Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
owlymane

17 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021
owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021

I don’t use RRP I don’t see the point of that. Much more established plugin companies have the plugins I need and are on par with modern technologies. The Reason plugin never excited me I was a fully Reason DAW user ever since 11 I dropped it.
So if you're not being a fan of the Reason Studios way, and you like some other DAW more of, you still want to turn the whole Reason concept upside down?
Not sure I’m following. I don’t want to turn anything upside down. All I’m saying is that this release is not targeted to the people who want a sequencer and mixer update like myself

QVprod

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021

I’m just not Reason’s target market anymore. I look for an all-in-one DAW solution. Reason Studios is the Mac of DAWs/Plugins that wants you to be part of their ecosystem. I enjoy the freedom of being an artist. If I want to use VST3, I can. If I want a clean and advanced sequencer, I have one without begging for one for years until they decide to do it half-way.

I thought R12 was going to surprise us with some sequencer improvements, video editing integration, better connectivity with the market’s best keyboards. Anything to please the loyal customers that have been asking for those for years. Instead, a sampler, a comb 2.0 and a halfway improved Browser topped with 4K. That’s it.
To be fair, in order of seniority of feature requests, these additions they mentioned outrank most as far as things loyal customers have been asking for over the years.

That aside, seems you’re looking for Reason to be more competitive with say Studio One in the DAW function aspect. I’d honestly be surprised if that ever happened. Multi-DAW user here too ✋🏾. And none of them do everything I want to make me exclusive to one of them.

esselfortium

17 May 2021

So you're using another DAW, and you're not even using RRP?

I have to say, posting complaints on obscure forums about software you don't even use sounds like a real waste of time. If you're looking for easy workflow improvements, there's a quick tip!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Mike B

17 May 2021

I’ve said it and I’ll say it again. Reason is a plugin first, a basic DAW second ;)

txh003

17 May 2021

Tinnitus wrote:
17 May 2021
txh003 wrote:
17 May 2021
As planned for several years, I finally will upgrade from Reason 7 when version 12 is released. Reason has come a long way, and I am happy with its progress. Most, if not all, of my primary issues with the software have been addressed.

I look forward to reinstalling Reason on my hard drive in September, and discovering new uses for it in the future. Good job!
Why not upgrade to 11 now and then get 12 free on its release?
No urgent need. I have not used Reason in quite some time, and have other DAW-less, my primary workflow these days, and DAW options available.

Cancel my previous comment. I did not realize that Reason is presently on sale with the upgrade path to version 12 :o . With that said, I purchased the upgrade to Reason 11, but will wait until version 12 is released for installation.
Last edited by txh003 on 17 May 2021, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Heigen5

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021

So if you're not being a fan of the Reason Studios way, and you like some other DAW more of, you still want to turn the whole Reason concept upside down?
Not sure I’m following. I don’t want to turn anything upside down. All I’m saying is that this release is not targeted to the people who want a sequencer and mixer update like myself
Out of curiosity: Could you could make a list of the sequencer's missing ideas then?

bxbrkrz

17 May 2021

Hmmm.

Powerful new sampler + powerful new combinator + R+ sample packs minted for both of them = mini Kontakt killer dude for $20/month?

I say "mini" only because a sampler with streaming audio from SSD would make it Mega :puf_smile:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

owlymane

17 May 2021

esselfortium wrote:
17 May 2021

I have to say, posting complaints on obscure forums about software you don't even use sounds like a real waste of time. If you're looking for easy workflow improvements, there's a quick tip!
You know, it’s OK to have different opinions on a forum. And it’s OK for someone to state what they dislike in a major release. And I didn’t really ask for workflow improvement tips from you. You’re really the one wasting time replying to me without really knowing what you’re talking about.

I never said I don’t use Reason as a DAW anymore, I don’t use RRP in another DAW is what I said.

