New Sampler Thread

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
plaamook

27 May 2021

Thanks, I thought that was the term.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

jam-s

27 May 2021

plaamook wrote:
27 May 2021
Reason being what it is I can't see whay we can;t easily loop things back within Reason itself. We 've got a load of cables...
If the new sampler will take audio staight from Reaon's output why can't the other samplers? Or will they? Seems like it should or could be general internal routing that achives this, not just the new fangled sampler. Like how 'sampling' was added to everything.
You can sample anything into any sampler within Reason. Just make sure to connect the "sampling input" to the source you want to sample. See "Chapter 21 Sampling" in the manual.

plaamook

27 May 2021

jam-s wrote:
27 May 2021
plaamook wrote:
27 May 2021
Reason being what it is I can't see whay we can;t easily loop things back within Reason itself. We 've got a load of cables...
If the new sampler will take audio staight from Reaon's output why can't the other samplers? Or will they? Seems like it should or could be general internal routing that achives this, not just the new fangled sampler. Like how 'sampling' was added to everything.
You can sample anything into any sampler within Reason. Just make sure to connect the "sampling input" to the source you want to sample. See "Chapter 21 Sampling" in the manual.
Yep. There had to be a way. Thanks.
No idea if I'll ever do this (hence that fact that I've not even read that bit of the manual) but thanks.

Or here.

AnotherMathias

27 May 2021

EdGrip wrote:
27 May 2021
In general. The S950 had it in 1988, 33 years ago. That's nearly as long as I've been alive. Yet none of the Reason samplers do, and it's not a niche function.
Well, yes and no. Some of those old machines have time stretch, but never in real time. It's basic destructive sample processing, and a slow one at that. If that's what you want, you can process your samples in whatever sample editor you like and import to Reason.

For real-time sample stretching (or pitching up or down without altering the length, same thing really), the technology has gotten a whole lot better, but it's never going to be great. The results are very dependent on your settings being perfect for whatever source material you use (a drum loop needs very different processing from a string sound). And at best, it still produces a pretty garbled mess when you stray far from the root key.
Also, it's quite processor intensive. If you have 40-50 voices stretching in real-time, it adds up.

The only way to get a clean, ungarbled pitched version of a sample is to do what we've done for decades - play it back faster or slower. Yes, for a wide keyboard range you need to multisample (the more samples the better), but odds are that what you are reproducing would have a different tonal character at different pitches anyway.

For loop, the old Recycle format gets around this pretty cleverly. Since it chops up each hit of a loop, they can be played back at different tempos without having to do any time stretching at all. If you alter the pitch the hits in the loop, each hit just plazy faster or slower in the old fashioned way. No artifacts, easy on the processor.

DaveyG

27 May 2021

The question is: Are they going to drop the word "Advanced" from the NN-XT name or are they going to call the new one a "Really Advanced Sampler"?

plaamook

27 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
27 May 2021
The question is: Are they going to drop the word "Advanced" from the NN-XT name or are they going to call the new one a "Really Advanced Sampler"?
That was Grain.
The new one will be Really REALLY Advanced.
Always a good idea to think long and hard before making those kinds of proclaimations.
Generally whenever you wanna make one... don't!

Or here.

jam-s

27 May 2021

It's going to be "super advanced".

AnotherMathias

27 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
27 May 2021
My worry is that it'll be a RDDS. (really dumbed-down sampler)

QVprod

27 May 2021

sdst wrote:
27 May 2021
Carpainter wrote:
22 May 2021
I hate to be 'that guy', but the last thing Reason needs is a new sampler. NN-XT and Grain already cover all of the bases. In terms of sampling, all Reason needs
unless the new sampler has time stretching

a sampler without time stretching is obsolete
It does

thefixr

27 May 2021

plaamook wrote:
27 May 2021
jam-s wrote:
27 May 2021

Yep. There had to be a way. Thanks.
No idea if I'll ever do this (hence that fact that I've not even read that bit of the manual) but thanks.

My default template has the control room out always plugged into the sampling input.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

Goriila Texas

28 May 2021

I hope the new sampler is kind of like SliceX with each chop has it's own modulation parameters. I would like to have at least 16 stereo outs so samples can have different channels. BPM, Key detection and Time stretching algos.

