quick search on these forums will show what people really want in terms of sequencer improvements etc) they would have an absolutely knock-out bomb of a product!

People will vote with their wallets come release time, and hopefully that should send a signal to Reason Studios about what they should prioritise next.
For me Reason has always been head and shoulders above the competition even with missing features and when RRP came out I totally understood why RS took the direction they did but I just don't understand why they won't just spend the time on the features that the DAW is missing unless they really want to drop the DAW in favour of the rack which totally doesn't make sense.

I always end up getting the upgrade but for the last couple it's definitely been in the hope of getting features but this time I definitely going to wait until I see the features and that saddens me personally especially as what's being announced is quite a lot of work for the developers but it's just not what I wanted to see.

craste

07 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
07 Jun 2021
adfielding wrote:
07 Jun 2021
craste wrote:
07 Jun 2021

For me Reason has always been head and shoulders above the competition even with missing features and when RRP came out I totally understood why RS took the direction they did but I just don't understand why they won't just spend the time on the features that the DAW is missing unless they really want to drop the DAW in favour of the rack which totally doesn't make sense.

I always end up getting the upgrade but for the last couple it's definitely been in the hope of getting features but this time I definitely going to wait until I see the features and that saddens me personally especially as what's being announced is quite a lot of work for the developers but it's just not what I wanted to see.
Look at the latest Reason Studios video on YouTube - Most of the comments are from people screaming out for sequencer improvements.

Its a shame to see those comments, makes you fear for the future of the company. If I worked there I would stand up in the office and shout "guys and girls - like WTF are we doing here? We are not giving them what they want. Lets sort that out first and then give them more toys to play with!"

We'll enjoy playing with the 'toys' more then.

Billy+

07 Jun 2021

craste wrote:
07 Jun 2021

Look at the latest Reason Studios video on YouTube - Most of the comments are from people screaming out for sequencer improvements.

Its a shame to see those comments, makes you fear for the future of the company. If I worked there I would stand up in the office and shout "guys and girls - like WTF are we doing here? We are not giving them what they want. Lets sort that out first and then give them more toys to play with!"

We'll enjoy playing with the 'toys' more then.
I'm still holding out hope that they surprise us all in September and we all feel silly about our comments and disappointment, but I am a little concerned that the GPU hi res could end up craving resources that would otherwise be DSP on system that don't have dedicated GPU's.

Micha1973

07 Jun 2021

Reason is my daw. Reason is great - can you see abletons synths or fx to use it in a other daw? Reason is great. They are the first to make music with her synths and fx in another daw. So when someone have a troub le - go to the other daw, and you will come back.
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

• Information