New RE Grid64p2 Generative Player by ReTouch Control

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Bes
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2021

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ve-player/

The Grid64 model P2 player offers three generative engines which take inspiration from physical systems to create notes. The user can interact with the these systems to control various aspects of the generative process. A great tool to spark new musical ideas, especially fun to use when paired with a compatible MIDI grid controller!

Engine 1 mimics the motion of particles moving in a maze of blocks. As the particles randomly make their way thru the maze, notes are being generated based on the grid cells that they have visited.
Engine 2 mimics the motion of particles bouncing off the walls of a closed container. Notes are generated when a particles visits a cell where a block exists.
Engine 3 mimics the evolution of a 1 dimensional cellular automata system. For each generation, some cells live on while other dies. Cells which are alive trigger notes if they happen to have a block at their location.
The grid itself is fully programmable. Notes can be assigned freely to each cell and saved into one of two map locations. Several edit functions make it easy to fully customize the maps.

The device can be used with an 8x8 grid MIDI controller. The models supported are the Novation Launchpads, NI Maschine Jam, Ableton Push and the Akai APC Mini. You can download custom Remote files which enable two-way communication with Reason HERE (standalone mode only, not supported in the Reason Rack plugin)
- Certified Reason expert

Bes
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2021

hm maybe one of the mods can correct the thread title ?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2021

Bes wrote:
05 Jun 2021
hm maybe one of the mods can correct the thread title ?
Can’t you just edit it?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

05 Jun 2021

Changed 54 to 64... does anything else need changed?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Bes
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2021

:thumbs_up: thanks i didn't work out how

mjxl

06 Jun 2021

Bought this straight away. Very cool stuff.

Yonatan

06 Jun 2021

These things are cool. Combining different players until one has no clue what the h’ck is going on...

mjxl

06 Jun 2021

Yonatan wrote:
06 Jun 2021
These things are cool. Combining different players until one has no clue what the h’ck is going on...
Indeed, but still it can sound good because there's a Scales&Chords at the end of the chain :P

Yonatan

06 Jun 2021

mjxl wrote:
06 Jun 2021
Yonatan wrote:
06 Jun 2021
Indeed, but still it can sound good because there's a Scales&Chords at the end of the chain :P
Exactly! One can bring some little harmonic order to the chaos. 🥳

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2021

mjxl wrote:
06 Jun 2021
Yonatan wrote:
06 Jun 2021
Always.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bharris22

07 Jun 2021

I love the idea of this, and will purchase today. One question - is it possible to have each of the three particles within each engine travel at different speeds? If not currently possible, could this be added in an update?

mjxl

07 Jun 2021

Funny how the manual says this:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (65.29 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
I thought it was a bug, then I saw it's correct behaviour, but I LIKE that behaviour :P hehe
You can route some notes back into itself by putting CVPT above and below, then for a forever changing grid i added RND (or Note Alter)!

Gardinski

08 Jun 2021

I'm not sure if it's just my machine being weird, but every time I've tried this, the generated patterns seem to be offset by a 16th. The same happens if I 'send to track' or 'direct record'. Every pattern starts 1/16th after the metronome.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

(Obviously it's easy enough to manually reposition the notes, but for a generative player you'd ideally want it to work in real time.)

----------
Correction to the above: I was mistaken: the problem isn't happening on 'direct record'. Just on 'Send to Track'. Even if you turn the probability right up to 100, any patterns 'sent to track' begin with 1/16th of silence, which seems a bit odd.

I appreciate that this is a really minor issue, given the random/scattered nature of most of the stuff we're seeking to generate with this plugin, but it would be nice to figure out why it's happening.

Mataya

08 Jun 2021

I think I found a bug and I really want to use it like this, but it breaks every time.
I place Grid 64 P2 player and their Phrase sequencer underneath it and they both sit above Europa synth. Then I make some movement in Grid64 P2 and it starts affecting Phrase underneath it, where I randomized some notes and then when I set it to HOLD in Phrase it stops playing and I get a message Phrase stopped ...something something...you can still save your project. Both set to Major scale. It's seems like a Phrase bug, but I couldn't get it to stop like that with other players, so maybe they'r both unable to talk like that...or something something?

Maybe a developer could look into this.
Great stuff you guys are making. Very thankful.

Mataya

Bes
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2021

Mataya i'm not able to replicate your error, does it happen for you everytime or just once? you can contact the devs via their website and maybe save your file when it happens so they can work it out

https://retouchcontrol.com/support/

bharris22

16 Jun 2021

bharris22 wrote:
07 Jun 2021
I love the idea of this, and will purchase today. One question - is it possible to have each of the three particles within each engine travel at different speeds? If not currently possible, could this be added in an update?
Just reposting in case the developer ever hangs out here and could respond . . . .

• Information