Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deeplink
Competition Winner

17 May 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
17 May 2021
Long time ago, I started discussion about MAJOR problems with Reason workflow. My aim was to provide useful and important feedback for company, but it seems that these critical issues are definitely not important for Reason Studios and they will never be fixed...

1) SEQUENCER: WRONG SCROLL BEHAVIOUR => viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514067&p=466776
2) DISABLE BROWSER 'S AUTO DEFOCUS => viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510597
3) REMOVE NOTE ARROWS => viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7509926
4) AVOID LOGIN WINDOW => viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507992

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7512272&p=446846
I'm sure auto focus has been addressed? Are you on Reason 11?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Fraxis

17 May 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021
epoch wrote:
17 May 2021

Mattias, given OS X El Capitan is getting long in the tooth now, I was wondering if Reason 12 will still support it or if the macOS system requirement will be higher this time round?

Are you in a position to let us know at this point in development?
Yes, we'll bump the system requirements to macOS 10.13 and above and Windows 10 and above. This was a long time coming and it really helps development when we don't have support older, quite technically different systems. :)
But will we get proper M1 Mac compatibility though, please? Rosetta 2 is all very well, but using it diminishes the potential of the software on Apple Silicon. Frustrating to have a Mac that is capable of so much, only for it to have to operate at reduced power, so it can pretend to be something that's becoming obsolete. M1 development machines have been available since last August, so I think it's reasonable to expect a new full version release this September to be truly up-to-to-date with what will soon be the only type of Apple processors available. Don't you agree?

makke

17 May 2021

No midi chase? No sequencer love? Nothing that actually improve the workflow. Well, maybe the browser thing, but man, this is more like a 11.5 update. High rez is good but damn, disappointing. Again.

sdst
Competition Winner

17 May 2021

High resolution, New sampler and Combinator

and it's not april

it's almost a dream

lowtom

17 May 2021

Finally Combinator gets proper treatment :clap:
Fraxis wrote:
17 May 2021
(...) M1 development machines have been available since last August, so I think it's reasonable to expect a new full version release this September to be truly up-to-to-date with what will soon be the only type of Apple processors available. Don't you agree?
I would not count on this to be high priority as there are not enough users on M1 for now.
Just compare when Apple introduced Retina displays vs. when RS are adding high resolution graphics. It's dynamics of new hardware adoption.
:reason: :refill: :re:

Lotuz2019

17 May 2021

The RRP still won't be able to load VST plugins? Just imagine how powerful the RRP would become, especially together with the new Combinator.

dusan.cani

17 May 2021

deeplink wrote:
17 May 2021
dusan.cani wrote:
17 May 2021
Long time ago, I started discussion about MAJOR problems with Reason workflow. My aim was to provide useful and important feedback for company, but it seems that these critical issues are definitely not important for Reason Studios and they will never be fixed...

1) SEQUENCER: WRONG SCROLL BEHAVIOUR => viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514067&p=466776
2) DISABLE BROWSER 'S AUTO DEFOCUS => viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510597
3) REMOVE NOTE ARROWS => viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7509926
4) AVOID LOGIN WINDOW => viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507992

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7512272&p=446846
I'm sure auto focus has been addressed? Are you on Reason 11?

It's not fixed.

challism

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Uhm ... so the new version of Reason:

- A new instrument
- An updated instrument
- Only search function updated to browser

And that’s it ...

≠ No sequencer updates
≠ No VST3
≠ No shortcuts
≠ No new themes
≠ No improved mixer
≠ No better integrations with modern keyboards such as novation.

Once again, another major update that should’ve been a point update.
A point upgrade? Puh-leeze!

You are hilarious, I'll give you a point update for that.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

deigm

17 May 2021

I'd love to see a long list of sequencer features as much as the next guy but what's on offer here is pretty great too.
For me, this warrants an upgrade from reason 10 :thumbup:

RoryM0

17 May 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
17 May 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021

Hey, I'm not sure, but it might still be the case, that you can upgrade your win 8 for free, I upgraded from win 7 myself: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7520154
Will take a look, thanks.
This totally worked by the way. On Windows 10 now, legit activated. Bring on R12.

Krell

17 May 2021

Fraxis wrote:
17 May 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021

Yes, we'll bump the system requirements to macOS 10.13 and above and Windows 10 and above. This was a long time coming and it really helps development when we don't have support older, quite technically different systems. :)
M1 development machines have been available since last August, so I think it's reasonable to expect a new full version release this September to be truly up-to-to-date with what will soon be the only type of Apple processors available. Don't you agree?
Yep I agree.
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

owlymane

17 May 2021

challism wrote:
17 May 2021
owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Uhm ... so the new version of Reason:

- A new instrument
- An updated instrument
- Only search function updated to browser

And that’s it ...

≠ No sequencer updates
≠ No VST3
≠ No shortcuts
≠ No new themes
≠ No improved mixer
≠ No better integrations with modern keyboards such as novation.

Once again, another major update that should’ve been a point update.

Wow, this is enough for you to be a major update ?

I get it, some folks are easily impressed. I’m not one of them. Especially now that I’m using another DAW.

For me this is a plugin update, not a DAW update.

