Things that should happen automatically

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
fieldframe
RE Developer

08 May 2021

The draw of Reason's rack has always been its flexibility, but as other modular environments have gained popularity in recent years, Reason's has started to look a little clunky in comparison. Where many others tend to automate certain wirings based on common use cases, Reason tends to require everything to be wired manually.

One of the biggest examples in my experience is the Combinator.

The "Combine" feature has long been a nice bit of automation for layering, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Dragging a line mixer into the top of a Combinator should wire it between the instrument and the "from devices" input automatically. Instead, you currently have to:

1. Add the line mixer
2. Disconnect the instrument you just "combined"
3. Connect the instrument to the line mixer
4. Connect the line mixer to the Combinator

Even better, the "combine" action should automatically add a line mixer, given that layering is likely the most common use case for combining. And if you need more than six channels, Reason should be smart enough to be able to "upgrade" a 6:2 mixer to a 14:2, preserving the existing routings.

What are some things you'd like to see Reason do automatically?

zoidkirb

08 May 2021

Shift and connecting a gate CV should automatically connect it's corresponding note CV.
The Auto connect option should be a bit more ambitious. For example auto connecting every output on a Korde instance to a Player Tap.

joeyluck

08 May 2021

I'm hoping an updated Combinator answers a lot of requests by having a built-in I/O and mixer among other tools like envelopes and LFOs. I hope if there is an updated Combinator, it is more along the lines of Snap Heap/Multipass.

I REALLY LIKE THIS TOPIC :thumbup:

For me, things I wish that happened automatically in Reason:
  • Create a new alt note lane when recording on loop. So instead of overwriting what you've recorded with an instrument when it loops back around, the first note lane is muted and the alt lane is automatically created.
  • VSTs automatically open upon creation. I can't think of a time when I created a VST and didn't want to access its UI immediately.
  • VSTs "keep open" selected by default. This can be an option. I can close windows myself, so I prefer they stay open without the extra step and remembering to click "keep open".
  • Clips automatically labeled. I label everything, so I have to choose to "add label to clips" (or assign a shortcut) for every single clip. Clips should by default take the audio file name or the track name and we can easily change it. Then all we would have to do is double-click on the label to edit the label name.
  • Mix and audio channels in the rack unfolded by default. I prefer always having access to everything that is in the 1U view of these devices (insert fx, fx bypass, audio input, audio output). I'm on a 13" MacBook Air and I'm less concerned with screen real estate with these unfolded more than I am with the workflow killer of all of the extra clicks.
I'm pretty sure I have more, but that's what I can think of off of the top of my head right now.

tallguy

08 May 2021

I can't believe I still have to drag both the Left and Right cable individually when connecting something. There should be a way to drag both simultaneously, like a hotkey.

QVprod

08 May 2021

tallguy wrote:
08 May 2021
I can't believe I still have to drag both the Left and Right cable individually when connecting something. There should be a way to drag both simultaneously, like a hotkey.
This one is actually possible. Connect the left cable first and the right cable autoroutes.

deeplink
Competition Winner

08 May 2021

tallguy wrote:
08 May 2021
Shift and wiggle the device
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

tallguy

09 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
08 May 2021
This one is actually possible. Connect the left cable first and the right cable autoroutes.
deeplink wrote:
08 May 2021
I should have been clearer about the scenario I'm thinking of. I often use a Spider to split my audio, mostly to send to a side-chained effect like a compressor. When you're inserting a Spider into an existing chain and want to re-route some of the existing cables, you have to do so for every cable individually. Auto-routing doesn't work in those scenarios.

deeplink
Competition Winner

09 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
08 May 2021
deeplink wrote:
08 May 2021
Ah okay I see what you mean.
Ya perhaps if you grab the middle part between the outputs, then it should grab both L and R cables
I should have been clearer about the scenario I'm thinking of. I often use a Spider to split my audio, mostly to send to a side-chained effect like a compressor. When you're inserting a Spider into an existing chain and want to re-route some of the existing cables, you have to do so for every cable individually. Auto-routing doesn't work in those scenarios.

tallguy

09 May 2021

In a more general way, when you start doing some more exotic routing, I wouldn't expect Reason to always know what exactly I'm getting at. For those scenarios, just let me drag both Left and Right channels simultaneously and be done with.

challism

09 May 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
08 May 2021
Shift and connecting a gate CV should automatically connect it's corresponding note CV.
The Auto connect option should be a bit more ambitious. For example auto connecting every output on a Korde instance to a Player Tap.
This is exactly what I was going to mention. It's probably my biggest workflow speed bump in the rack and something I have been wanting for years. I'm so tired of dragging the gate all the way across the rack, only to have to also do it for the note.

There was a user on RT that had a great signature (I forget who it was), but the signature had a suggestion for routing. It would enable a fast way to connect devices that are away from each other in the rack: you would basically click on the origin jack that you want to connect, then click on the device in the navigation map, then click on the destination jack. So in other words, quickly jump to the destination instead of slowly dragging your way to the destination. I would love to see this functionality added to Reason (sorry, it's a bit off topic, as it isn't necessarily automation- just a good idea that goes along with routing, and an idea I don't want to see die).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

zoidkirb

09 May 2021

challism wrote:
09 May 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
08 May 2021
This is exactly what I was going to mention. It's probably my biggest workflow speed bump in the rack and something I have been wanting for years. I'm so tired of dragging the gate all the way across the rack, only to have to also do it for the note.

