You Tube Converter

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

01 Nov 2017

Hi Everybody!

Something just occurred to me when converting a You Tube video online and looking at the various online video convreters, mainly onlinevideoconverter.com which has become a bit riddled with virus's past year or so.

Anyway, I thought, what a great feature it would be for Reason. The ability to convert a video from You Tube to MP3 or WAV. I know it's an already compressed format and given the fact we don't have video sync in Reason yet (if that matters, not really I don't suppose) but the way I could see this working actually would be, Go to File Menu, and in the list (see attachment pic) underneath Drop to Propellerhead and before Export Rex to Midi it could have "Convert You Tube Video". Then a box appears with a place to paste the URL into. Also, there would need to be 2 other options within the box, Folder (for the target folder destination for the converted file to be placed) and 2 checkboxes for the file format, MP3 or WAV (And yes I know we have no MP3 export yet in Reason but it does allow drag 'n' drop of MP3's to the sequencer. Would we need one for Quality too, is it bitrate or depth or whatever, kbps? Anyway, then click OK and wait a few seconds for Reason to do it's magic and it would convert the file and place it in the selected folder. Then you could just drag and drop into the sequencer.) Quick, easy. No need for these virus ridden sites we now have online. The folder may be already open in your browser and with Reason, doesn't automatically appear, you need to go out of that folder and back in again for it to show up. I suggest Propellerheads have a refresh button somewhere within the browser to refresh the folder you're in for instances of this nature so you don't have to go back out and back in again. I know it's not a massive deal but still, half the time needed. Just click refresh.

Would Propellerhead have to pay You Tube to include something like that in their software though? If so, rephrase that to, "Convert Online Video" but it only works with the URL from You Tube or should they include Vevo?

One other thing, do any other daw's have this as a feature? you'd have to be online for it to work (currently connected to the internet) which is a bonus of having online log-in for Reason and yes I know some of you still use the dongle or codemeter.

EDIT - And when the time comes that Reason allows Video Sync. Go one further and have the option to convert the URL to a video format and place it directly into Reason to then sync music to if you so wish.

Thanks!
Attachments
File Menu Options.JPG
File Menu Options.JPG (13.88 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
Last edited by Creativemind on 01 Nov 2017, edited 5 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Ahornberg

01 Nov 2017

I simply hit "record" in Reason for that but audio quality on youtube is not that great.

Creativemind

01 Nov 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
01 Nov 2017
I simply hit "record" in Reason for that but audio quality on youtube is not that great.
So you're recording it externally through a microphone? if so, not ideal.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Ahornberg

01 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
01 Nov 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
01 Nov 2017
So you're recording it externally through a microphone? if so, not ideal.
No, my audio interface has a digital loopback, so no "youtube-quality" is lost :puf_wink:

rcbuse
RE Developer

01 Nov 2017

I've always been a big fan of https://keepvid.com/ to download and then use audacity for conversion / slicing

selig
RE Developer

01 Nov 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
01 Nov 2017
I do it with screen capture software (ScreenFlow).
Wish my interface had digital loopback - which one are you using?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

01 Nov 2017

I am using Audio Hijack to record any sounds on my Mac. Also works great for routing Skype-calls for recording, splitting my voice and interviewed person over 2 channels so I can post process them.

Ahornberg

01 Nov 2017

selig wrote:
01 Nov 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
01 Nov 2017
I do it with screen capture software (ScreenFlow).
Wish my interface had digital loopback - which one are you using?
:)
It's a Motu UltraLite mk3

pushedbutton

01 Nov 2017

VLC media player.
You can either use the youtube url to find it's storage location then browse to that and use 'Save As...' from your browser or you can enable the advanced toolbar and enable the record button which allowed you to save clips from the streaming media straight to your default video storage location.
No need to use online conversion tools at all.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

chimp_spanner

01 Nov 2017

I just have my iPad hooked up with a minijack to dual stereo 1/4" and sample directly from the YouTube app (in addition to many other apps). Seems to work alright!

BriamGurin

11 May 2021

I apologize for bringing up the old forum thread, but I would like to express my gratitude to rcbuse for the link

Mint

11 May 2021

BriamGurin wrote:
11 May 2021
... would like to express my gratitude to rcbuse for the link
plus 1

Jolla

11 May 2021

I use an internal bot in Telegram messenger.
It is very convenient. You throw him a link to the desired video on YouTube and he sends an audio track in mp3 format or the original in m4a.
It is also very convenient that you can run Telegram not only from your phone, but also from computer by web.telegram.org
It's all in chat mode.

Type in the search Telegram: @YtbAudioBot

integerpoet

11 May 2021

FWIW, Reason has been pretty great for me at extracting audio from video just by dragging a video file into a Reason track.

The files which won't import directly are covered by exporting from VLC because it supports additional formats.

Download is a whole other animal and I imagine as the OP pointed out there are legal issues.

But once you have a file you should be golden.

orthodox
RE Developer

13 Jun 2021

I use youtube-dl command line utility:

Code: Select all

> youtube-dl -f bestaudio -x --audio-format wav https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz3WEUJuQs

[youtube] vUz3WEUJuQs: Downloading webpage
[download] Destination: Friktion Modeled Strings - Getting Started in the Reason Rack-vUz3WEUJuQs.webm
[download] 100% of 9.60MiB in 00:00
[ffmpeg] Destination: Friktion Modeled Strings - Getting Started in the Reason Rack-vUz3WEUJuQs.wav
Deleting original file Friktion Modeled Strings - Getting Started in the Reason Rack-vUz3WEUJuQs.webm (pass -k to keep)

gullum

13 Jun 2021

dam it no. RS has more important thinks to do than add a youtube converter. Reason has sampler and thats enough and it's not like all users would be sampling from YouTube and I'm sure many of the things you would want to sample from YouTube can be found with better quality else where.

Billy+

14 Jun 2021

Downloading from YouTube would require many more updates than you might think.

The best option would be to use youtube-dl as it has regular updates to keep the tool compatible and then use something like audacity to chop the full download or Reason but as a feature within reason it would be a complete waste of developers time to keep it working.

The best thing about YouTube-dl is you can ask it to always grab the best / highest quality and if the download fails chances are you only need to run the update command and your set to go again.

The down side is that it can be a pain to initially setup on windows but once it's working you'll be golden from then on......

• Information