New Sampler Thread

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BRIGGS

19 May 2021

Besides Grain, and the Umpfs... I'm so used to Reason's older samplers. What kind of features should a modern sampler have? :puf_smile:
r11s

joeyluck

19 May 2021

I really want any sampler in Reason where I can assign legato samples. Not sure this will offer that.

Being able to assign a single sample, pitched across the keyboard, but also using stretch to maintain timing would be simple, but useful.

raymondh

19 May 2021

I'd like my modern sampler to have retro features :) Like vintage filter models, and classic sampler DAC emulations (like TAL Sampler).

some modern features could be:

Also great interoperability with the host DAW, like dragging an audio clip from a track and dropping it into the sampler. Not sure how that would work with RRP but if they're really serious about RRP .... :)

"AI" ( i.e really clever) sample looping, and maybe audio manipulation to create seamless loops. (understanding grain has some clever concepts there already)

BRIGGS

19 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 May 2021
I really want any sampler in Reason where I can assign legato samples. Not sure this will offer that.

Being able to assign a single sample, pitched across the keyboard, but also using stretch to maintain timing would be simple, but useful.
For legato...wouldn't two samples work? One for the initial attack, and one minus the transient, to overlap with itself for the duration of the legato line?

Yeah, having the sound get shorter as the pitch goes up, is annoying.
r11s

jam-s

19 May 2021

I think people basically just want to have Kontakt (disc streaming, scripting, custom UI, etc.) re-implemented by RS when they talk about a modern sampler to be included (for free) in Reason.
But, of course, that's only one half of the picture, as it would not help that much to get a complex sampler device like this into the rack without the ability to load the vast amount of in depth sample libraries made for the Kontakt platform.

bangaio

19 May 2021

A waveform editor in the actual sampler and not stuck in some awful f8 floating window of doom, draggable loop points, different time stretch/warp modes whatever you want to call them, built in slicing, auto sampling as in Logic, sampling in the actual sampler, TAL sampler DAC models, different play modes like sampler in iOS.

Creativemind

19 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 May 2021

I'll second your second one. It's what I was gonna say.

Also a built in sample editor, especially one that'll work in the RRP is what I've got my ffingers and toes crossed for.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

19 May 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
19 May 2021
joeyluck wrote:
19 May 2021

For legato...wouldn't two samples work? One for the initial attack, and one minus the transient, to overlap with itself for the duration of the legato line?

Yeah, having the sound get shorter as the pitch goes up, is annoying.
Not to mention sounding like a chipmunk in the higher octaves.

Creativemind

19 May 2021

bangaio wrote:
19 May 2021
A waveform editor in the actual sampler and not stuck in some awful f8 floating window of doom, draggable loop points, different time stretch/warp modes whatever you want to call them, built in slicing, auto sampling as in Logic, sampling in the actual sampler, TAL sampler DAC models, different play modes like sampler in iOS.
Different play modes?

dioxide

19 May 2021

I'm hoping for a 'flavour' sampler, so some options for timestretching and old school style bit reduction etc. Preferably with a way to lock a loop to tempo also as I use Grain a lot for this, and using Grain to do this is overkill. Also better automation / control of sample start, pehaps using markers like in a REX file.

EdGrip

19 May 2021

First of all, great and playful chopping and Rex creation, including sensitivity controls etc.
Some good filters, and the pitch & time algorithms already mentioned.
Big clear waveform display with start/loop/end controls. (Push is so fast for this in Ableton, with dedicated knobs for zooming in and moving the markers).
Some basic ADC/DAC modelling would be nice, beyond a simple bitcrusher effect in the FX section.
I think it's daft to try to make it be Kontakt. Anybody interested in big libraries has Kontakt.

Would be great to drag a sample in, then hit a key (or key range) to assign the sample to. "Key learn". Drag in the next sample, rinse and repeat. Takes me ages to do this in TAL and it's so fiddly.

LFOs and the standard graphic MSEG for internal modulation. Maybe a good quick internal resampling workflow would make sense. I suspect we'll see an updated Kong-like setup for pad-based MPC style work - retriggers, choke groups, maybe some separate outs.
It would be fun if it could sample other tracks, or the master, without spending ages with spiders and cables.