Don’t worry about me. You enjoy the new Reason announcement while I’m here freely sharing my opinion with the ones interested :)

arnigretar

17 May 2021

you had me at new sampler, hi-res and combinator. looking forward :clap:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

owlymane

17 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021
owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021

Out of curiosity: Could you could make a list of the sequencer's missing ideas then?
I’m the one who made the Reason 12 Wishlist on the forum btw, the day of the R11 announcement :)

Anw, some of the major sequencer wishlist:

- channel grouping
- punch in / punch out
- more fluid piano roll (the double-click to add a note is annoying, also the pen and eraser tool should be part of the same tool)
- a scale inside the piano roll
- more options than just velocity below the piano roll (filter, pan are welcome)
- Options to strum and arpegiate notes in the piano roll
- Options to slide and glide a note in the piano roll
- drag and drop wav samples from the browser directly to inside the Redrum channel in the sequencer (Redrum was just an example, to all instruments this is welcome)
- Be able to edit automation the “Transpose” tool in the sequencer.
- There’s something in Ableton which I forgot the name, but basically it’s an option you tick to be able to play a midi note even if you play it in the middle, instead of having to stop and play it back from the start of the midi note to hear it.
- A smarter Looping system, loop in the sequencer when you reach the last midi box

These are at the top of my head but I’m sure many friends in the forum will fill what I’ve missed.

Shadoww

17 May 2021

:clap: This sounds awesome! New sampler and upgraded Combinator so cool. And in 4K. Love all the detailed communication too - really looking forward to the upcoming video demos. Can’t wait for Sep 1st now :puf_smile:

owlymane

17 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
17 May 2021
owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021

I’m just not Reason’s target market anymore. I look for an all-in-one DAW solution. Reason Studios is the Mac of DAWs/Plugins that wants you to be part of their ecosystem. I enjoy the freedom of being an artist. If I want to use VST3, I can. If I want a clean and advanced sequencer, I have one without begging for one for years until they decide to do it half-way.

I thought R12 was going to surprise us with some sequencer improvements, video editing integration, better connectivity with the market’s best keyboards. Anything to please the loyal customers that have been asking for those for years. Instead, a sampler, a comb 2.0 and a halfway improved Browser topped with 4K. That’s it.
To be fair, in order of seniority of feature requests, these additions they mentioned outrank most as far as things loyal customers have been asking for over the years.

That aside, seems you’re looking for Reason to be more competitive with say Studio One in the DAW function aspect. I’d honestly be surprised if that ever happened. Multi-DAW user here too ✋🏾. And none of them do everything I want to make me exclusive to one of them.
Yes I’m glad these features are finally available of course. I feel the same way and yes you get my point. I say this because I love Reason and want it to shine like the good old days. But this is just my dream because it’s pretty obvious this is not their objective.

Heigen5

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021

I’m the one who made the Reason 12 Wishlist on the forum btw, the day of the R11 announcement :)

- channel grouping
- punch in / punch out
- more fluid piano roll (the double-click to add a note is annoying, also the pen and eraser tool should be part of the same tool)
- more options than just velocity below the piano roll (filter, pan are welcome)
- drag and drop wav samples from the browser directly to inside the Redrum channel in the sequencer (Redrum was just an example, to all instruments this is welcome)
- There’s something in Ableton which I forgot the name, but basically it’s an option you tick to be able to play a midi note even if you play it in the middle, instead of having to stop and play it back from the start of the midi note to hear it.
- A smarter Looping system, loop in the sequencer when you reach the last midi box

These are at the top of my head but I’m sure many friends in the forum will fill what I’ve missed.
I actually agree on some of these, and also would like a "midi-follow" so identical midi clips would follow, when you want them to - while editing midi.

helmutson

17 May 2021

Come on, now give us some more detailed infos about these new devices... it's not the kind of announcement (for a major update) I know from you guys in the past ! Where are all the bells and whistles ? ;)

