Announcing the Selig Audio May Madness Sale!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
motuscott

28 May 2021

Fer cryin' outloud
I'm trying to save a little money for after the apocalypse
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

28 May 2021

What's the current exchange rate for Reason Rewards Points to pukka shells?

challism

28 May 2021

selig wrote:
28 May 2021

Doh, I failed product marketing 101…thanks for posting the link I should have posted! ;)

And don't forget Gustav was involved with NoteView as well, a little RE dev cross-pollination to keep things interesting…
No problem. I also added it to the first post.

I didn't know Gustav was involved with NoteView. Cool. I miss him. I really wish he were still putting out REs. He put out some quality stuff. MIDI-CV Converter probably my favorite player, as simple as it is.
selig wrote:
28 May 2021

What would folks think of a vocal-centric channel strip consisting of basic version of all three of those REs combined into one device? It's something I've been thinking about for some time but don't yet have a totally fixed idea of what would be included…and I'm not clear if it would be any better than just using all three as you do now.
My first thought: the beauty of having the three as separate devices is the ability to stack them in any order you want.
My second thought: I have all three devices so I can always stack them in any order. A new device would be cool, especially if it had some extra Selig magic sprinkled on top.

I'm curious to read what other people think of the idea.

A couple questions: Would you keep them all the same or would you make some changes? Would there be a way for users to rearrange the order?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

fullforce

28 May 2021

I'm on the fence for that coloring EQ. But has it really impacted someones sound or workflow here?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

28 May 2021

selig wrote:
16 May 2021
Noise wrote:
16 May 2021
now this is awkward. I have everything RE from selig :(
Well I’ll just have to cook up something new for you, I guess...
There is still no coffee machine in Reason!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Yonatan

28 May 2021

aeox wrote:
28 May 2021
Yonatan wrote:
28 May 2021

Tell me more. Coloring Eq is only Selig device I still have not bought, as I seen it as a bit of luxury device when having many other EQs. But am all for the concept. Have not used the trial yet though.
In what way do you use it and why you prefer it?
I think it definitely is a luxury device but that's a good thing :D It had opened me up to a lot of new possibilities with EQ that I didn't have before in (RE format)

The saturation and how it was implemented just works so well for so many different sources.
Also you can put a midi track through it and have the EQ follow your key. Which is really a nice feature, I'm not sure if that's a thing with VST EQ but it's great and is faster and more useful for me then tracking with CV a lot of the time. It also has eq curves that as far as I know; don't exist in any other RE EQs.
There is a master slider that lets you slide your eq curve around the frequency spectrum, gain, etc. I never knew how useful this was until I started using it.

There is more to it, but I recommend watch the videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/SeligAudio/videos

It may not look pretty like fabfilter, but it packs a ton of utility for the price in my opinion.
Thanks for sharing! It seems to be very versatile and offer an experimental dimension too. Swiss army knife EQ.
Fabfilter does have kind of spaceship display look to it, as many VSTs, I like either way, but in the rack, ColoringEQ
fits the context, with a functional darkgrey and then you can see the functions and the bands are divided by color.

integerpoet

28 May 2021

selig wrote:
28 May 2021
What would folks think of a vocal-centric channel strip consisting of basic version of all three of those REs combined into one device? It's something I've been thinking about for some time but don't yet have a totally fixed idea of what would be included…and I'm not clear if it would be any better than just using all three as you do now.
It strikes me that it doesn't need to be better than the suite as long as it's better than anything you could do without the suite.

I think people recognize value in a well-designed user experience which supports a cohesive marketing story even if it lacks details.

Also it could be a gateway drug. :-) I could totally see myself living with this for a while and then deciding to upgrade to the suite.

EdGrip

29 May 2021

Something aimed (and priced) at non-pros might be good (hobby singer-songwriters, people having a go at a podcast). Not much control, but easy to use and gets good results in most situations.

guitfnky

29 May 2021

selig wrote:
28 May 2021
challism wrote:
28 May 2021

I totally agree with this.

I have a saved combi patch that I used any time I am working with vocals, and it consists of Selig Leveler, Selig De-Esser and Selig Gain.
just about anything you put out will be great, because you put so much thought and effort into coming up with creative and innovative solutions. it would sell really well, especially since this seems to be a “thing” now, where plugins are built around a theme rather than a specific purpose.

for me though, I’m not a fan of that approach. all-in-one devices always sound good on paper to me, but I end up never using them. I guess I like to know at least a little bit about what’s going on under the hood, and usually these types of plugins have very broad/generic controls (by necessity).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 May 2021

I use Curve sometimes. I use Gain sometimes. And I use de-esser less than the other two but still sometimes. It’s very seldom I use them together. I think that, instead of an all in one device, a bundle would be a better idea.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Gardinski

29 May 2021

Regarding Selig's 'all-in-one' idea, I can see it being appealing for new users, but I'm not sure if there would be any practical incentive for existing users to upgrade if we're already happy with the three separate REs.

Obviously, there are many, many instances where you'd use Gain or Leveller on instrumental tracks, without any need for DeEsser. And as people have stated, when you're using all three together, it's nice to have the option of choosing the order in which they're applied.

But yes, I think from a general marketing POV, it would make a lot of sense. For new people who have come onboard with Reason+, (especially if they've been introduced via, say, Jelie's excellent Youtube tutorials, etc), Selig's plugins might not be immediately obvious to the people who might benefit from them the most. (Singers-songwriters / HipHop artists / wild-eyed performance poets, etc.) They're kind of buried down the shop, and unless potential customers are actively digging around in this forum for vocal advice, they may never even make the connection.

For those guys, repackaging them as a shiny new 'All You Can Eat' Vocal Chain device could make a massive difference, and would gain Giles the client base he undoubtedly deserves.

(Would the idea be to add any additional stuff, tailored specifically to vocal chains? Maybe a vocal-specific EQ / reverb, or whatever. Something like that could add sufficient additional value to entice existing owners of Gain/Lev/DeEsser to upgrade.)

fullforce

30 May 2021

Ah well, bought the coloring EQ, because it looks cool, it was on my wish list, and because Selig is awesome.

motuscott

30 May 2021

fullforce wrote:
30 May 2021
Selig is awesome.
Certainly no one is arguing that

fullforce

30 May 2021

motuscott wrote:
30 May 2021
fullforce wrote:
30 May 2021
Selig is awesome.
Certainly no one is arguing that
Jiggery Pokery is usually instabuy for me, but I was on the fence about this one. But I could not let this sale slide.

aeox
Competition Winner

30 May 2021

selig wrote:
28 May 2021
aeox wrote:
28 May 2021
It may not look pretty like fabfilter, but it packs a ton of utility for the price in my opinion.
I like to think that it was more important to focus on features first, looks second. One day I hope to update it to look a little prettier, but there's not much else I'd change about it other than the front panel. The processing part is second to none, but of course I'm biased…

First and foremost ColoringEQ was intended to be the end all EQ for me in Reason, what I grab when the channel EQ isn't enough. From the smooth shelves (or add resonance for a peak/dip response) to the incredibly wide to narrow Qs possible (more range than any other EQ in Reason), to special EQ types like Tilt and Smiley, to the innovative and still unique continuous Slope on the filters, and little things like a depth control on the Notch filter and individual I/O for each band.

I could go on - all to say don't let the "ugly" fool you…this is a world class EQ with some extra (and extremely useful IMO) bells and whistles. ;)
I like your approach.

Don't remember calling it ugly :D

• Information