Here Are Some Cool Logic Pro X + Reason Rack Tips

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2020

And we have our first question from the audience:

HOW DO I USE EUROPA'S ENVELOPE TO MODULATE ALCHEMY'S FILTER?

TOO EASY.

1. Insert a Reason Rack Plugin into Logic's MIDIfx slot, add Europa, and then a midi out module.
2. Connect CV OUT 1 to CV1 IN
3. In Europa's mod matrix set ENV1 as your source and CV1 OUT as the destination. The set the midi out device's CC output to 2.

eurplay.jpg
eurplay.jpg (247.48 KiB) Viewed 5542 times

In Alchemy, touch the filter cutoff dial to make it active in Alchemy's modulation section. Click the first modulation source and select MIDI CC #2.

alchcc.png
alchcc.png (69.45 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
Now set the depth/amount levels on Alchemy and Europa to taste.

alchCC.gif
alchCC.gif (71.39 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2020

And in case it isn't obvious, you can chain multiple Reason Players and Logic Midifx (using the 'Learn Plugin Parameter' function) to simultaneously modulate multiple parameters on Alchemy (or any other synth):

multimod.gif
multimod.gif (235.32 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2020

HOW TO MOVE THE TRANSPORT TO THE BOTTOM, JUST LIKE IN REASON

Quick tip.

1. So Logic normally looks like this
2. We're going top hide the transport by moving our pointer to the dividing line between the transport and the toolbar.
3. And then when it turns into this icon:

transportarrow.jpg
transportarrow.jpg (263.15 KiB) Viewed 5512 times

Click-hold and drag the line up:
transportup.gif
transportup.gif (111.55 KiB) Viewed 5512 times

Then in Logic's toolbar go to Window/Open Transport Float.

Then position it like this:

transportbottom.jpg
transportbottom.jpg (395.92 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MannequinRaces

07 Mar 2020

I haven't touched Logic since Logic Express 7 but man.... oh boy, this thread is making me want to give it a spin! Really great info in here! Thanks hurricane!

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
07 Mar 2020
I haven't touched Logic since Logic Express 7 but man.... oh boy, this thread is making me want to give it a spin! Really great info in here! Thanks hurricane!
YW!

The Logic + RRP combo is really great and once you get used to the two working together you'll feel right at home.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

tronam

30 Mar 2020

Thanks for the fantastic tips thread; much appreciated.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

Some music making got in the way of these Logic tips, but now we can resume. :mrgreen:

I don't know about you, but I like using one-shot drum samples. If you do too, then you might be tired of having to drag-copy your samples in bits and pieces. In Reason, you can at least join the samples to create one block, making drag-copy a little more convenient. Logic has something similar, and it's even a little faster.

All you have to do is highlight your samples, right click, and go to Folder/Pack folder:

pack folder.png
pack folder.png (209.64 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
This is similar to Reason's join, in that you get one block to work with:
oneblock.png
oneblock.png (25.71 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
The 'fast' part comes next, where instead of drag-copying the block, you can simply use Logic's loop function (move the mouse to the upper right-hand corner of a region till you see the ]Q symbol) to loop-drag the block, Acid-style:
drag.png
drag.png (30.91 KiB) Viewed 3982 times

I prefer using a folder because it is non-destructive, and any changes you make to the original samples get applied to the looped blocks.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Robert Wade

27 Apr 2020

This is like a pool of information here.

Yonatan

28 May 2020

So does Reason Rack Plugin still works well in Logic Pro X 10.5?

ksniod

28 May 2020

Yesterday I tried replacing a synth (Europa or Complex) in the rack with a preset combinator (by drag-droping) but was unable to do so.
It didn't display any error message, the previous synth disapeared in the rack but no combinator appeared instead.
I don't know if it's me or a real problem with RRP in Logic, i just tried a couple of times with different combinator presets (it was working when replacing with a synth preset).
I'll try again when i'm back on my Mac.

jam-s

28 May 2020

ksniod wrote:
28 May 2020
Yesterday I tried replacing a synth (Europa or Complex) in the rack with a preset combinator (by drag-droping) but was unable to do so.
It didn't display any error message, the previous synth disapeared in the rack but no combinator appeared instead.
I don't know if it's me or a real problem with RRP in Logic, i just tried a couple of times with different combinator presets (it was working when replacing with a synth preset).
If that synth you tried to replace was inside of a combinator it would explain the behaviour you saw as combinators cannot be nested.

ksniod

28 May 2020

jam-s wrote:
28 May 2020
ksniod wrote:
28 May 2020
If that synth you tried to replace was inside of a combinator it would explain the behaviour you saw as combinators cannot be nested.
Well I didn't want to nest a combinator, just replace a synth (Europa) with a combinator from a refill.
It seems to me that it's something I do regularly in Reason (Daw) with no trouble.
I'll try again and see if it's still the same (and in other daws)

teddymcw

29 Jan 2021

This is legendary btw. Thank you.