Shadoww

17 May 2021

helmutson wrote:
17 May 2021
Come on, now give us some more detailed infos about these new devices... it's not the kind of announcement (for a major update) I know from you guys in the past ! Where are all the bells and whistles ? ;)
I can’t imagine they will do a big R12 launch thingy. From the teaser video dropped today, it would seem Ryan will announce the enhancements when they get released in Reason+ first. This will probably be a series of Reason+ Addons leading up to September 1st. Then when they done with that cycle of promo/release for Reason+ THEN they’ll quietly drop R12 for those of us who want to buy and not go with a subscription. The focus will always be on Reason+ first and foremost.
Last edited by Shadoww on 17 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

17 May 2021

esselfortium wrote:
17 May 2021

IMO, if they like a lot of Reason’s features, but can’t get on board yet because of other missing features, their opinions should still be taken into account.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

QVprod

17 May 2021

helmutson wrote:
17 May 2021
It’s 4 months away... more in time I’m sure

arqui

17 May 2021

I am very happy that Reason continues to improve, I have been a Reason user since almost its beginnings, and now also of Studio One 5. These new features still do not seduce me to pay for an update, but there is still time for September 1, we will see what more there is under the hood, and if they inform us (something that they had never done before in the past).
I want Reason to grow and be the best DAW, because I have a special affection, but I'm a realist, it's far from it.
Regards
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Shadoww

17 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
17 May 2021
helmutson wrote:
17 May 2021
It’s 4 months away... more in time I’m sure
Yes, but we should all watch very carefully how they rollout Reason 12 during the next 4 months....this rollout of new features will give us a clear indication of what their future plans are. As always the devil is in the detail. :twisted:

owlymane

17 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021
owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021

- channel grouping
- punch in / punch out

I actually agree on some of these, and also would like a "midi-follow" so identical midi clips would follow, when you want them to - while editing midi.
👍🏻

Also I just remembered the Ableton Midi option is called Midi Chase

Heigen5

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Also I just remembered the Ableton Midi option is called Midi Chase
Yup, I forgot, but yeah, that would be a "midi-chase" indeed.

mravdirato

17 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
17 May 2021
The announcement is only talking about marquee features. They’re listing the more exciting ones (to most people I’d assume)

Could you imagine them pushing VST3 support as one of the very few things they’ve listed? Not extremely exciting compared to a new customizable Combinator. Now it could very well not be included, but September is some ways away.

One takeaway here though is they have definitely changed their approach. A new version announcement 4 months ahead of release? A progress update to say “this is what we’re working on”? Unheard of! People wanted more open communication and here it is... Maybe that should’ve been added to the feature list 🤔
THIS!

a 3-month preview of what they're working on is unheard of in Propellerhead/Reason Studios' history. This is a new format of introducing the new version that I welcome. I repeat whiners and mopers, THESE ARE THE COMMUNITY FEEDBACK FEATURES and they're highlighting it for them. That doesn't stop there. There will be more features that they will roll out in 3 months. LET'S. WAIT. FOR. IT. AND. STOP. JUMPING. TO. CONCLUSIONS.

ayayay people are hard to please nowadays, couple it with more guys with 0 percent chill. sheesh.

Shadoww

17 May 2021

Is it just me or is the ‘12’ on the Reason 12 logo.. a little bit too small? Maybe over time it will get smaller and smaller and it will end up looking like a + ?
Attachments
81084D79-5E5C-43E6-9300-C79F142F42B7.jpeg
81084D79-5E5C-43E6-9300-C79F142F42B7.jpeg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 4931 times

Kalm

17 May 2021

As long as features are rolling in that’s necessary I don’t mind. Just as long as ones asked for are delivered and THESE were FEVERENTLY & LITERALLY asked for. Let the point updates roll through as well. We all know Props don’t put everything in a major update for a complete version. Usually by .5 or .8 updates the major version is matured.

But this combi and sampler got me 👀
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Heater

17 May 2021

Hi folks. Any word on Track Freeze?

• Information