Someone sell me on AutoLatch

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2021

challism wrote:
24 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
24 May 2021

Here is a simple one from me. Just press play.

Notes from Beat Map and Autolatch makes some of them longer. Instant riff. Play with the presets in AL.
Sounds like a Depeche Mode synth riff. Nice. AutoLatch works so well with Beatmap, doesn't it? Really makes it a usable player for non-percussive instruments. Nice patch.
Ok...ll give that a go. Up until now I thought BeatMap was pretty useless. Hope this’ll prove me wrong.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

24 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2021
challism wrote:
24 May 2021

Sounds like a Depeche Mode synth riff. Nice. AutoLatch works so well with Beatmap, doesn't it? Really makes it a usable player for non-percussive instruments. Nice patch.
Ok...ll give that a go. Up until now I thought BeatMap was pretty useless. Hope this’ll prove me wrong.
I prefer using Beatmap to run instruments other than drums. But you have to have AutoLatch, otherwise they all just sound like ghost notes with 1/128 long gates (not a bad sound, but AL really magnifies the possibilities).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DaveyG

24 May 2021

challism wrote:
24 May 2021
MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2021

I prefer using Beatmap to run instruments other than drums. But you have to have AutoLatch, otherwise they all just sound like ghost notes with 1/128 long gates (not a bad sound, but AL really magnifies the possibilities).
In that example I posted I also set the 4 mirror notes about 4 octaves higher so you can turn one or two of those knobs and get some interesting punctuation notes happening (or you can overdo it and end up with a mess). And, yeah, turning off the AL can give you a nice staccato thing that would be good for a breakdown or intro.

challism

24 May 2021

I notice the higher octave mirrors... and the mess. I know all about messes.
Pretty groovy groove you got going there with the four lower notes.

Similar to Beatmap, Drum Sequencer can also be used to play instruments other than drums. AL helps for that
ALInit.zip
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

mjxl

24 May 2021

I mean, a video says more than words :)

challism

24 May 2021

mjxl wrote:
24 May 2021
I mean, a video says more than words :)

Is that what the guys from Extreme were talking about? A video? I could have sworn it was about sex.

If you look closely, you can see the acoustic guitarist is using AutoLatch to mute the chords.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2021

challism wrote:
24 May 2021
MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2021

Yep. Ok :). That was actually pretty cool :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mjxl

24 May 2021

challism wrote:
24 May 2021
If you look closely, you can see the acoustic guitarist is using AutoLatch to mute the chords.
lmao, I giggled a little bit there

Auryn

25 May 2021

I bought this and though it's definitely useful I would have loved it if it were possible to sync the latching to the transport bar somehow, rather than only the note counting function it now has.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

challism

31 May 2021

Auryn wrote:
25 May 2021
I bought this and though it's definitely useful I would have loved it if it were possible to sync the latching to the transport bar somehow, rather than only the note counting function it now has.
The developer is very good at updating his devices. I wouldn't put it past him to include such features to future updates. What would this idea of yours look like? Can you explain it a bit further? Please expand upon the idea and I'll bring this to Marcos' attention.

mjxl

31 May 2021

challism wrote:
31 May 2021
Please expand upon the idea and I'll bring this to Marcos' attention.
Indeed, I'm thinking latch for *timeperiod* ? So 1/128th -> 128/1 ? :P

Auryn

31 May 2021

challism wrote:
31 May 2021
Auryn wrote:
25 May 2021
The developer is very good at updating his devices. I wouldn't put it past him to include such features to future updates. What would this idea of yours look like? Can you explain it a bit further? Please expand upon the idea and I'll bring this to Marcos' attention.
Thanks for the offer. Let's see if I can explain this properly. I often use the Alligator's gate patterns as triggers for synths, and was hoping to use Autolatch to introduce some long notes. But because the number of gates in the pattern isn't necessarily even, so the counting function yields very complex, shifting patterns. I was hoping the device would be able to sync to transport. So you could use it like a matrix, determining where in a 16 or 32 note pattern the latching engages. I hope that explains it...?
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

StephenHutchinson

31 May 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
22 May 2021
So I know it's only $9.00 in the shop and a lot of you guys are really into it. But I have it on trial and I can't figure out why I should be excited. I get how the thing works, I just can't see its creative potential

I'd be interested to know some of the setups you've got it going in, so that I can reproduce them and see if that convinces me of its greatness

Here are the players I own, how can AutoLatch add to the experience?

CV Player Tap
Evolution
Kompulsion
RND Generator & Randomizer
UTL Filter & Adjust
MIDI-CV Converter
ChordLine
I was just reading this post, downloaded Autolatch, and followed DaveyG's instructions and then embellished on them a bit. I bought the Autolatch Re: after playing around with it for 5 minutes.

Here is a download of the song, and a screenshot of the result:

Pattern Mutator + Autolatch + Dual Arp + Europa (Callisto)
Attachments
Pattern Mutator + Autolatch + Dual Arp + Europa (Callisto) v2.0.reason.zip
(187.38 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 9.23.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 9.23.47 PM.png (533.17 KiB) Viewed 536 times
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

• Information