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2021

Thanks. I'm going to start these up again. Stay tuned!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

jwd606

29 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Thanks. I'm going to start these up again. Stay tuned!
Excellent.

Alrek

26 Mar 2021

Is it possible to assign two (ore more) pads in the Drum Machine Designer to a single instrument like a RRP for instance?

My goal is to manage all my drums within the Drum Machine Designer. However in some cases a single instrument can host two ore more elements (like the kick and a snare from Kong).

How can I assign pad A triggered by note C1 to a RRP XY while pad B is triggered by note C#1 in the same RRP?

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

AUTOMATION CURVES

Thanks to my recent upgrade to R11, I'm going to show you how Logic has been doing all the "new" features in R11. First up is automation curves.

First thing is to hit "A" on your keyboard to switch to the automation view in Logic's arrange page. Once you select the parameter you wish to automate, you'll see a solid yellow line which you can then divide with the pointer according to the way you want to automate this parameter:

1 autocurves.jpg
1 autocurves.jpg (31.09 KiB) Viewed 2466 times

In my case, I'm automating the VOLUME parameter to go from 0.0db down to 24-27 DBs. Notice that by default, the automation consists of straight lines:

2 autocurves.jpg
2 autocurves.jpg (38.85 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
What you want to do now is switch to the AUTOMATION CURVE TOOL by hitting "T" then "W".

Now using this pointer, select the section you wish to curve (it should turn white), then by either moving/dragging the pointer up/down or left/right, you should get a variety of curves:

34 autocurves.jpg
34 autocurves.jpg (69.09 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

You can either do all your automation in the arrange section, or you can get a bigger and clearer view in the piano roll:

autoview.jpg
autoview.jpg (119.68 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Creativemind

19 May 2021

In Reaper you can drag audio samples from the media browser to any of Reasons audio loading devices, ReDrum, Kong etc too but not from the arranger (sequencer), can you in Logic?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

You can drag audio from Logic's media browser to any of the audio loading devices in the RRP.

If you want to load any audio in Logic's arrange page to a Reason device, while you cannot simply grab the audio from a track and load it, you can grab it from Logic's Project browser. Any audio on the arrange page gets automatically loaded and cataloged in Logic's project browser. You can then grab and drag any of this audio to any RRP device that accepts audio:

loadaudio.jpeg
loadaudio.jpeg (157.29 KiB) Viewed 2450 times

Very handy when you want to load any bounced audio to a RRP device.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

QVprod

19 May 2021

Super late to noticing this thread. Good stuff hurricane!

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

DRAWING MULTIPLE MIDI NOTES

This works similar to Reason, in that you use the pencil tool to draw notes, however, there is no need to switch Pencil modes in Logic because you can switch between single/multiple midi notes in Logic with a simple hold of the SHIFT button.

Without holding shift, you get one long note. The first thing you see in this gif is me switching to the Pencil tool by hitting "T" then "P":

midi draw one.gif
midi draw one.gif (636.32 KiB) Viewed 2436 times

If you want to draw multiple midi notes, simply hold SHIFT while you draw:

midi draw multi.gif
midi draw multi.gif (623.64 KiB) Viewed 2436 times

Then hit "T" then "T" again to switch back to the normal pointer.

Get these little shortcuts down and you'll be doing this stuff super fast.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

MUTING MIDI NOTES

This can be done a few ways, but here are the 2 ways I do it:

First way is to use the mute tool by hitting "T" then "M". Then with this pointer click on the notes you wish to mute or unmute:

mute notes.gif
mute notes.gif (650.45 KiB) Viewed 2432 times

You can also modify Logic's key commands to make this even quicker. What I like to do is have the "M" key be the muter. This requires you to go into Logic's key commands and re-map the shortcut. Now you can just select whatever (a region, a midi note, etc) and then simply hit "M" to mute.

keycommandmute.png
keycommandmute.png (13.03 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

CROSSFADES

I'll show you the super fast way to do this, then I'll go into more detail later.

First thing you want to do is make sure you have the "drag" setting up in Logic's toolbar to 'x-fade':
xfade.png
xfade.png (31.09 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Now simply drag one audio file onto another and Logic will do the crossfading for you.

crossfade.gif
crossfade.gif (921.98 KiB) Viewed 2430 times

How's that for quick and easy?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

19 May 2021

I do wish that Reason had the drag option approach so that it could also have the "no overlap" option. That would also make the crossfade more intuitive and bring it to the forefront.

Aside from how crossfade is assigned, it works pretty quickly in Reason by pressing 'x'. Many people using Reason still think they need to highlight both clips they want to crossfade, but in Reason the crossfade only needs to be assigned to the clip on the right (as the crossfade only occurs on the left side of the clip).

For drawing multiple notes in Reason, you can hold Option to switch pencil tools.
Or you can leave it on the pointer tool and you can press Command to switch to the pencil tool. And by combining them (Command+Option), you can switch to the multi note pencil from the pointer.

• Information