Bypass key switches when using player devices

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
LightningMusic

02 Jun 2021

Hi All,

I have a question about using VST instruments that have key switches in combination with players.

Is there a way to bypass certain key ranges from going through a player device? For example, C0-C1 should not be affected by the player, whereas rest of the keys should. I tried using a combinator, but that doesn't permit me to set a key range for player devices.

Has anyone found a solution for this?

Thanks!
Kal

madmacman

02 Jun 2021

You could do the filtering with another player, e.g.:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -modifier/

where you can set a filter range for notes.

There are other players out there which do similar tasks, but UTL Modifier is free. :-)

challism

02 Jun 2021

Lectric Panda UTL will filter notes. As will Andrew Russell Denote, Enlightentspeed Melodramatik, Enlightenspeed Note Filter, Static Cling Delta, TonicMint Inrange and TonicMint Note Limiter.

If you want to filter and modify (force filtered notes to fit into the filtered zone) then you need to use Delta, Inrange or Melodramatik.

And, yes, UTL is the only free option.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Stygian Abyss

03 Jun 2021

Hi Kal, what you want can be done following two different ways. The easiest one is to use the If node in Delta to let the key switches pass through unaffected and process the remaining notes with other nodes, but this only applies if Delta is the only Player in the stack. If you want to use any other Player(s) is becomes far more complex: you have to create two Player stacks in one, using MIDI-CV Converter to duplicate and merge MIDI data, Note Receive to interrupt the MIDI data flow at the end of the first part and any of the already mentioned note filter Players. Your stack will look like this:

MIDI-CV Converter 1 (Use Poly CV and connect one output pair to the inputs of MIDI-CV Converter 3 to duplicate MIDI data)
Note Filter 1 (Of your choice, set to filter out actual notes and let only key switches pass through)
MIDI-CV Converter 2 (Use Poly CV and connect one output pair to the inputs of MIDI-CV Converter 4 to transmit the unprocessed key switches)
Note Receive (Set it to off to interrupt the MIDI data flow between the two parts of the stack)
MIDI-CV Converter 3 (This is the beginning of the second part, it receives a copy of the MIDI data from MIDI-CV Converter 1)
Note Filter 2 (Of your choice, set to filter out key switches and let only actual notes pass through)
Insert the Players you want to process your actual notes with here
Note Filter 3 (Same setting as 2, used to filter out unwanted key switches that may have been produced from your actual notes by your Players just above)
MIDI-CV Converter 4 (Merges MIDI data from the two parts of the stack)
Your instrument

I hope I haven't made any mistake and that it is understandable. I'd advise to save this as a Combi patch once you've built it to use it as a template. Feel free to ask questions if anything is not as clear as I'd like it to be. :)

challism

03 Jun 2021

Stygian Abyss wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Hi Kal, what you want can be done following two different ways. The easiest one is to use the If node in Delta to let the key switches pass through unaffected and process the remaining notes with other nodes, but this only applies if Delta is the only Player in the stack. If you want to use any other Player(s) is becomes far more complex: you have to create two Player stacks in one, using MIDI-CV Converter to duplicate and merge MIDI data, Note Receive to interrupt the MIDI data flow at the end of the first part and any of the already mentioned note filter Players. Your stack will look like this:

MIDI-CV Converter 1 (Use Poly CV and connect one output pair to the inputs of MIDI-CV Converter 3 to duplicate MIDI data)
Note Filter 1 (Of your choice, set to filter out actual notes and let only key switches pass through)
MIDI-CV Converter 2 (Use Poly CV and connect one output pair to the inputs of MIDI-CV Converter 4 to transmit the unprocessed key switches)
Note Receive (Set it to off to interrupt the MIDI data flow between the two parts of the stack)
MIDI-CV Converter 3 (This is the beginning of the second part, it receives a copy of the MIDI data from MIDI-CV Converter 1)
Note Filter 2 (Of your choice, set to filter out key switches and let only actual notes pass through)
Insert the Players you want to process your actual notes with here
Note Filter 3 (Same setting as 2, used to filter out unwanted key switches that may have been produced from your actual notes by your Players just above)
MIDI-CV Converter 4 (Merges MIDI data from the two parts of the stack)
Your instrument

