The Reason FSB Reloaded challenge ...

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
avasopht
Competition Winner

26 May 2021

Roland Cloud has got me thinking. They release weekly genre/mood specific patches built on top of sounds from the 90s and synths dating back from as far back as the 80s.

Well, the FSB and Orkester Sound Bank have a plethora of sounds (not to mention the synths we have available to us).

I propose the following:
1. Collaboratively construct a revamped sound library (we could even use a Korg, Roland or Yamaha synth as a guide for the categories and range of patches)
2. Produce genre/mood specific 16-patch sound packs, which can be released weekly from different contributors.

I can build a management system for this with the following features:
1. A collaborative patch library.
2. Ability to add a proposal patch (basically it's not a patch, but a description of it that you can attach a sample of what it should sound like).
3. Uploading patches to categories with additional tags if need be (for management and searching).
- With some basic and limited version control.
4. If I can get Reason installed on a remote server, I can get it to automatically compile Refills. Alternatively, it will just serve a zip that can be manually turned into a Refill, or accessed directly.
5. An online searchable patch browser that can feature a sample of the sound, which can even be downloaded if need be (doesn't require a refill). Tags can be used to search for character (e.g. bright, dark, fast, mono, etc.)

My involvement will primarily be the system (I can knock it up quite quickly). I can also assist in setting up categories, patch proposals and patches.

Any feature suggestions are welcome. I'm sure there'll be no shortage of contributors here.

First decision: the what categories?

As an example, Korg Triton categories are:

PROG
1. Keyboard
2. Organ
3. Bell/mallet
4. Strings
5. Vocal/airy
6. Brass
7. Wood/reed
8. Guitar/plucked
9. Bass
10. Slow synth
11. Fast synth
12. Lead synth
13. Motion synth
14. SE
15. Hit/arpg
16. Drums

COMBI
1. Keyboard
2. Organ
3. Bell/mallet/perc
4. Strings
5. Brass reed
6. Orchestral
7. World
8. Guitar/plucked
9. Pads
10. Motion synth
11. Synth
12. Lead splits
13. Bass splits
14. Complex & SE
15. Rhythmic
16. Ds/hits

deeplink
Competition Winner

26 May 2021

Would we have to pay a subscription :P
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 May 2021

deeplink wrote:
26 May 2021
Would we have to pay a subscription :P
Brilliant idea 😜

It won't cost much for me to host, but don't let that stop you from donating a tenth of your monthly earnings!

DaveyG

26 May 2021

I'm prepared to donate a tenth of my monthly debts. Would that do?

I love the idea of a collaborative patch library. I wonder if there would be any mileage in waiting to see what the new browser in R12 is like. Maybe there will be a tagging system that we can copy or use.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
26 May 2021
I love the idea of a collaborative patch library. I wonder if there would be any mileage in waiting to see what the new browser in R12 is like. Maybe there will be a tagging system that we can copy or use.
If they have something like that I'd replicate it as it will make it easier to search around the library. And with playable sample snippets, I can allow users to compile collections of patches to evaluate within the browser (it might be useful when creating patches to compliment other sounds).

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 May 2021

I thought there'd be more takers ...

I just thought something interesting could come out of making use of FSB sounds using newer devices and effects.

Maybe the new sampler might change things a little

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

28 May 2021

I'd love to contribute!

Jagwah

29 May 2021

Really cool idea I will contribute if I can do something I consider worthy, great incentive, let's go for it!

epoch

29 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
26 May 2021
Roland Cloud has got me thinking. They release weekly genre/mood specific patches built on top of sounds from the 90s and synths dating back from as far back as the 80s.

Well, the FSB and Orkester Sound Bank have a plethora of sounds (not to mention the synths we have available to us).

I propose the following:
1. Collaboratively construct a revamped sound library (we could even use a Korg, Roland or Yamaha synth as a guide for the categories and range of patches)
2. Produce genre/mood specific 16-patch sound packs, which can be released weekly from different contributors.

I can build a management system for this with the following features:
1. A collaborative patch library.
2. Ability to add a proposal patch (basically it's not a patch, but a description of it that you can attach a sample of what it should sound like).
3. Uploading patches to categories with additional tags if need be (for management and searching).
- With some basic and limited version control.
4. If I can get Reason installed on a remote server, I can get it to automatically compile Refills. Alternatively, it will just serve a zip that can be manually turned into a Refill, or accessed directly.
5. An online searchable patch browser that can feature a sample of the sound, which can even be downloaded if need be (doesn't require a refill). Tags can be used to search for character (e.g. bright, dark, fast, mono, etc.)

My involvement will primarily be the system (I can knock it up quite quickly). I can also assist in setting up categories, patch proposals and patches.

Any feature suggestions are welcome. I'm sure there'll be no shortage of contributors here.

First decision: the what categories?

As an example, Korg Triton categories are:

PROG
1. Keyboard
2. Organ
3. Bell/mallet
4. Strings
5. Vocal/airy
6. Brass
7. Wood/reed
8. Guitar/plucked
9. Bass
10. Slow synth
11. Fast synth
12. Lead synth
13. Motion synth
14. SE
15. Hit/arpg
16. Drums

COMBI
1. Keyboard
2. Organ
3. Bell/mallet/perc
4. Strings
5. Brass reed
6. Orchestral
7. World
8. Guitar/plucked
9. Pads
10. Motion synth
11. Synth
12. Lead splits
13. Bass splits
14. Complex & SE
15. Rhythmic
16. Ds/hits
What would be even more amazing is if someone went through the whole FSB and reworked every sound in it to be of higher quality then packed it into a ReFill using the name 'Reason Factory Sound Bank' matching the existing layout and file structure etc.

Then all you'd need to do is swap out the original RS Factory Sound Bank.rfl with the new one and voila, all your songs that use those sounds would load up with the new ones instead.

Such a project would be be a huge undertaking however....

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 May 2021

epoch wrote:
29 May 2021

What would be even more amazing is if someone went through the whole FSB and reworked every sound in it to be of higher quality then packed it into a ReFill using the name 'Reason Factory Sound Bank' matching the existing layout and file structure etc.

Then all you'd need to do is swap out the original RS Factory Sound Bank.rfl with the new one and voila, all your songs that use those sounds would load up with the new ones instead.

Yeah but that would violate copyright.

Even just changing the sample start/end/loop points requires creating a new wave file.

But I don't that that'll be too much of an issue. There's a lot of good material in there already. It just needs a little to be packaged from a different perspective.

epoch

30 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
29 May 2021
epoch wrote:
29 May 2021

Yeah but that would violate copyright.

Even just changing the sample start/end/loop points requires creating a new wave file.

But I don't that that'll be too much of an issue. There's a lot of good material in there already. It just needs a little to be packaged from a different perspective.
I meant recreate each sound from scratch, just use the same names. That wouldn't infringe copyright!

• Information