New Sampler Thread

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ab459

30 May 2021

Modulation start\end would be nice indeed. Rather i would say it's minimum for nowaday samplers.

Faastwalker

31 May 2021

I think it will be the Algoritm of samplers.

BRIGGS

31 May 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
31 May 2021
I think it will be the Algoritm of samplers.
^^^highly likely! :puf_smile:
r11s

deeplink
Competition Winner

31 May 2021

I hope it feels like instrument, in terms of mappable controls.

Grain is great this way where you can Remote the loop points, playback position, scroll, speed, etc. It makes playing the device really fun
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

plaamook

31 May 2021

ab459 wrote:
30 May 2021
Modulation start\end would be nice indeed. Rather i would say it's minimum for nowaday samplers.
Frankly, I'd love them to implement that in Grain. Another WTF moment really.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

AnotherMathias

01 Jun 2021

plaamook wrote:
31 May 2021
ab459 wrote:
30 May 2021
While I really like Grain, I have a hard time thinking about it as a proper sampler. It doesn’t support sample loop points or any kind of multisample split, both which had been available in all samplers since the 1981 E-mu Emulator.

Agreed that the ability to smoothly modulate start, end and loop points should be (and likely will be) part of the new sampler.
NN-XT can do a very basic sample start modulation by velocity, something I do use a lot. It’s better than many other samplers at this one thing, since it automatically removes the near-inevitable click this normally produces, without having to manually increase the amp attack time.

plaamook

01 Jun 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
01 Jun 2021
plaamook wrote:
31 May 2021

While I really like Grain, I have a hard time thinking about it as a proper sampler. It doesn’t support sample loop points or any kind of multisample split, both which had been available in all samplers since the 1981 E-mu Emulator.

Agreed that the ability to smoothly modulate start, end and loop points should be (and likely will be) part of the new sampler.
NN-XT can do a very basic sample start modulation by velocity, something I do use a lot. It’s better than many other samplers at this one thing, since it automatically removes the near-inevitable click this normally produces, without having to manually increase the amp attack time.
Obvs it depends on what you're doing with it but to me Grain does two things.
1) It allows you to loop as sample and you can see the wave form AND you can resample up and down octaves without having to pitch and stretch. For sketching out ideas this is pretty massive for me but I work in a pretty niche branch of the sound tree. Doing it all by ear in NNXT or having to bounce everything down 2-3 octaves or whatever...that was painful.
2) It's a great granular warper drone engine. I've got my complaints but thus far it the best one I've used in terms of uncomplicated interface and tweekability and directness of result.

You can modulate the sample start position in Grain but you can't have a different sample start point and loop start point in it's internal settings. You need to do that in the sequencer. So there's a work around there but it's a pain. However, it still blows NNXT off the rack if you're only working with single sample imo.

Or here.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2021

I can just feel it. I'm gonna make a shit ton of music with the new sampler. Come on RS, just release R12 already. :-)

AnotherMathias

01 Jun 2021

plaamook wrote:
01 Jun 2021
Obvs it depends on what you're doing with it but to me Grain does two things.
1) It allows you to loop as sample and you can see the wave form AND you can resample up and down octaves without having to pitch and stretch. For sketching out ideas this is pretty massive for me but I work in a pretty niche branch of the sound tree. Doing it all by ear in NNXT or having to bounce everything down 2-3 octaves or whatever...that was painful.
Looping the entire sample is seldom useful, that gets annoying quick. Why they didn't implement a normal sample loop point (all of their non-one-shot samples in the factory bank already have it embedded in them) is beyond me.
As with any granular engine you can pitch the playback up and down, but you will always get that garbled granular sound when you do, which is of course part of the design of a granular sample player. If you don't mind that underwater bubbly sound (which can often sound lovely) it's quite usable, but it is very different from normal sample pitching.

