PX7 - Removed from Shop?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Wavecademy

02 Feb 2021

From the blog on January 27: "We've also got Rack Extension releases planned. There's a brand new synth just about to enter beta that I think you'll love. Here's a hint: it'll make you miss PX7 way less. It will show up in Reason+ as soon as it's released (with exclusive Reason+ sound packs!), but also be available for purchase for non-subscribers." https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/what ... for-reason

BRIGGS

03 Feb 2021

r11s

challism

03 Feb 2021

Here's an interesting bit about DX7, at about 6:45 https://switchedonpop.com/episodes/the- ... -the-night
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

BRIGGS

03 Feb 2021

challism wrote:
03 Feb 2021
Here's an interesting bit about DX7, at about 6:45 https://switchedonpop.com/episodes/the- ... -the-night
Awesome! :-)
r11s

challism

03 Feb 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Feb 2021
challism wrote:
03 Feb 2021
Yeah, I thought that was an interesting episode.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Creativemind

03 Feb 2021

challism wrote:
03 Feb 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
03 Feb 2021

Yeah very interesting. Some of the sounds sound a bit cheesy on their own but not too bad in the full context of a song. Didn't think the Whitney or Queen examples were bad but that bass in the Kenny Loggins - Dangerzone wasn't great. Sounded a bit like the Lately Bass but chorussed. Lately Bass has always sounded great to me so was it a different preset, a slap bass preset?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

buddard
RE Developer

03 Feb 2021

Creativemind wrote:
03 Feb 2021
challism wrote:
03 Feb 2021

Yeah very interesting. Some of the sounds sound a bit cheesy on their own but not too bad in the full context of a song. Didn't think the Whitney or Queen examples were bad but that bass in the Kenny Loggins - Dangerzone wasn't great. Sounded a bit like the Lately Bass but chorussed. Lately Bass has always sounded great to me so was it a different preset, a slap bass preset?
Lately Bass is a preset on the Yamaha TX-81Z, which differs a bit from the DX7 (4 operators instead of 6, but with multiple waveforms instead of just sines).
The TX-81Z was the first synth I ever bought (back in the late 80’s), I still have it in my rack!
It’s not very fun or inspiring to program, though.

BRIGGS

03 Feb 2021

challism wrote:
03 Feb 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
03 Feb 2021

Digital AND Analog....FTW!!! :thumbs_up:

I love the DX sound!

r11s

Creativemind

03 Feb 2021

buddard wrote:
03 Feb 2021
Creativemind wrote:
03 Feb 2021

Lately Bass is a preset on the Yamaha TX-81Z, which differs a bit from the DX7 (4 operators instead of 6, but with multiple waveforms instead of just sines).
The TX-81Z was the first synth I ever bought (back in the late 80’s), I still have it in my rack!
Nice. :thumbs_up:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

nique

26 Feb 2021

Anyone own the latest FM synth by Reason Studios, Algoritm, and would post their thoughts in comparison to the PX7? Similarities, features.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /algoritm/

EnochLight

26 Feb 2021

nique wrote:
26 Feb 2021
Anyone own the latest FM synth by Reason Studios, Algoritm, and would post their thoughts in comparison to the PX7? Similarities, features.

They’re similar in that they are both are FM synths. But that’s pretty much all they have in common. If you want a stock Yamaha DX7 emulation, PX7 fits the bill. If you want a unique Propellerhead take on FM synthesis that melds modular wiring with a decent effects chain, then Algoirtm is your synth.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

LongFist

26 Feb 2021

nique wrote:
26 Feb 2021

I have Algoritm (R+) and PX7 and I need to say out front: Algrotim is NOT PX7, nor is it a PX7-like replacement.

Now, set your expectations a little differently: Algoritm is soooo much easier to use/abuse, and it inspires creativity the likes of which the "NASA Mission Control" interface of the PX7/DX7 never could! Using Algoritm teaches you by ear, and the more you learn, the more you do, the more fun it is to learn more/build even further! The interface is different, but provides the advantage of instant feedback on what you're trying/doing. And it's still new, so everybody is learning it all at the same time (for the moment - in a month this will change)!!!

Trial the new synth today, and see what you can do with it - it's just amazing! Easy to use, but conforms to the level of complexity (and nothing more) than what is needed to produce the sound you're after. Lots of room for trial and error, and lots of potential, loads of possibilities. Try it!!!