I hope I haven't made any mistake and that it is understandable. I'd advise to save this as a Combi patch once you've built it to use it as a template. Feel free to ask questions if anything is not as clear as I'd like it to be. :)
Please, if you have the time, can you build, save and upload a Combi showing what you have explained? I'm curious how this works, but dont' understand. A Combi patch would be very helpful. Thanks, in advance.

Stygian Abyss

03 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Please, if you have the time, can you build, save and upload a Combi showing what you have explained? I'm curious how this works, but dont' understand. A Combi patch would be very helpful. Thanks, in advance.
Are my explanations so bad that you don't recognize the bypass Player trick you wrote about in this message ? I probably learned it reading your posts ! :lol:

Anyway, I'm sorry but I can't build that currently due to a computer failure, I wrote that from memory using my tablet, that's why I can only hope there's no mistake and it actually works as I described it.

challism

03 Jun 2021

Stygian Abyss wrote:
03 Jun 2021
challism wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Are my explanations so bad that you don't recognize the bypass Player trick you wrote about in this message ? I probably learned it reading your posts ! :lol:

Anyway, I'm sorry but I can't build that currently due to a computer failure, I wrote that from memory using my tablet, that's why I can only hope there's no mistake and it actually works as I described it.
In both of our defense, it's 4AM where I am. I'll read it again... or maybe I should just get some sleep and try it in the morning. ha ha

Stygian Abyss

26 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Please, if you have the time, can you build, save and upload a Combi showing what you have explained? I'm curious how this works, but don't understand. A Combi patch would be very helpful. Thanks, in advance.
Hi, sorry about this late reply. Here are a few example Combi patches showing how keyswitches filtering can be done. They can be useful with VST instruments like Kontakt, but also some RE instruments like Friktion and Stringwerk.

Keyswitches Filter Denote.cmb is based on what I explained above. It's complex but has no limitations, and works as I expected, except that I had forgotten that MIDI-CV Converter has a handy little MIDI In button to interrupt the data flow coming from Players above it; thus I removed Receive Notes from the original design, as it was redundant. I choose Denote to filter out the notes, it's IMO the easiest Player for this task with its Alt-click function to invert the mutes and nice visual monitoring, and many of you should have it as it was free for some time.
The other patches are simpler but have some limitations or consume sparse Combinator functions.

Keyswitches Filter Split.cmb uses, as the OP wanted to build it, the Combinator to create a keyboard split that feeds two instruments who are just here to allow Players to exist: the free Modrack MIDI from Murf is assigned to this unrewarding task. The unchanged keyswitches MIDI data flow is merged with the actual notes using the MIDI-CV Converter just under the Player that modifies them.

Keyswitches Filter Delta.cmb uses, of course, the wondrous Delta Player to intercept keyswitches and output them using its 8 Note/Gate pairs, which means that you can't have more than 8 keyswitches engaged simultaneously - a number that seems more than sufficient for most applications. The simple Delta patch creates a keyboard split and could be replaced by a cascade of If nodes if one wants to intercept specific notes instead of a range.

To use these patches, simply replace Scales and Chords by the Players you'd like to use for your actual notes, and the lowest Modrack MIDI by the instrument of your choice. Or keep it and use a PolyCV Note/Gate pair from the lowest MIDI-CV Converter to send notes to another MIDI-CV Converter above a Combinator or instrument outside.
Attachments
Keyswitches Filters.zip
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

moneykube

26 Jun 2021

:clap: :thumbup: :thumbs_up: :exclamation: cool
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Stygian Abyss

03 Jul 2021

Thank you. I posted some more advanced patches in a new thread in the Tutorials and Techniques forum.

• Information