Yamaha Reface series- What?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
PhillipOrdonez

14 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
09 Jul 2015
Benedict wrote:It is all about being able to be carried around whilst wearing a hoodie, beard and headphones. Clearly a proper instrument would get tangled in those important proof-of-hipsterishness.

That said the CS does seem to sound nice.

:)
Indeed. I actually have my eye on the CP.
Did you ever get the CP? I am thinking about it, it does sound good!

joeyluck

14 May 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
14 May 2021
joeyluck wrote:
09 Jul 2015

Indeed. I actually have my eye on the CP.
No I never did. And that one costs $100 more than the others... I like mini keyboards, but I feel one focused on electric keys might benefit more from more/regular sized keys.

Auryn

14 May 2021

marcuswitt wrote:
08 Jul 2015
Are they serious? Is that the company Yamaha that once used to be known as one of the most innovative manufacturers of hardware based synthesizers and more? Not enough that they got nothing better to release on their 40th anniversary than a white colored special edition of their rompler Motif XF, which basically is a great sounding instrument, but from a company like Yamaha I'd expect something more progressive than a humble rompler. No, that's obviously not enough. Now, they're pumping reissues of their old stuff into the market in form of the so called Reface series? Holy smoke, that's a crazy world, isn't it? Do real innovations in the music industry come from small companies, nowadays?

All that makes me wonder again if we, as musicians, are far less innovative and much more conservative than we think? And is the release of products like the Reface series yet another representation of this conservative mindset? Hmm… I really don't know, especially because my knowledge and understanding about business analysis and product marketing is pretty limited.

What's your opinion about it?
I'm pretty sure that to your point about conservative musicians, you might be right. There are so many virtual analog synths these days that chiefly cater to (utterly misplaced) 80ies nostalgia. I always hope for more really innovative digital synths that embrace the future rather than looking to the past, but it's slim pickings compared to the oversaturated VA market
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

DaveyG

14 May 2021

Auryn wrote:
14 May 2021
marcuswitt wrote:
08 Jul 2015
Are they serious? Is that the company Yamaha that once used to be known as one of the most innovative manufacturers of hardware based synthesizers and more? Not enough that they got nothing better to release on their 40th anniversary than a white colored special edition of their rompler Motif XF, which basically is a great sounding instrument, but from a company like Yamaha I'd expect something more progressive than a humble rompler. No, that's obviously not enough. Now, they're pumping reissues of their old stuff into the market in form of the so called Reface series? Holy smoke, that's a crazy world, isn't it? Do real innovations in the music industry come from small companies, nowadays?

All that makes me wonder again if we, as musicians, are far less innovative and much more conservative than we think? And is the release of products like the Reface series yet another representation of this conservative mindset? Hmm… I really don't know, especially because my knowledge and understanding about business analysis and product marketing is pretty limited.

What's your opinion about it?
I'm pretty sure that to your point about conservative musicians, you might be right. There are so many virtual analog synths these days that chiefly cater to (utterly misplaced) 80ies nostalgia. I always hope for more really innovative digital synths that embrace the future rather than looking to the past, but it's slim pickings compared to the oversaturated VA market
You might want to look at the date on the post you just quoted. :D

PhillipOrdonez

14 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
14 May 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
14 May 2021

No I never did. And that one costs $100 more than the others... I like mini keyboards, but I feel one focused on electric keys might benefit more from more/regular sized keys.
Yeah, I was thinking of hooking it up via midi to a bigger keyboard anyway. They are going for ~360€ nowadays. I may just wait a few more years to get it Hoping for a greater price drop, but it is now on my list... I love electric keys.

Auryn

14 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
14 May 2021
:shock: LOL well there I was assuming this was a recent discussion. Anyway, the point still stands :puf_smile:
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

PhillipOrdonez

14 May 2021

Auryn wrote:
14 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
14 May 2021
:shock: LOL well there I was assuming this was a recent discussion. Anyway, the point still stands :puf_smile:
Yeah, sorry for resurrecting an old thread 😂

• Information