There was a user on RT that had a great signature (I forget who it was), but the signature had a suggestion for routing. It would enable a fast way to connect devices that are away from each other in the rack: you would basically click on the origin jack that you want to connect, then click on the device in the navigation map, then click on the destination jack. So in other words, quickly jump to the destination instead of slowly dragging your way to the destination. I would love to see this functionality added to Reason (sorry, it's a bit off topic, as it isn't necessarily automation- just a good idea that goes along with routing, and an idea I don't want to see die).
That would be cool. Probably no faster than right clicking and using the menu to route. But I do like it better as it maintains the skeuomorphic workflow.
But I think what would be even better would be once the HD update is out, being able to zoom right out of the rack so you can see an entire big rack fit on one screen. No scrolling necessary :D

And yeah , routing gate and note CV at once...how was this not a feature from the very start? I can't see it really happening now though, with CV related stuff not seeming like a priority over at RS these days.

Tweak

10 May 2021

Here's how I see it, and what I feel is an elegant solution: Everyone needs something slightly different out of automatic routing. There are many things we can agree on, but also esoteric things that are specific to our own workflows and our most commonly used devices.

Rather than attempt to second guess everything a user would like to do, I'd like to see the capacity to record macros in Reason. Users of photoshop might already know what I mean. The feature should come hand in hand with an undo history that is capable of showing you the steps taken to create and wire up devices. Imagine being able to pick three unrelated devices and press a pre chosen shortcut to apply a macro which will automate a bunch of step changes to wire and configure the devices. Macros could then be edited with minor changes and templated etc.

mmmm, I really want this now.
Last edited by Tweak on 10 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Mint

10 May 2021

Only one request;
Imported audio file automatically plays at project tempo.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

10 May 2021

I would like that in edit mode every note should have its name (e.g. C#3 or Snare). FL studio has this and I think it's very nice. Also, it world be gorgeous in Song mode to have chords names on clips, like some chord detector REs that exists already but integrated into the sequencer.

deeplink
Competition Winner

10 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2021
I'm hoping an updated Combinator answers a lot of requests by having a built-in I/O and mixer among other tools like envelopes and LFOs. I hope if there is an updated Combinator, it is more along the lines of Snap Heap/Multipass.

I REALLY LIKE THIS TOPIC :thumbup:

For me, things I wish that happened automatically in Reason:
  • Create a new alt note lane when recording on loop. So instead of overwriting what you've recorded with an instrument when it loops back around, the first note lane is muted and the alt lane is automatically created.
  • VSTs automatically open upon creation. I can't think of a time when I created a VST and didn't want to access its UI immediately.
  • VSTs "keep open" selected by default. This can be an option. I can close windows myself, so I prefer they stay open without the extra step and remembering to click "keep open".
  • Clips automatically labeled. I label everything, so I have to choose to "add label to clips" (or assign a shortcut) for every single clip. Clips should by default take the audio file name or the track name and we can easily change it. Then all we would have to do is double-click on the label to edit the label name.
  • Mix and audio channels in the rack unfolded by default. I prefer always having access to everything that is in the 1U view of these devices (insert fx, fx bypass, audio input, audio output). I'm on a 13" MacBook Air and I'm less concerned with screen real estate with these unfolded more than I am with the workflow killer of all of the extra clicks.
I'm pretty sure I have more, but that's what I can think of off of the top of my head right now.
Plus 10 to all of these.
I hate it when the vst window suddenly dissapears and I have to find it in my rack again.

Another addition:
It may not be so automatic, but if you could right click the 16:2 Mixer and send all channels to their own mix channel then that would save some time and provide an added bonus of audio routings saved within combinators

Re8et
Competition Winner

10 May 2021

Tell windows to stop every background operations for as long as Reason is running.
That would be awesome.

Also I would like to know to use scratch disk folder for to avoid folders scans each time I try to open a sound bank, and use memory instead,
which is barely used, or just make RAM more relevant in some way, to speed up searches...

What is doing the default scratch folder? Any way to test its speed??
An automatic speed test??

Mike B

15 May 2021

Make the End Marker loop back to the Start Marker everytime you reach the last pattern in the sequencer without having to manually set the End Marker.

If you forget to set the End Marker the song keeps playing forward through no patterns.

dioxide

15 May 2021

The first channel of the mixers should autoroute as if it were a device with only one set of inputs.

And yes like the CV Gate you should be able to route L and R audio cables at the same time by holding Shift.

Chizmata

15 May 2021

when you finished a good track, reason should automatically secure the intellectual property; upload, advertise and monetize it; transfer the money to your bank account.

loopeydoug

15 May 2021

Now there's a pro tip!

Creativemind

15 May 2021

Sync'ing should happen automatically for the browsers and windows.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

fieldframe
RE Developer

17 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2021
Now that a new Combinator is confirmed for Reason 12, here’s hoping!

tallguy

18 May 2021

OK, here's another one. When you drag an automation clip to another lane, Reason will often put red stripes through the clip as it's formatted differently. I only just found out you can right-click and "Adjust Alien Clips to Lane" so it re-formats the data to fit the new lane. That's something that should just happen transparently.

Seriously, all these years of me not assuming Reason simply can't do this. Just make it happen automatically.

deeplink
Competition Winner

18 May 2021

Another one, maybe it's been mentioned before elsewhere...

When double clicking VSTs from the sequencer it should open the VST - not take you to the VST Rack Device

tallguy

18 May 2021

deeplink wrote:
18 May 2021
When double clicking VSTs from the sequencer it should open the VST - not take you to the VST Rack Device
It already does that, no? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you said.

Single click takes you to the device in the rack. Double-click opens the VST

• Information