Connecting Roland D-05 to reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fmartinez83

28 May 2021

Hi Everyone,

Need some help connecting my D05 to reason. I tried via the usb and no go, also tried via my audio interface and same thing. It should not be this complicated. I have my SE-02 connected no issues, but the D05 isn't working.

Thanks

raymondh

28 May 2021

Congratulations on having a D-05! Great synthesizer!

I use the 5-pin DIN MIDI connections to connect most of my synths to Reason. The Boutiques are well known for the digital noise/ground loop interference when using USB so I avoid it by using traditional MIDI ports and USB is only for the power supply.

If you've been successful with your SE-02 then you obviously know what you're doing so maybe you have a fault with the D-05?

Here's a few checklist things to try to isolate the problem:
- can you get any sound out of the D-05? try playing the sequencer.
- what midi channel is your d-05 receiving? What MIDI channel are you sending from Reason MIDI Out device? What MIDI channel is your SE-02 receiving?
- Try connecting to a different USB port
- Try connecting to the same usb cable you are using for your SE-02
- connecting your d05 to a USB hub or direct to your computer? Try direct connection and see if that works
- check your computer can 'see' the D-05 USB device - maybe the driver hasn't installed properly.
- all else fails, get yourself a MIDI interface and use traditional cables like me.

Let me know what you find!

fmartinez83

30 May 2021

Great, thanks for replying! 2 quick questions:

1. Are you using 2 midi cables? Currently I’m only using 1 going to my midi keyboard

2. Are you using balanced or unbalanced cable to your audio interface? I have both cables just in case.

Thanks

moneykube

30 May 2021

one midi cable should work connected of course to midi out on synth
non balanced more noise... balanced less noise... both should work
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

raymondh

30 May 2021

moneykube wrote:
30 May 2021
Yep.

If you're using DIN MIDI and 'stringing' your synthesizers together ( OUT --> IN --> THRU --> IN ), you'll also want to ensure that MIDI Thru is enabled on your boutique synths. From memory it is OFF by default.

moneykube

02 Jun 2021

raymondh wrote:
30 May 2021
moneykube wrote:
30 May 2021
Yep.

If you're using DIN MIDI and 'stringing' your synthesizers together ( OUT --> IN --> THRU --> IN ), you'll also want to ensure that MIDI Thru is enabled on your boutique synths. From memory it is OFF by default.
also a great point
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

fmartinez83

18 Jun 2021

Hi!!

Yes and thank you! I had the wrong the Midi channel on the D-05 lol. Works great though and thank you so much for your quick replies, I really appreciate it!. I will post the tune I'm working on on the forum.

Re8et
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2021

Hi, can you see the D-05 on Reason as a soundcard device and get the audio out from the D-05 directly through Reason without an external souncard??
I did it in the past but I was just retrying after another fresh install and I can't see it as a souncard... :?:
It receives midi through midi but no soundcard detected on Reason...

• Information