There are other sample manipulation methods with similar tradeoffs. Additive resynthesis, like on on the Synclavier, will let you analyze a sample, and then play it up and down in pitch without altering the length. But again, the results are quite synthetic sounding, and not very close to the original sample.
plaamook wrote:
01 Jun 2021
2) It's a great granular warper drone engine. I've got my complaints but thus far it the best one I've used in terms of uncomplicated interface and tweekability and directness of result.
Yes, agreed! I think it's a beautiful design, and really hits the sweet spot of accessibility vs complexity.
plaamook wrote:
01 Jun 2021
You can modulate the sample start position in Grain but you can't have a different sample start point and loop start point in it's internal settings. You need to do that in the sequencer. So there's a work around there but it's a pain. However, it still blows NNXT off the rack if you're only working with single sample imo.
Any manipulation of things like loop points in the sequencer isn't just a pain, it also only works if you play the sample monophonically. You couldn't access all the realtime per-note things like start/end/loop or filters though automation, unless you want every note to get processed monophonically in the same way.

plaamook

01 Jun 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
01 Jun 2021

Looping the entire sample is seldom useful, that gets annoying quick.
Depends on what you're looping... ;)

But yeah, even if it's just sketching as I said, I find it useful. And in Grain you can just dial in those loops points, move them, whatever, on the fly, play it 3 ocvtaves lower, no dropping anything into the sequencer. Super fast.

Or here.

PhillipOrdonez

01 Jun 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Jun 2021
I can just feel it. I'm gonna make a shit ton of music with the new sampler. Come on RS, just release R12 already. :-)
Me too, can't wait!

plaamook

02 Jun 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 Jun 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Jun 2021
Me too, can't wait!
Same. Quivering with anticipation.
I'm just so happy they're giving a chit about samplers again.

Or here.

PhillipOrdonez

02 Jun 2021

plaamook wrote:
02 Jun 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 Jun 2021

Me too, can't wait!
Same. Quivering with anticipation.
I'm just so happy they're giving a chit about samplers again.
Even reasontalk updated their sampling capabilities before Reason studios.

Aaaaaw shit! Fuck yeah, motherfuckers! 😂

PhillipOrdonez

02 Jun 2021

Woah, what happened to their automatic sample mangling of swear words there? 😱😱😱😂

PhillipOrdonez

02 Jun 2021

Reasontalk making me look like a fool. 😑

DaveyG

02 Jun 2021

This is what it looks like on my screen:
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Jun 2021
Oh dear. Darn it yes, lovely people.

PhillipOrdonez

02 Jun 2021

DaveyG wrote:
02 Jun 2021
This is what it looks like on my screen:
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Jun 2021
Oh dear. Darn it yes, lovely people.
Haha! That's more like it 😂😂☺️

FGL

02 Jun 2021

The new sampler should play blocks in real time from the hard drive. For 20 hours of DJ sets. Trigger points via keyboard.

Heigen5

02 Jun 2021

By the way, after getting R+ I was checking out the Scenic, which kinda also is a dual-layer-sampler and actually pretty cool device anyway. It has lots of effects and grain-mode and looks dope. Probably the new sampler will top it, as otherwise it wouldn't be even needed.

zoidkirb

02 Jun 2021

FGL wrote:
02 Jun 2021
The new sampler should play blocks in real time from the hard drive. For 20 hours of DJ sets. Trigger points via keyboard.
Great idea right here. Could bring Reason/Blocks a bit closer to being an alternative to Live's Session clip launching. But with a Reason twist, and more powerful in some ways.

RoryM0

03 Jun 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
02 Jun 2021
FGL wrote:
02 Jun 2021
Great idea right here. Could bring Reason/Blocks a bit closer to being an alternative to Live's Session clip launching. But with a Reason twist, and more powerful in some ways.
This would require integration with Reason's sequencer functionality, which would only be perceived as crippled features when the sampler is used in the RRP. So I'm going to throw a bit of doubt on this one.

However I would love to see a dedicated rack device that integrates with Blocks. Controls of triggering blocks and general playback functions, would be great for experimenting with song structure.

deigm

19 Jun 2021

I'd love to be able trigger blocks!

BRIGGS

19 Jun 2021

plaamook wrote:
31 May 2021
ab459 wrote:
30 May 2021
There's an option for that in the mod matrix:

image_2021-06-19_172121.png
image_2021-06-19_172121.png (223.3 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
r11s

plaamook

20 Jun 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
19 Jun 2021
plaamook wrote:
31 May 2021

Yep. I know. And you can automate too. But you can't set sample start point and loop start/end points as separate things internally.

Or here.

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2021

plaamook wrote:
20 Jun 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
19 Jun 2021

Yep. I know. And you can automate too. But you can't set sample start point and loop start/end points as separate things internally.
I think you kind of can... Using one of the Envelope, Sustain function and Jitter
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

• Information