Bitwig 4 announced

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mravdirato

27 May 2021

Looks like RS and Bitboys are going head-to-head:

https://www.bitwig.com/whats-new/

ver. 4 is coming and the features are promising

Any thoughts, guys?

Ottostrom

27 May 2021

The only thing I would be excited about as a Bitwig user is the audio comping and that's something Reason has offered for ages now.

Alkua

27 May 2021

Look like Ableton with colors

jam-s

27 May 2021

That's not all that surprising as Bitwig is a spin off by some former Ableton devs.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 May 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
27 May 2021
The only thing I would be excited about as a Bitwig user is the audio comping and that's something Reason has offered for ages now.
Reason also used to automatically colour all of your clips (well, midi clips) before the first timeline overhaul around 2007 ish.

Ottostrom

27 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
27 May 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
27 May 2021
Reason also used to automatically colour all of your clips (well, midi clips) before the first timeline overhaul around 2007 ish.
It still automatically color your clips as long as the "Auto-color Tracks and Channels" options is selected?
Or do you mean in some other way?

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 May 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
27 May 2021
It still automatically color your clips as long as the "Auto-color Tracks and Channels" options is selected?
Or do you mean in some other way?
It used to automatically colour all note clips based on the notes so that if you changed it a little it would have a different colour.

This feature was removed when the sequencer was changed in Reason 4.0

loopeydoug

27 May 2021

I saw "new musical timeliness" and I thought, holy hell, someone's finally offering multiple tempo tracks in the same project. Nope. That's just the tag line.

integerpoet

27 May 2021

loopeydoug wrote:
27 May 2021
I saw "new musical timeliness" and I thought, holy hell, someone's finally offering multiple tempo tracks in the same project. Nope. That's just the tag line.
I'm not sure what "multiple tempo tracks in the same project" means.

Reason does allow tempo changes in a single project. I've actually used it.

It doesn't as far as I know allow one to set tempo on a per-track basis. Maybe that's what you meant?

integerpoet

27 May 2021

Alkua wrote:
27 May 2021
I don't know much about Bitwig, but from that one quick video it didn't look to me as if it prominently features clip-launching, which seems to me like the most significant different between Live and other DAWs.

jam-s

27 May 2021

integerpoet wrote:
27 May 2021
Alkua wrote:
27 May 2021
I don't know much about Bitwig, but from that one quick video it didn't look to me as if it prominently features clip-launching, which seems to me like the most significant different between Live and other DAWs.
https://www.bitwig.com/learnings/discov ... tudio-117/

Bitwig is basically Ableton live re-imagined.

Ahornberg

27 May 2021

I think it's time for me to drop Bitwig completely from my DAW collection. I want to make music. I don't want to mess around with random notes.

loopeydoug

27 May 2021

integerpoet wrote:
27 May 2021
loopeydoug wrote:
27 May 2021
I'm not sure what "multiple tempo tracks in the same project" means.

Reason does allow tempo changes in a single project. I've actually used it.

It doesn't as far as I know allow one to set tempo on a per-track basis. Maybe that's what you meant?
Yeah, I meant simultaneously running tempo tracks that you can assign different tracks to. It would have automatic click/grid/quantizing to whichever tempo track has focus. Obviously you can currently achieve this with a scratch tempo change placed later in a project and just render it, turn off stretch, and fly it in wherever you want it, but I've dreamed about the former idea for years as it would be much more intuitive and non-destructive.

EdGrip

29 May 2021

jam-s wrote:
27 May 2021
Bitwig is basically Ableton live re-imagined.
Yep. If you're considering Ableton, you should consider Bitwig too - try both, familiarise yourself with the features, and work out which is best for you. It's useful to think of Bitwig as a branch of Live. You lose Max, but gain the Grid, which is a modular sound design environment similar to Reaktor or the Rack in Reason. Lots of smaller differences, like Bitwig allows you to adjust a parameter that is being modulated from elsewhere, Live doesn't. Live has Push 2 and its uniquely deep integration; Bitwig has some very good Push 2 scripts but it's not as good. Etc.

If you are a Linux user, Bitwig is Live for Linux. I think it's still the only proper DAW for Linux.

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 May 2021

EdGrip wrote:
29 May 2021
If you are a Linux user, Bitwig is Live for Linux. I think it's still the only proper DAW for Linux.
Shots fired 🤣

• Information