AnotherMathias

28 May 2021

One of these days I need to spend some time trying to wrap my head around why everyone is so enamored with chopping up other people's work!

guitfnky

28 May 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
28 May 2021
One of these days I need to spend some time trying to wrap my head around why everyone is so enamored with chopping up other people's work!
you and me both. the only thing I like samplers for is (apparently) multisampled drum kits, and the best ones come in the form of VSTs where I don’t even have to look at an actual sample editor. 😅
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

DaveyG

28 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 May 2021
AnotherMathias wrote:
28 May 2021
you and me both. the only thing I like samplers for is (apparently) multisampled drum kits, and the best ones come in the form of VSTs where I don’t even have to look at an actual sample editor. 😅
It's so we can all be The Prodigy:

https://www.whosampled.com/The-Prodigy/ ... p/samples/

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2021

EdGrip wrote:
27 May 2021
In general. The S950 had it in 1988, 33 years ago. That's nearly as long as I've been alive. Yet none of the Reason samplers do, and it's not a niche function.
Yes the 950 could stretch a sample offline just like you can in Reason (!) for years now, but no "real time" stretching as you play across the keyboard, as is being requested.
Selig Audio, LLC

BRIGGS

28 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 May 2021
AnotherMathias wrote:
28 May 2021
Hey kids...Using FX, stretching, reversing, etc... resampling 'your own work' gets you interesting vibes you can't get otherwise. Especially with Grain.

IOW, a sampler could just be the final destination for your sound. :puf_smile:
r11s

EdGrip

28 May 2021

Lol "should"

guitfnky

28 May 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
28 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
28 May 2021

Hey kids...Using FX, stretching, reversing, etc... resampling 'your own work' gets you interesting vibes you can't get otherwise. Especially with Grain.

I use Grain a lot, but I don’t think of it as a sampler in the traditional sense.

samplers are great if they work for you/others, I just don’t get them, personally. I usually prefer immediate results, and having to dump sounds into a sampler and then manipulate them to get them to do what I want isn’t very appealing to me. I rarely want to mangle stuff like that across an entire instrument—the results have been uniformly boring, in my experience. so if I end up needing to chop something up, reverse, or stretch it, it’s usually only once over the course of a given song, and I’ll do it directly in the sequencer.

Grain is a bit different because I can throw anything I want at it, make a few tweaks, and have something awesome even without really having any idea what it’ll sound like, until it’s done.

BRIGGS

28 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 May 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
28 May 2021

I use Grain a lot, but I don’t think of it as a sampler in the traditional sense.

samplers are great if they work for you/others, I just don’t get them, personally. I usually prefer immediate results, and having to dump sounds into a sampler and then manipulate them to get them to do what I want isn’t very appealing to me. I rarely want to mangle stuff like that across an entire instrument—the results have been uniformly boring, in my experience. so if I end up needing to chop something up, reverse, or stretch it, it’s usually only once over the course of a given song, and I’ll do it directly in the sequencer.

Grain is a bit different because I can throw anything I want at it, make a few tweaks, and have something awesome even without really having any idea what it’ll sound like, until it’s done.
Grain is awesome in that context! Normal samplers only wish they could be as cool. :cool:

So yeah, at the end of the day...I wouldn't recommend building an instrument in a sampler, if you're trying to write a song. It'll likely suck away too much creativity. I would keep that process separate, for sound library building aka making your own presets, or a final polish on your song.. :puf_smile:
r11s

fullforce

28 May 2021

So this means that we're finally getting cut and paste in the Reason sampler?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

guitfnky

28 May 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
28 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
28 May 2021

Grain is awesome in that context! Normal samplers only wish they could be as cool. :cool:

So yeah, at the end of the day...I wouldn't recommend building an instrument in a sampler, if you're trying to write a song. It'll likely suck away too much creativity. I would keep that process separate, for sound library building aka making your own presets, or a final polish on your song.. :puf_smile:
good point—I think I’ve gone too far toward treating *everything* as a songwriting process, including making sounds. I’ve been sort of thinking about finding a way to separate them more, so if I end up getting 12, maybe diving into the new sampler would be a worthwhile starting point.

ORBIT_X

28 May 2021

Looking forward to the new sampler. I would hope that we have the ability to sample both internal and external sources via instance(s) of Reason Rack plugins. But I won't hold my breath... It will probably never happen... ever. LOL

QVprod

28 May 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
28 May 2021
Learning is always nice! Aside the fact that there are entire genres that are based off this, sampling is simply another sound creation/playback tool.

AnotherMathias

28 May 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
28 May 2021
Very true.
Which is probably why I've made hundreds of sampler patches, and roughly zero completed songs.

BRIGGS

28 May 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
28 May 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
28 May 2021
Very true.
Which is probably why I've made hundreds of sampler patches, and roughly zero completed songs.
Yep, finishing songs is hard work. Better to have a good amount of work completed beforehand.

It makes things more fun. : )
r11s

• Information