But RS are good at creative devices that go deceptively deep. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with, what makes it uniquely RS, and how it relates to Grain.

zoidkirb

19 May 2021

Slice by beat (not just by transient) and a few different time stretch algorithms will get it into Abletons Simpler territory.
I hope they make every single parameter automate-able, to make it a really creative sampler.
Besides that, I'd like a really fast/streamlined way to get the audio in and out of it.
Last edited by zoidkirb on 19 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

Something like simpler in Live, but with a Reason twist!

EdGrip

19 May 2021

Auto-sampling of other instruments via MIDI, like DirectWave? ;) I doubt it.

sdst
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

modern sampler have realtime pitch edit

like the pitch edit in reason but in real time

where you can speed up samples without sounding like a cassette

that's what I miss the most in the nnxt

Barriott

19 May 2021

I'm super excited about the new sampler.

I wonder if they'd make a mini version of it to put into Kong.

strange_scenery

19 May 2021

EdGrip wrote:
19 May 2021
It would be fun if it could sample other tracks, or the master, without spending ages with spiders and cables.
In the blog post it mentions being able to sample an export of the current track, so it looks like you might get your wish.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

19 May 2021

It would be cool of the new sampler could sample audio from other open apps, like if youre watching Youtube.

Jackjackdaw

20 May 2021

Modulatable start and end points. The only sampler I have that can do that is CMI V which is great but getting samples into to it is a pain.

dan_g

20 May 2021

i'm hoping to get a nice internal sample editor this way. the rudimentary editor we have now is not very powerfull.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 May 2021

I hope if you drag a sample from the browser into the Rack, this New Sampler will automatically be created.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

scotward57

20 May 2021

What I've always wanted in any sampler is the ability to create independent non-linear chunks. Of course any of this is possible with the sequencer, midi slice triggering, etc. But it would be cool to see it all in one drive non-destructively.

AnotherMathias

20 May 2021

I'm a big fan of the ancient NN-XT. It's actually my favorite sampler for multisampled instrument creation, out of 5-6 that I've tried my best to like better, including Kontakt and Logic Sampler. I seem to spend 75% of my time in Reason in NN-XT. I've ported most of the Logic sample library to it, and am currently halfway through the gargantuan last of porting (almost) the whole Emulator II and UoS library.

So while I'm excited about the prospect of a new sampler, I'm afraid that this new one won't be geared at people like me. I use samplers in the old-fashioned way, making playable keyboard instruments that typically uses about 5-100 samples.
I've never sliced a beat in my life (although I've sliced a lot of beets). No stretching or mangling, but a lot of filter envelopes, velocity crossfades, modulation wheel routings, etc.

NN-XT is incredibly clever at most of those things, but it's clearly very old. My hope is that the new sampler will pick up where NN-XT left off, improving the workflow primarily in areas like key mapping and groups, as well as adding some basics like realtime crossfade loops.

I'm suspecting that what we'll actually get is the opposite of these things, aimed at "modern" beat creation. But if that's the case, will they still rely on the ancient NN-XT for all those times where you need a Clavinet, or an oboe, or a Memorymoog?

Could they possibly manage to create a sampler device that pleases both camps?

If they DO make a powerful instrument sampler, this could be used together with a highly customizable Combinator 2 as a front end UI to make near-Kontakt levels of advanced sampler instruments (and it would be a whole lot less fiddly). This could be great for creating professional content for people who are getting tired of the Kontakt monopoly, and could be a real selling point for the Reason Rack.

Worst case scenario, I'll just keep using NN-XT.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

20 May 2021

I’d love full modulation of sample start and end, time-stretching and auto-layering of zones by velocity. For example, I’d love to load 128 samples into the sampler and automatically create velocity layers to randomly play different samples based on incoming velocity.

esselfortium

20 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 May 2021
There are so many different and incompatible ways of recording and implementing legato, and so many intricacies of setting it up that would need to be exposed to instrument developers. The only way to properly do this would be to implement scripting in the sampler itself, which I doubt is part of the plan for this sampler. That's what REs are for. (Though an open sampler with scripting in Reason would be fun!)
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

• Information