It's not PX7 by any stretch of the imagination, but depending on how you relate to it (and how it relates to you) it may just be better. It might just be better. Give it a try!
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

ekss
RE Developer

28 Feb 2021

buddard wrote:
03 Feb 2021
Creativemind wrote:
03 Feb 2021

Lately Bass was also in DX100 but there it was called "Solid Bass". Me and the beta testers of ES400 made a bunch patches trying to emulate it on the ES400, since it has a lot of it's architecture inspired by the DX100, like the specific ratio's, the key scaling of level/ratios, etc. The big difference of ES400 compared to DX100 is the envelopes, but for less complicated envelope shapes it's possible to get pretty close with some tweaking of the EG times and exponential/linear trimmers. Check out the bass folder for these patches; Accent Bass, Smooth Solid, Snap Solid, Sold Bass, Solidish Bass, Soweeden Bass, Stabil Bass. :geek:

joeyluck

28 Feb 2021

ekss wrote:
28 Feb 2021
buddard wrote:
03 Feb 2021

Lately Bass was also in DX100 but there it was called "Solid Bass". Me and the beta testers of ES400 made a bunch patches trying to emulate it on the ES400, since it has a lot of it's architecture inspired by the DX100, like the specific ratio's, the key scaling of level/ratios, etc. The big difference of ES400 compared to DX100 is the envelopes, but for less complicated envelope shapes it's possible to get pretty close with some tweaking of the EG times and exponential/linear trimmers. Check out the bass folder for these patches; Accent Bass, Smooth Solid, Snap Solid, Sold Bass, Solidish Bass, Soweeden Bass, Stabil Bass. :geek:
Heck yes! Can't have too many takes on the Lately/Solid Bass patch!

Speaking of, one of my patches that can be found in the Algoritm presets is called "Recently Bass" :-)

epoch

15 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Jan 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Sorry for not commenting on this sooner! We're super busy after the holidays and things moved quickly here.

PX7 was actually not developed in-house, similar to the A-List series, and we decided to discontinue it for licensing reasons. It'll continue to work for all of you that's bought it, of course. REs are designed to work forever for all owners, regardless of what happens with the product and developer. One of the very best features of the format, in my opinion! :)

To save you any speculations, other REs we've developed with a partner (like the amazing Robotic Bean and Lectric Panda) have different terms and there's no reason they'll ever be discontinued.

If you missed it but still want a DX7 sound, I can recommend the free, Open Source Dexed VST: https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/
I mentioned in another comment, but some of my favorite patches just don't sound the the same or as good on Dexed. So I would love to see PX7 make a comeback! Contrary to what some others have said, it is one of my favorite GUIs.

Also two of my favorite ReFills are for PX7; Neo DX by Nucleus Soundlab and Navi's PX7 ReFill. Would it be possible to make a converter the other direction? Converting PX7 device patches to use in other DX emulations? Then those ReFills could still have some life for new users.

Dexed also doesn't have the macro sliders which are incredibly handy. Even if RS made their own FM synth, I would hope it could also load DX/PX7 patches.
Did anyone ever work out if the PX7 code lives on in a VST anywhere? Given it wasn't actually Propellerhead's code from the sound of it?

I never did buy the PX7, but I have a number of printed tracks in songs from when I trialed it and in my efforts to recreate those sounds I just cannot seem to get the sounds reproduced to sound as good in anything else - they just don't sound as good as the PX7...

Anyone any ideas?

DaveyG

15 May 2021

epoch wrote:
15 May 2021
joeyluck wrote:
20 Jan 2021

I mentioned in another comment, but some of my favorite patches just don't sound the the same or as good on Dexed. So I would love to see PX7 make a comeback! Contrary to what some others have said, it is one of my favorite GUIs.

Also two of my favorite ReFills are for PX7; Neo DX by Nucleus Soundlab and Navi's PX7 ReFill. Would it be possible to make a converter the other direction? Converting PX7 device patches to use in other DX emulations? Then those ReFills could still have some life for new users.

Dexed also doesn't have the macro sliders which are incredibly handy. Even if RS made their own FM synth, I would hope it could also load DX/PX7 patches.
Did anyone ever work out if the PX7 code lives on in a VST anywhere? Given it wasn't actually Propellerhead's code from the sound of it?

