Simple Question: What is more important?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.

What is more important?

Add new features
53%
Revise/Update existing devices
47%

Total votes: 75
deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
14 Mar 2021
We just don't want to be stuck in the middle with half the functionality in one device and half in the other device, and no way to get the best of both worlds...
Kalm wrote:
14 Mar 2021

IDK, why didn't props just put a "Classic" version in the new filter effect? Could've all been consolidated imo
Just to jump on the band wagon here - I know Sweeper has an cool audio trigger, but the ECF has a midi triggered envelope.

I couldn't believe it when I realised Sweeper didn't accept midi as a trigger.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2021

All of the above.

Update devices so much they're practically new devices.

Fix the Thor bugs that require tricks to use properly.

Add ensemble and effects sections to old devices.

Surprise us.

Add some Grain functionality to Malstrom.

Add some Parsec functionality to Thor.

Kalm

15 Mar 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
14 Mar 2021
yeah this is exactly what i think; if they are gonna have a dropdown of 12 filters or however many it is, why NOT include the 3 from the original unit but with the new modulation and fine-grained frequency control. as it is now, there's no way to take advantage of the new higher resolution of automation but with the clean filters.

That's really all I (and I suspect some of the other) people are really saying when we talk about upgrading old devices. We're not saying "don't make new features" - quite the opposite. We just don't want to be stuck in the middle with half the functionality in one device and half in the other device, and no way to get the best of both worlds.
Kalm wrote:
14 Mar 2021

IDK, why didn't props just put a "Classic" version in the new filter effect? Could've all been consolidated imo
Exactly
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Creativemind

20 Mar 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Kalm wrote:
27 Feb 2021

Cause then you'll end up with a bunch of redundant unused devices. 14:2 mixer? ECF Filter, Chorus, Delay. . .
Getting Sweeper and Quartet was godly. SSL Console to replace the MClass? We clearly should get a revised Thor. So yes this is a definite option/opinion
Learn to read... it says revise / update EXISTING devices. Sweeper and Quartet were not existing devices. I don’t want Thor version 2.0. I want something more modern / better / a new different take on things, etc..
Updating existing devices would or could make them more modern though.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

20 May 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
14 Mar 2021
Yeah this is a conundrum; when people say "why update the old devices, make new better ones" - I want to agree in principle. However, in practice, that doesn't happen. Scream is a perfect example. It's a pretty good distortion unit, and doesn't need a lot of work to be truly excellent. If it had wet/dry, oversampling, and the phase issues fixed, it would be the best distortion unit in any DAW by far. So, what to do... Will RS make a completely new distortion unit that covers everything Scream can do, but has those improvements and also advanced new features?? If they did, OF COURSE that would be better, nobody would disagree. But recent history shows us that if they release a new distortion unit it will probably not include the original Scream modes, and it will not really supercede Scream, meaning we will have 2 ok-ish units instead of 1 great unit.
And a Clip Distortion setting would be great too and one of my bug bears in Reason, put the damn parameters in readings that actually mean something to the parameter you're tweaking if backwards compatability isn't an issue in doing so.

I will Google but what is oversampling and what would it give Scream?

EDIT - So oversampling removes aliasing. Can you personally hear the aliasing can you?

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 May 2021

Creativemind wrote:
20 May 2021
And a Clip Distortion setting would be great too and one of my bug bears in Reason, put the damn parameters in readings that actually mean something to the parameter you're tweaking if backwards compatability isn't an issue in doing so.

EDIT - So oversampling removes aliasing. Can you personally hear the aliasing can you?
Yes, you can definitely hear aliasing.

When any frequency (which could be a harmonic of a tone such as a sawtooth) is higher than half the sample rate (the Nyquist frequency), it will result in producing a tone at a different frequency.

For example, if your sample rate is 100, a tone at 60 comes out as 40, as does a tone at 140, 160, 240 and 260. You will hear that as tones that aren't harmonics.

Distortion effects add harmonics, and some of those harmonics will be higher than the Nyquist frequency. The same thing happens with FM and regular synthesis, but at least with the reproduction of a basic tone, there are tricks to eliminate the harmonics (such as blep).

Oversampling removes aliasing by simply operating at a higher sampling rate, applying a step filter, and then downsampling back to the sampling rate. You'll see many Waves plugins state a higher internal sampling rate in their specifications. That is oversampling.

For scream it just means better distortion effects with less aliasing.

Creativemind

20 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
20 May 2021
Creativemind wrote:
20 May 2021

Yes, you can definitely hear aliasing.

When any frequency (which could be a harmonic of a tone such as a sawtooth) is higher than half the sample rate (the Nyquist frequency), it will result in producing a tone at a different frequency.

For example, if your sample rate is 100, a tone at 60 comes out as 40, as does a tone at 140, 160, 240 and 260. You will hear that as tones that aren't harmonics.

Distortion effects add harmonics, and some of those harmonics will be higher than the Nyquist frequency. The same thing happens with FM and regular synthesis, but at least with the reproduction of a basic tone, there are tricks to eliminate the harmonics (such as blep).

Oversampling removes aliasing by simply operating at a higher sampling rate, applying a step filter, and then downsampling back to the sampling rate. You'll see many Waves plugins state a higher internal sampling rate in their specifications. That is oversampling.

For scream it just means better distortion effects with less aliasing.
:thumbs_up:

plaamook

23 May 2021

Yeah, I went for update. Though they rarely do that.
Agree with all the arguments for it here. Especially how we end up w half the parameters in one device and other half in the other.
These little things are infuriating in Reason once you get stuck in.
Wet dry on scream. Absolutely.
Free run on matrix.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information