Ekssperimental Sounds: TAPEFUNK M10 RE released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

03 Jun 2021

Just saw this being released via Facebook:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -recorder/

From the shop page:

The Magic of Old School German Tape Technology in Your Rack!

TAPEFUNK M10 captures the spirit of real analog tape by Impulse Response technology provided by Past To Future Reverbs.

Simple and great sounding tape warmth to any or all of your tracks. Super easy to use: just select tape model, hiss amount and balance the input and output to taste!

Panel_Front_3U_1650_YmFsusN.jpg.10000x10000_q85.jpg
Panel_Front_3U_1650_YmFsusN.jpg.10000x10000_q85.jpg (125.13 KiB) Viewed 6613 times

D.

challism

03 Jun 2021

Confirmed: Erik/Ekssman doesn't sleep.

"Hiss will always produce sound unless set to OFF."
Reminds me of my beloved cat. RIP, Boo boo :(
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Faastwalker

04 Jun 2021

GUI is a little .......... erm ............ 'minimal'! :-/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
04 Jun 2021
That’s what they look like :)
Attachments
CD3C6D78-E387-4B24-94E4-B40AB2D9C47C.jpeg
CD3C6D78-E387-4B24-94E4-B40AB2D9C47C.jpeg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 6460 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Faastwalker

04 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
04 Jun 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
04 Jun 2021
The top looks a bit more interesting than the front! :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
04 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
04 Jun 2021

Yes. It does. The controls are all there on the GUI though ( I think :) ).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Steedus
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2021

Ekss has said he likes trying to keep things streamlined on the front panels, but I feel like in this case the 2 knobs could've been slightly bigger ;)

Maybe the zoom update in R12 will help haha. (j/k)

madwurmz

04 Jun 2021

I can't hear the hizz from the demos it's a bit depressing this is probably my hearing loss? i will try the trial to listen to this further
madwurmz from planet verbs

Mint

04 Jun 2021

mad@madwurmz.com wrote:
04 Jun 2021
I can't hear the hizz from the demos it's a bit depressing this is probably my hearing loss? i will try the trial to listen to this further
Can't hear the hiss here either...Tinnitus does'nt help : /

challism

04 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
04 Jun 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
04 Jun 2021

Yes. It does. The controls are all there on the GUI though ( I think :) ).
The minimal GUI of this device made me think of Saturation knob.

motuscott

04 Jun 2021

Mint wrote:
04 Jun 2021
mad@madwurmz.com wrote:
04 Jun 2021
I'm getting hiss whether I use this RE or not, if I use Reason or not, whether my computer's on or off...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2021

Hiss and Hertz
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

04 Jun 2021

motuscott wrote:
04 Jun 2021
Mint wrote:
04 Jun 2021

I'm getting hiss whether I use this RE or not, if I use Reason or not, whether my computer's on or off...
Might want to check your cat.
MrFigg wrote:
04 Jun 2021
Hiss and Hertz
Ohm my... so punny

Yonatan

04 Jun 2021

Cool concept. Demo sounds interesting.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2021

Sounds pretty cool judging by the demos/video.
I typically like Ekss GUIs, but this one didn't do it for me unfortunately. I can see the reasoning behind the GUI, but in this case I'm thinking it might be better to not cling to the original look too much.
Personally I'd much rather have the few things that are there not hidden in the corner. Put them where we can see them. And make them BIGGER. With all that space available, it looks strange having the tape and hiss settings so small.
The colors and the look itself are fine though. And I like the simplicity of the device.

