I wish all Players had this - CV control over pattern selection

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

29 May 2021

Kudos to Enlightenspeed for being the first developer (I am aware of) to include CV control over pattern selection on the back of the player. I have been wanting this and asking developers for this for ages. I wish all Players with pattern selection offered this simple feature. I always have to do the Combi workaround, which is a PITA. So it's nice to see it finally built into a device: Inspiral!
Thank you, Brian!
pattern cv.JPG
pattern cv.JPG (137.89 KiB) Viewed 986 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

deigm

29 May 2021

What's the practice application for this? I don't use a lot of CV, what am I missing out on?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 May 2021

challism wrote: โ†‘
29 May 2021
Kudos to Enlightenspeed for being the first developer (I am aware of) to include CV control over pattern selection on the back of the player. I have been wanting this and asking developers for this for ages. I wish all Players with pattern selection offered this simple feature. I always have to do the Combi workaround, which is a PITA. So it's nice to see it finally built into a device: Inspiral!
Thank you, Brian!
pattern cv.JPG

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š
Always glad to see when someone appreciates a feature.

Please note however that this is MeloDramatik, not Inspiral ๐Ÿ™‚

As you were,
Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 May 2021

deigm wrote: โ†‘
29 May 2021
What's the practice application for this? I don't use a lot of CV, what am I missing out on?
Thereโ€™s a ton of different possibilities, if you already use a lot of CV. If you donโ€™t use CV much just now then I would recommend learning it and starting using more. First and foremost, as a modulation tool it is unparalleled but still leaves you with automation to spare, so you have further control opened up just like that.

The key to it is experimentation.

Enjoy,
Brian

challism

29 May 2021

Enlightenspeed wrote: โ†‘
29 May 2021
Please note however that this is MeloDramatik, not Inspiral ๐Ÿ™‚

As you were,
Cheers,
Brian
Derp! So it is! Releasing these two REs pretty much back to back... I confused the names.
deigm wrote: โ†‘
29 May 2021

Yes, as Brian said, experimentation. Also hooking it up to a random LFO waveform opens this player up into generative territory.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 May 2021

29 May 2021
Also hooking it up to a random LFO waveform opens this player up into generative territory.
Another cool one for MeloDramatik, is to use a slow LFO on open filters when there is plenty of bandwidth to the notes. Specifically using it on an LP works really well ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers,
Brian

challism

30 May 2021

29 May 2021
29 May 2021
Also hooking it up to a random LFO waveform opens this player up into generative territory.
Another cool one for MeloDramatik, is to use a slow LFO on open filters when there is plenty of bandwidth to the notes. Specifically using it on an LP works really well ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers,
Brian
Awesome! The more CV in/outs (and automatable targets) the better, I say. This is where Reason really shines, after all. I really hate it when a device is lacking in CV and automatable targets. Reason, itself, is surprisingly lacking in these. For instance, the Matrix and Redrum are extremely limited in automation targets (we should be able to automate the resolution knob). I'm not a programmer, but I imagine it wouldn't hard a team of programmers to add automation targets. A more glaring recent example is the "bypass all" toggle switch on the player frame interface. And the player's "play" button isn't automatable, either. Why on Earth aren't those automatable?

phithegoldenratio

31 May 2021

30 May 2021
29 May 2021

Cheers,
Brian
Awesome! The more CV in/outs (and automatable targets) the better, I say. This is where Reason really shines, after all. I really hate it when a device is lacking in CV and automatable targets. Reason, itself, is surprisingly lacking in these. For instance, the Matrix and Redrum are extremely limited in automation targets (we should be able to automate the resolution knob). I'm not a programmer, but I imagine it wouldn't hard a team of programmers to add automation targets. A more glaring recent example is the "bypass all" toggle switch on the player frame interface. And the player's "play" button isn't automatable, either. Why on Earth aren't those automatable?
the same kept me from loving Algoritm.. no automation for the modulation slots.. Scenic the same - so I did guess it was something like a trend to come with their newer REs to simplify things.. which is a trend I do not enjoy.

East Island

31 May 2021

Yes, I wish that too. I also use the way with the "Combi workaround" and it works. But preferably via a cv in.
But I am curious about the new combi V2. Maybe this one can do a lot!
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

31 May 2021

phithegoldenratio wrote: โ†‘
31 May 2021
30 May 2021

the same kept me from loving Algoritm.. no automation for the modulation slots.. Scenic the same - so I did guess it was something like a trend to come with their newer REs to simplify things.. which is a trend I do not enjoy.
It's not quite the same thing, I know, but there is a useful trick with Algoritm (but not Scenic, unfortunately) where you can use the CV Input sources as scaling functions for the programmed modulations. This allows you to control the modulation depth via CV, and thus automation if you are using a tool for this like the CV8x4 utility device. :D

• Information