Delay compensation acting strange in recent updates

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
linusminus

17 May 2021

I recently updated from 11.3.4 to 11.3.9 and suddenly all my vocal recordings started getting misaligned. It seems like both the delay compensation and buffer size affects the placement of audio recordings now, which didn't use to be the case. I've done tests before and concluded that my vocals will arrive on time no matter the delay compensation or buffer size. That, however, doesn't seem to be the case in 11.3.9. I quickly reverted back to 11.3.4 and everything works again. I also downloaded 11.3.5 to see if the problem appears there as well, which it does, so it might've been introduced with that version.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Maybe it's a bug that appears sporadically and not dependent on version. I'm glad it works again after reverting to 11.3.4.
Last edited by linusminus on 17 May 2021, edited 2 times in total.

earwig83

17 May 2021

yeah I'd like to hear about this from others as well. I remember turning it on and finding everything shifts in ways I don't like. Maybe I don't understand when I am supposed to turn it on and off? How does it work exactly?

Jackjackdaw

17 May 2021

In this case, reading the manual is worth it. It's a surprisingly well written and enlightening chapter!

linusminus

17 May 2021

Oh, I meant off as in acting strange, sorry! Read my post and you’ll understand. I’ve made music full-time in Reason for years and know what everything’s supposed to do :thumbup: Something’s definitely up. I haven’t had to realign recordings up until when I updated to 11.3.9 yesterday, and suddenly everything I recorded was way off.
Last edited by linusminus on 17 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

linusminus

17 May 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
17 May 2021
In this case, reading the manual is worth it. It's a surprisingly well written and enlightening chapter!
This is in regards to when delay compensation is turned on (as well as the audio buffer). The audio track being recorded used to align correctly no matter the added delay—both from the compensation and buffer—but it doesn’t anymore. I’ve compared 11.3.9 and 11.3.4. In the recent version the recorded audio track gets misaligned by “audio buffer + delay compensation” it seems, while it used to take those into consideration when positioned.

riemac

17 May 2021

Please open a ticket with Reason support.

linusminus

17 May 2021

riemac wrote:
17 May 2021
Please open a ticket with Reason support.
Did so! I wanted to see if someone else has experienced it too because it seems to big of an issue not to have been talked about.

linusminus

17 May 2021

earwig83 wrote:
17 May 2021
yeah I'd like to hear about this from others as well. I remember turning it on and finding everything shifts in ways I don't like. Maybe I don't understand when I am supposed to turn it on and off? How does it work exactly?
That’s something different! It has to do with some plugins needing to “look ahead” of time to work properly. Reason solves this by delaying EVERYTHING accordingly. When you turn delay compensation off, the tracks with delay-inducing effects will appear later than everything else.

linusminus

18 May 2021

I recorded a video. There’s nothing on the master channel and the plug-in introducing delay is FabFilter Pro-L 2 and it’s added to the the NN-XT device. The audio track I’m recording to has nothing added to it.

earwig83

21 May 2021

linusminus wrote:
17 May 2021
earwig83 wrote:
17 May 2021
That’s something different! It has to do with some plugins needing to “look ahead” of time to work properly. Reason solves this by delaying EVERYTHING accordingly. When you turn delay compensation off, the tracks with delay-inducing effects will appear later than everything else.
thanks for the info! Does that mean that once I turn it on for a song, that I must keep it on?

linusminus

22 May 2021

earwig83 wrote:
21 May 2021
linusminus wrote:
17 May 2021

thanks for the info! Does that mean that once I turn it on for a song, that I must keep it on?
You don't have to! If you need to record parts and such you could turn it off temporarily. But for everything else I'd keep it on or things would just sound odd!

• Information