FREE from Chaos FX: Pandemon Stereo Panner

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
chaosroyale

11 May 2021

Based on a discussion about Reasons lack of true stereo panning options: here's a free combinator: "Pandemon".

Uses stock devices only! (requires Pulsar LFO, so Reason 9 and up, I guess?) no extra utilities or CV stuff required!

What does it do?

Insert in the rack for easy one-knob true stereo panning. Try it before and after reverbs and delays.

Includes bass mono-izer and master stereo width, so you can adjust that directly in the rack.

Has a tempo-syncable autopanner with a variety of LFO shapes, which autopans around wherever you set the pan, with adjustable depth.

Has a creative feature to pan / autopan only the mid & hi end, leaving the low mid & bass alone; try it on pads going into the awesome reverbs and delays from my "Boutique FX" packs! Get them at my homepage: https://chaosmusick.com/chaosfx/

The ZIP file below contains a .cmb file of the combinator. Free to use, copyright Chaos FX, not for resale or repacking, etc etc.
Attachments
Chaos FX Pandemon.zip
(46.59 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Chaos FX Pandemon front panel.jpg
Chaos FX Pandemon front panel.jpg (61.45 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

selig
RE Developer

11 May 2021

Quick note: Stereo Combiner Line Mixer is set to 78 on the master, should be 79 for "unity gain" with no panning, though that's still not quite "exact" when trying to subtract 6 dB…
Selig Audio, LLC

chaosroyale

11 May 2021

Hi, thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I tuned it all by ear so I was wavering around 78 : it's also a bit more complex than that because it automatically increases the gain gradually as you narrow the width to help preserve to overall subjective volume. Seeing as my effects are basically "guitar pedal" insert effects, I think it's well within the usable tolerance ;)

Especially because this effect will be used for panning, and Reason's +6dB pan law always feels just a little loud on the sides. I was thinking about automating the volume to compensate slightly, maybe down to a +4.5dB pan law, but it's not very smooth, so I left it as is.

I'll have another listen and see if the difference between 78 & 79 is worth re-zipping and re-uploading the thing! It must be a pretty tiny dB difference.

selig wrote:
11 May 2021
Quick note: Stereo Combiner Line Mixer is set to 78 on the master, should be 79 for "unity gain" with no panning, though that's still not quite "exact" when trying to subtract 6 dB…

selig
RE Developer

11 May 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
11 May 2021
Hi, thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I tuned it all by ear so I was wavering around 78 : it's also a bit more complex than that because it automatically increases the gain gradually as you narrow the width to help preserve to overall subjective volume. Seeing as my effects are basically "guitar pedal" insert effects, I think it's well within the usable tolerance ;)

Especially because this effect will be used for panning, and Reason's +6dB pan law always feels just a little loud on the sides. I was thinking about automating the volume to compensate slightly, maybe down to a +4.5dB pan law, but it's not very smooth, so I left it as is.

I'll have another listen and see if the difference between 78 & 79 is worth re-zipping and re-uploading the thing! It must be a pretty tiny dB difference.

selig wrote:
11 May 2021
Agree, maybe not worth it for such a minuscule level difference.
Never understood the old 6 dB pan laws in Reason, same "logic" as a balance control instead of a true panner. Also not a fan of +3dB pan laws, just another one of the many motivations to create Selig Gain… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

moneykube

11 May 2021

thank you for the patch bro :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

bigguy1

12 May 2021

Maybe I am too stupid, but autopan seems to do nothing. Any help?

Ottostrom

12 May 2021

bigguy1 wrote:
12 May 2021
The mod wheel of the combinator controls the autopan depth and in its default state the mod wheel is set to 0.
If you increase it a bit you should start to hear the panning :)

chaosroyale

13 May 2021

This is correct - most of my effects use Mod Wheel to control a feature like LFO depth, filter, detune, etc. (Thanks for helping the guy out, Ottostrom!)

Also, try automating the autopan depth and rate, rather like you would automate a vibrato. You can really bring synths and pads alive! Can be very effective with the hi-pan-only option.
Ottostrom wrote:
12 May 2021
bigguy1 wrote:
12 May 2021
The mod wheel of the combinator controls the autopan depth and in its default state the mod wheel is set to 0.
If you increase it a bit you should start to hear the panning :)

bigguy1

13 May 2021

Oh I see. Thanx :-)

chaosroyale

20 Jun 2021

Bump, because this is a FREE and really useful little combinator.

Stick it in front of delays. Try the autopan feature.

Use it as a general 2-band stereo width and pan utility.

Control your panning in the rack BEFORE hitting other effects.

Automate the pan and width to bring movement and life to pads or sequences.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Jun 2021
Bump, because this is a FREE and really useful little combinator.

Stick it in front of delays. Try the autopan feature.

Use it as a general 2-band stereo width and pan utility.

Control your panning in the rack BEFORE hitting other effects.

Automate the pan and width to bring movement and life to pads or sequences.
Hej!!!!! Keep your bumping to the bump thread hahaha :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information