How can i see the tune of a sound in reason?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
damasio

08 May 2021

Hi
In logic, Cubase etc there are native plugins that can show you the tune of a sound.
I like to use this for hihats, kicks & percussion. How can i do this in reason so that i can see the tune/root note of a sound?

Neptune should be able to handle this, but meh i found that its just not accurate in most cases.

geronimo

08 May 2021

With Pitch Edit for the audio Tracks .

mjxl

09 May 2021

You could use Grain, depends if you have full version of Reason :)

deeplink
Competition Winner

09 May 2021

Use the built in tuner.
- Select 'rec source' on your instrument/sampler mix channel
- Create an audio track, with the source of the above mix channel
- open up the tuner (spanner Icon on the Audio Track in the Sequencer)/ or hit Ctrl-F3

EDIT: Good for mono synths sounds etc. But not for drum samples
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

selig
RE Developer

09 May 2021

Most percussion doesn’t have a discrete pitch, and many kicks including synthesized kicks have a pitch bend that means there isn’t just one fixed pitch. There IS, however, a predominant pitch “area” with many drums and I find the best way to see that pitch is using an EQ or filter with a narrow boost to isolate the frequency of the sound. You can easily tell which frequency is strongest by sweeping p the strongest/loudest is the predominant pitch, using your ears or a level meter.
Of course, I use my own EQ (ColoringEQ) to do this because it is already tuned to semitones (Zane supports super narrow EQ/Filter shapes) so I can quickly sweep and find the pitch(s) of any sound if present. I can also impose a pitch on any non-pitched sound, and adding saturation further enhances this effect. And of course, I often “Play” the pitches via MIDI or CV to create bass lines and melodies from percussive parts.
Selig Audio, LLC

nooomy

24 May 2021

From what i know there is no VST or program that can accurately detect the pitch of a drum sound.

Just use your ears.

madwurmz

24 May 2021

damasio wrote:
08 May 2021
for hihats, kicks & percussion. How can i do this in reason so that i can see the tune/root note of a sound?
hi!
I use MAnalyzer for this, Im putting bassdrums and snare on the root or on the 5th , it's a commitment to stay in key :)
It can automatically indicate any pitch, I think it's the easy way of doing whats described by Selig :mrgreen: it's a free VST.
madwurmz from planet verbs

nooomy

24 May 2021

mad@madwurmz.com wrote:
24 May 2021
damasio wrote:
08 May 2021
for hihats, kicks & percussion. How can i do this in reason so that i can see the tune/root note of a sound?
hi!
I use MAnalyzer for this, Im putting bassdrums and snare on the root or on the 5th , it's a commitment to stay in key :)
It can automatically indicate any pitch, I think it's the easy way of doing whats described by Selig :mrgreen: it's a free VST.
Damn! Thats some cool functions at 15:00.

I Have never seen a spectrum analyzer do that!

I love tuning my drums, takes the beat to the next level for me.

madwurmz

24 May 2021

yes, isolate just one sound makes it easier to analyze. I put it in the rack and adjust the Avaraging and Smoothing settings to make the indicators move slower and then I change the pitch in Kong or sampler.
There's also Waves Torque VST that does percussion tuning but it works a bit unexpected.

madwurmz from planet verbs

Jagwah

25 May 2021

I like the Gtune VST. About ten dollars IIRC.

nooomy

25 May 2021

Do you guys have any good tutorial on what you should tune your drums to?

Like the kick can be in the fundamental tone but the rest? What do you guys tune your snare to?

Billy+

26 May 2021

damasio wrote:
08 May 2021
Hi
In logic, Cubase etc there are native plugins that can show you the tune of a sound.
I like to use this for hihats, kicks & percussion. How can i do this in reason so that i can see the tune/root note of a sound?

Neptune should be able to handle this, but meh i found that its just not accurate in most cases.
Quickest way is to drop the sample into grain the click the set button, it should at least get you to the fundamental for the sample.

• Information