Drum and Bass / My Style Skimrok

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Skimrok

07 Jun 2021

New tune from me hopefully some will like :puf_smile:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

danc

07 Jun 2021

Ok - hot off the press response...

Love the deep pad beginning. The vox sample at :10 hit you a little too abrubtly. Either reduce volume or... do a trick of reversing it and run that at really low vol just before forward running vox - so that you give the listener a pre-empt that something is coming.

Like the way you intro the drums. Then you introduce the cut up melody. And at last you to take it on a journey - seriously... at last I feel like you've got it nailed.

PLUS what I really like is that you have a "sound" - I know it's you.

Mix wise... I feel that you are missing some LO-MID girth. There seems to be a lack of weight in the lower end. BUT don't take this as a negative...as I really like your productions now. The mix just need a little more polish.

THUMBS UP.
Check my Soundcloud:

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2021

Really cool track skimrok. May i ask how you made the sound around 3minutes 10 (hard to describe it but reminded me a lot of the andy c?shimon sounds around the time of turbulance on ram records. There is definately a flow to your tracks now.

I agree with Dan C about the vocal and one trick a producer taught me was to take the first syllable of the vocal and put it on a seperate track and then add a reverb 100% wet with about 5 seconds of verb time. You can then bounce this to a new channel and reverse it so that the reverb ends just when the actual vocal hits (like a riser going into the vocal if that makes sense). This also works for synth sounds etc and might be what Dan C refers to above or similar.

Skimrok

07 Jun 2021

@ Dan thanks for the feedback I'm going to try that with the Vox good idea i try my best with the mid low beef i may get something like tonal balance or span and try and look at this so its in my sights moving forward, do a little check list before moving on to another tune , the mix is it best i do another mix down because of above or would it come apparent when doing it? just feeling for your thoughts how you would tackle this really :geek: :puf_bigsmile:

i take a week off doing nothing and then i do it with fresh ears once i got a battle plan together he!he! :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Skimrok on 07 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Skimrok

07 Jun 2021

Popey wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2021
Really cool track skimrok. May i ask how you made the sound around 3minutes 10 (hard to describe it but reminded me a lot of the andy c?shimon sounds around the time of turbulance on ram records. There is definately a flow to your tracks now.

I agree with Dan C about the vocal and one trick a producer taught me was to take the first syllable of the vocal and put it on a seperate track and then add a reverb 100% wet with about 5 seconds of verb time. You can then bounce this to a new channel and reverse it so that the reverb ends just when the actual vocal hits (like a riser going into the vocal if that makes sense). This also works for synth sounds etc and might be what Dan C refers to above or similar.
Popey that sound is actually a sample i just relooked so no credit on my behalf on that one, i started to get my teeth into Serum and been playing with some online tutorials regarding making patches for DnB then you take it to your own direction, there is a guy called Stranjah which has been a producer since the 90s he is actually really good to look at on youtube because he really talks what he does to achieve XY Z ive been picking up little ideas as i go along

yeah between you and Dan I'm sure i crack that with the vocal which without you and him i wouldn't even thought of that idea so yeah I'm really looking forward to playing in due course :thumbs_up:

I take a week off to gather my thoughts and i get back on it

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2021

Hi Skimrok no worries it is just a sound I want to be able to create so perhaps I will put turbelance in a session and work about making the same sound in serum.

I watch stranjah videos too and have learnt a fair bit from him and it is also worth looking at fox sound design tutorials (sdt) and artfx if you have not done so already. I am ok at creating sounds it is just mixing and mastering I suck at πŸ˜‚

danc

07 Jun 2021

Skimrok wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2021
@ Dan thanks for the feedback I'm going to try that with the Vox good idea i try my best with the mid low beef i may get something like tonal balance or span and try and look at this so its in my sights moving forward, do a little check list before moving on to another tune , the mix is it best i do another mix down because of above or would it come apparent when doing it? just feeling for your thoughts how you would tackle this really :geek: :puf_bigsmile:

i take a week off doing nothing and then i do it with fresh ears once i got a battle plan together he!he! :thumbs_up:
Regarding mix balance... I personally do it as I go... however, I've learnt to create a track using monitor speakers and then at a good point put on a pair of good headphones and start getting really surgical with mix balance (e.g. tonal balance). I often do this before I get too far down the road in arrangement building. So - to clarify... monitors to get a good loop vibe going. Then headphones on for surgical levels. Then back to monitors for arranging. Come back to headphone here and there after to ensure it sounds cool.

And... the point of me telling you this... I do mix balance later in my production work. So - it's fine to go into your mix now and fix all these little things.

As for battle plan. I often listen to my track many many times over a space of many days... and literally make an edit list (line item.... time occurred - edit required). Plus I add some overarching comments in the list if it happens all over the place (e.g. snare drum too loud throughout).
Check my Soundcloud:

PhillipOrdonez

17 Jun 2021

Tight drums, Skimrok. 🀘

TheGodOfRainbows

18 Jun 2021

Sounds bad ass to me! Let me ask, how do you get your mix so incredibly loud! I can't get close to that kind of loudness while at the same time sounding really good!

Skimrok

20 Jun 2021

Thank you everybody i running behind on this i think i give it a crack next week

@ TheGodOfRainbows loudness has been something has evolved after time with my tunes i.e. with the limiter is not working hard on the whole tune , I don't know the science really about it all I'm just using my ears before it breaks apart , I do have a couple of tunes as reference points by other Artists and I try to find a happy medium I'm not near there standards but it does help me

Skimrok

25 Jun 2021

now uploaded with the edits on the links above :cool: :thumbs_up: its subtle but I think I got the gest of it hopefully :lol:

Auryn

25 Jun 2021

Drums are the standout here, great work programming and producing. The ambient parts at the beginning and in the middle could do with a bit more "space" IMHO, and the transitions between the parts are a bit abrupt.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Skimrok

26 Jun 2021

Auryn wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2021
Drums are the standout here, great work programming and producing. The ambient parts at the beginning and in the middle could do with a bit more "space" IMHO, and the transitions between the parts are a bit abrupt.
Thanks for the feedback :thumbs_up:

danc

27 Jun 2021

25 Jun 2021
now uploaded with the edits on the links above :cool: :thumbs_up: its subtle but I think I got the gest of it hopefully :lol:
LOVING new version. Totally feel like this progresses in a really interesting way.

I've got competition!
Check my Soundcloud:

visheshl

27 Jun 2021

You should take inspiration from indian rhythms and time signatures. Listen to ustad Zakir Hussain on tabla or toufiq qureshi on percussion.
Years ago I did a project called ksha. Still there on my reverbnation profile. Where I merged drum n bass with indian tabla rhythms . Try doing something like that. I'll give you new spaces to explore.
Edit : it'll not I'll
Last edited by visheshl on 29 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Skimrok

29 Jun 2021

danc wrote: ↑
27 Jun 2021
25 Jun 2021
LOVING new version. Totally feel like this progresses in a really interesting way.

I've got competition!
Thank You Dan :thumbup:

Skimrok

29 Jun 2021

visheshl wrote: ↑
27 Jun 2021
You should take inspiration from indian rhythms and time signatures. Listen to ustad Zakir Hussain on tabla or toufiq qureshi on percussion.
Years ago I did a project called ksha. Still there on my reverbnation profile. Where I merged drum n bass with indian tabla rhythms . Try doing something like that. I'll give you new spaces to explore.
cool I check that out when i have 5 :puf_smile: thanks for the heads up ;)

• Information