Heigen5

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
challism wrote:
17 May 2021

I get it, some folks are easily impressed. I’m not one of them. Especially now that I’m using another DAW.

If these features are not impressive for you, then you're probably not an old-timer for using Reason maybe?

Kategra

17 May 2021

Excellent news!

I'm on R10. If I now buy the R11 upgrade, I get R12 free on release?

EpiGenetik

17 May 2021

Can't wait to see the new Combinator stuff. If this is done right then this is, for me, the biggest and most important upgrade since v4.0.

Truly delighted to hear that there is a customizable element. Just got to wait and see how this will work :D

Super excited to see how this will pan out.

EpiGenetik

17 May 2021

Kategra wrote:
17 May 2021
Excellent news!

I'm on R10. If I now buy the R11 upgrade, I get R12 free on release?
Yes, this is already confirmed.

The video was titled:
"Reason 12 is in the works! - (and it will be yours if you get Reason 11 or Reason+ now)"

:D

plaamook

17 May 2021

Hmm...
No sequencer focus again.
Eh... new Sampler!!! Very rare round here. Last one was a real cause for celebration (It's doing an amazing...thing! even as I type)
Can't combine new (or old) combinator by the sound of it, so only half point on that one from me.
Well, if the sampler's a killer, and I don't melt over the summer (already 34c here), I'm prob in.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

QVprod

17 May 2021

The announcement is only talking about marquee features. They’re listing the more exciting ones (to most people I’d assume)

Could you imagine them pushing VST3 support as one of the very few things they’ve listed? Not extremely exciting compared to a new customizable Combinator. Now it could very well not be included, but September is some ways away.

One takeaway here though is they have definitely changed their approach. A new version announcement 4 months ahead of release? A progress update to say “this is what we’re working on”? Unheard of! People wanted more open communication and here it is... Maybe that should’ve been added to the feature list 🤔

owlymane

17 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021
owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021

If these features are not impressive for you, then you're probably not an old-timer for using Reason maybe?
I’m sure there are much older users than me. I’m 30 years old and been using Reason since version 4.

I understand the hype around the Combinator. I like the new features. I don’t mean to sound negative but this is not enough for me to be a major release.

I mean in all honesty, since when have we been asking for a new combinator, a new sampler, higher resolution ? For more than 5 years. These are not suppose to be all packed as the only features of an official 2021 major release.

From the look of it Reason is going for a plugin perspective. That’s cool. But as a DAW user I’m just not impressed. Where are the sequencer features ? Grouping channels, punch in/out, better piano roll, more shortcuts ? VST3 ?

By the time they group all those features we’ve been asking for (again for years) into one major release, other DAWs will still be way ahead.

A new sampler ? Ok cool. Now that I use another DAW I have tons of sampler VSTs that I can use. Better comb ? FL Studio has something called “Patcher” nobody seems to talk about.

I’m just not Reason’s target market anymore. I look for an all-in-one DAW solution. Reason Studios is the Mac of DAWs/Plugins that wants you to be part of their ecosystem. I enjoy the freedom of being an artist. If I want to use VST3, I can. If I want a clean and advanced sequencer, I have one without begging for one for years until they decide to do it half-way.

I thought R12 was going to surprise us with some sequencer improvements, video editing integration, better connectivity with the market’s best keyboards. Anything to please the loyal customers that have been asking for those for years. Instead, a sampler, a comb 2.0 and a halfway improved Browser topped with 4K. That’s it.

EpiGenetik

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Dude, that doesn't make sense. If you use Reason as part of another DAW via RRP then you have more reason than exclusive R-DAW users to be excited about this.

R303

17 May 2021

It will also take a while until September 1st.

txh003

17 May 2021

As planned for several years, I finally will upgrade from Reason 7 when version 12 is released. Reason has come a long way, and I am happy with its progress. Most, if not all, of my primary issues with the software have been addressed.

I look forward to reinstalling Reason on my hard drive in September, and discovering new uses for it in the future. Good job!
Last edited by txh003 on 17 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

owlymane

17 May 2021

EpiGenetik wrote:
17 May 2021
owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Dude, that doesn't make sense. If you use Reason as part of another DAW via RRP then you have more reason than exclusive R-DAW users to be excited about this.
I don’t use RRP I don’t see the point of that. Much more established plugin companies have the plugins I need and are on par with modern technologies. The Reason plugin never excited me I was a fully Reason DAW user ever since 11 I dropped it.

Tinnitus

17 May 2021

txh003 wrote:
17 May 2021
As planned for several years ago, I finally will upgrade from Reason 7 when version 12 is released. Reason has come a long way, and I am happy with its progress. Most, if not all, of my primary issues with the software have been addressed.

I look forward to reinstalling Reason on my hard drive in September, and discovering new uses for it in the future. Good job!
Why not upgrade to 11 now and then get 12 free on its release?

Heigen5

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
EpiGenetik wrote:
17 May 2021

I don’t use RRP I don’t see the point of that. Much more established plugin companies have the plugins I need and are on par with modern technologies. The Reason plugin never excited me I was a fully Reason DAW user ever since 11 I dropped it.
So if you're not being a fan of the Reason Studios way, and you like some other DAW more of, you still want to turn the whole Reason concept upside down?

• Information