SebAudio

04 Jun 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Jun 2021
Sounds pretty cool judging by the demos/video.
I typically like Ekss GUIs, but this one didn't do it for me unfortunately. I can see the reasoning behind the GUI, but in this case I'm thinking it might be better to not cling to the original look too much.
Personally I'd much rather have the few things that are there not hidden in the corner. Put them where we can see them. And make them BIGGER. With all that space available, it looks strange having the tape and hiss settings so small.
The colors and the look itself are fine though. And I like the simplicity of the device.
Same here. Making it smaller would be better

dvdrtldg

04 Jun 2021

Surely there has to be a point at which creating tape emulation FX is just reinventing the wheel

"Impulse response technology" this, "old school German" that, I'm sure it sounds great but does it sound $69 worth of great? especially when you can get Waves J37 for less than half the price, or even Chow Tape Model for free (and yes I know this one's at intro price at the moment)

Guess I'll just have to trial it and maybe come back & delete this post if it blows my mind

Steedus
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2021

Just judging on the video, I really like the sound of this, on a base level, but I can barely hear the difference in tape models, and I know my ears are shit but I feel like the hiss setting is just a troll. Literally can’t hear anything it does in the YouTube demo lol. (Could be down to YouTube compression too though - well one can hope). I think this ones a bit too rich for me personally.

jam-s

05 Jun 2021

Professional tape was not as crappy as people think they were with respect to audio quality and hiss. Thus the effect might be more subtle than expected. (Cheap consumer tape on the other hand was pretty bad and that's most likely what people remember from the 80s.)

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2021

Steedus wrote:
05 Jun 2021
Just judging on the video, I really like the sound of this, on a base level, but I can barely hear the difference in tape models, and I know my ears are shit but I feel like the hiss setting is just a troll. Literally can’t hear anything it does in the YouTube demo lol. (Could be down to YouTube compression too though - well one can hope). I think this ones a bit too rich for me personally.
If you turn down the input and increase output, you'll hear it :thumbs_up:

kbard

05 Jun 2021

I am just discovering his RE's and I am blown away by TapeFunk.

Simple but sound is out of this world. This is one of the bast plugins for "that" specific sound hands down. I hope they will never change sound in further releases or updates. I like 4 colors simplicity. They may sound similar but if you hear closely they are so much different with different Freq bumps.

When it comes to GUI I like it a lot. In fact their interfaces (for me) are among the best in the shop.

RoryM0

06 Jun 2021

First I'd like to say I like this dev's work in general and have several of their creations.... But am I alone in thinking that this RE might be a little overpriced? Sorry to be critical and given, I've not actually trialled it yet but as far as I can see it is four IR samples with hiss options and a gain control, and the non-sale price is £58?! Perhaps this RE will see some future development appear as free updates?

Stygian Abyss

06 Jun 2021

It would be nice to have an automatic volume compensation option added to this RE. It could be especially useful when the input gain is controlled by CV.

Yonatan

06 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
06 Jun 2021
First I'd like to say I like this dev's work in general and have several of their creations.... But am I alone in thinking that this RE might be a little overpriced? Sorry to be critical and given, I've not actually trialled it yet but as far as I can see it is four IR samples with hiss options and a gain control, and the non-sale price is £58?! Perhaps this RE will see some future development appear as free updates?
I personally agree as my budget dont allow this luxury, wish it was lower in price as it mostly is coloring product, and I would buy several of the REs if more at a level I would agree on, but either I will wait on a proper sale, bundle or that I get a proper wage. Dont know what is most reasonable to wait on, but might just subscribe to RE now and then.

epoch

06 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
06 Jun 2021
It's OK, you can call me cynical too but I personally don't think the Ekss REs are all that. They seem to look a lot, lot better than they actually sound. Often it's the completely other way round with REs - see Revival as a good example of an amazing sounding RE organ sim but which has really poor, amateurish graphics. The Ekss stuff is the other way round in some respects - absolutely world class graphics and visual design but the sounds just don't do it for me in any of the REs I've tried - this tape RE is the worst one yet in that regard. All one needs to do is get some decent tape machine IRs and load them into Reason via the RV7000 mkII convolution and it will easily beat the sound of this. Looping tape hiss is also very easy to come by; Goldbaby has some superb samples.

Just my two cents.

• Information