I never did buy the PX7, but I have a number of printed tracks in songs from when I trialed it and in my efforts to recreate those sounds I just cannot seem to get the sounds reproduced to sound as good in anything else - they just don't sound as good as the PX7...

Anyone any ideas?
You won't get much closer to a DX7 than Dexed but for an alternative FM approach try FM8. There is probably still a free trial.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ynths/fm8/

Also, be aware that many of the "classic" FM synth sounds relied heavily on FX.

epoch

15 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
15 May 2021
epoch wrote:
15 May 2021

Anyone any ideas?
You won't get much closer to a DX7 than Dexed but for an alternative FM approach try FM8. There is probably still a free trial.

Already tried those and they don't sound the same as PX7. I was hoping, given PX7 was coded by a third party contractor, that its code has ended up in another product somewhere that I can still buy!

I missed out on the A-List Guitarist REs but have been able to get the UJAM Virtual Guitarist VSTs. I was hoping to do something equivalent for PX7 but I cannot find the exact same sounds in any of the other FM synthesizers I've tried...

Any other ideas?

joeyluck

15 May 2021

epoch wrote:
15 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
15 May 2021

Already tried those and they don't sound the same as PX7. I was hoping, given PX7 was coded by a third party contractor, that its code has ended up in another product somewhere that I can still buy!

I missed out on the A-List Guitarist REs but have been able to get the UJAM Virtual Guitarist VSTs. I was hoping to do something equivalent for PX7 but I cannot find the exact same sounds in any of the other FM synthesizers I've tried...

Any other ideas?
I agree, many of my favorite patches on PX7 simply don't sound the same or as good on Dexed.

What patches are you after?

DaveyG

15 May 2021

epoch wrote:
15 May 2021

Any other ideas?
There was nothing magical about the PX7 sounds but if it truly is the ultimate object of your desire then either:

1. Build a time machine and pop back to purchase it.

or

2. [REMOVED BY MOD]

epoch

16 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
15 May 2021
epoch wrote:
15 May 2021

Any other ideas?
I agree, many of my favorite patches on PX7 simply don't sound the same or as good on Dexed.

What patches are you after?
The DX7 factory sound banks are spot on in PX7, I can't get them to sound as good elsewhere.

I guess it's dead code then, unless someone from Reason Studios can shed some light on who they contracted to build it and we can then request that person/team directly to release a VST version of their fantastic DX7 emulation engine...
Last edited by epoch on 16 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 May 2021

A heads up would have been nice.

epoch

16 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
16 May 2021
A heads up would have been nice.
It's a fair point, perhaps sales were really low so they didn't think it would be missed if it just got yanked...

I just wish there was some documentation about who actually made this thing!!!

ab459

17 May 2021

+1 Yes would be interesting to know.
In addition, I assume that it does not carry something unique in the sound (as has been discussed many times, during PX7 lifecycle), but I still want to get PX7 anyway too. Even if just for collection.
Need say, most offensive thing that happened to me in the Reason area lol.

EDIT Ready to buy it for 100 bucks right now, props c'mon.

epoch

18 May 2021

ab459 wrote:
17 May 2021
In addition, I assume that it does not carry something unique in the sound (as has been discussed many times, during PX7 lifecycle), but I still want to get PX7 anyway too. Even if just for collection.

it's tough, it's gone. they won't let you buy it now. licensing.

I think it does have something unique in the sound personally. and it seems joeyluck thinks that way too....

ab459

20 May 2021

epoch wrote:
18 May 2021
ab459 wrote:
17 May 2021

it's tough, it's gone. they won't let you buy it now. licensing.

I think it does have something unique in the sound personally. and it seems joeyluck thinks that way too....
Yes, but if read PX7 topic in these days when it was available to buy, some people had not find anything special in his sound, and had ready to sell it for symbolic price (if they could) as they said.
I think that there will always be such an addiction that the unavailable will seem unique in sound.

The same thing happened with RE, white compressor from Cackewalk, that was removed from shop. Many users also wrote about this like we write about PX7 now. Ironically I have this cackewalk RE, received by accident I do not remember how. And honestly, I don't use it, and I don't find anything special. And I think many would gladly exchange it for their px7 license. I would be glad to do it too lol.

• Information