What audio really is

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

07 May 2021

orthodox wrote:
07 May 2021
Enlightenspeed wrote:
07 May 2021
I haven't moved into audio yet, so if you don't mind can you point me in the direction of any texts that cover it being taught in this manner?
I can't point it on the internet, but it somehow comes from analog signal reconstruction from its sampled values, interpolation of the signal with the condition of limited frequency band, the Nyquist ISI criterion and such.

You can see the perfect illustration in Izotope RX, if you zoom in a (silent) waveform to the samples and try to move one sample.
Never used RX. That’s bizarre though because there is an Izotope tutorial, albeit a low level one, which explicitly states that it’s amplitude.

Is this just an abstract representation? I can see why it would make sense given that the range quoted is unsigned.

orthodox
RE Developer

07 May 2021

Enlightenspeed wrote:
07 May 2021
Never used RX. That’s bizarre though because there is an Izotope tutorial, albeit a low level one, which explicitly states that it’s amplitude.
It is amplitude. I just wanted to add that it affects the surrounding waveform even if the neighboring samples are untouched.

fullforce

07 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
06 May 2021
Someone claimed or actually told that whereas there are pixels in the graphics making the picture, the audio is in frames and has it's own "pixels" but just in the audiowise. So that probably means that in the digital audio there's only certain amount of different frames. If this is being true I can already think of lots of benefits to develop stuff in the audio science. Some of my tracks might have some same frames as there is in the Prodigy's music.
Drugs are bad m'kay?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

selig
RE Developer

08 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
06 May 2021

My question explained: As a wav. file is about putting frames in row that make a tube, - then aren't the frames technically having a limit that makes every possible frame unique?
The question itself has “flaws” IMO. With digital video or pictures the pixels are what we see as the end product. But with audio, the samples/frames etc are NOT what we hear. We actually hear analog signals, not digital. Once the signal is converted there are no longer “frames”, but instead a smooth analog signal just like any other. You could also ask if all “voltages” have already been “heard” and thus there are no new voltages.

But IF you want to stick with your analogy, think about notes. There are only 12 per octave, but have ALL notes already been used/heard? Some of the notes I’m using are also in Prodigy’s music, but we sound nothing alike. Now think about a single sample having tens of thousands of possible values, and with tens of thousands of these samples per second the variations are HUGE - far more than the 12 notes provide, and we have yet to fully exhaust those variations IMO.
Same goes for the letters in the alphabet, the colors in the spectrum, and the textures in the physical world, not to mention the very building blocks of all life - DNA.
Selig Audio, LLC

Noise
Competition Winner

08 May 2021

selig wrote:
08 May 2021
...Same goes for the letters in the alphabet, the colors in the spectrum, and the textures in the physical world, not to mention the very building blocks of all life - DNA.
Boom, mic drop. Great reply.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Heigen5

08 May 2021

selig wrote:
08 May 2021
We actually hear analog signals, not digital. Once the signal is converted there are no longer “frames”, but instead a smooth analog signal just like any other.
So it IS digital but not after converting it to analog?

guitfnky

08 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
08 May 2021
selig wrote:
08 May 2021
We actually hear analog signals, not digital. Once the signal is converted there are no longer “frames”, but instead a smooth analog signal just like any other.
of course it’s digital when it’s in the computer. that’s the whole point of converting analog sounds to digital (what an interface does), so the computer (digital only) can work with them, before converting them back to analog signals so you can hear them (interface again).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Heigen5

09 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
08 May 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
08 May 2021

of course it’s digital when it’s in the computer. that’s the whole point of converting analog sounds to digital (what an interface does), so the computer (digital only) can work with them, before converting them back to analog signals so you can hear them (interface again).
Well that's what I knew too. I just told what someone claimed. Of course I don't know all the details about it.

jam-s

09 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
09 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
08 May 2021

Well that's what I knew too. I just told what someone claimed. Of course I don't know all the details about it.
So, what's stopping you from learning the details?

Heigen5

09 May 2021

jam-s wrote:
09 May 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
09 May 2021

So, what's stopping you from learning the details?
I don't know if there's any good level schools about it here in Finland. And also I think I can't be bothered at my age anymore.

jam-s

09 May 2021

With the vast amount of free information and lectures that are available online now, I think you don't need to attend a school to get a deeper knowledge on those basic (and even in depth) concepts.
Also (this might blow your mind) even the analogue world is (according to quantum physics) made out of discrete quantised values - much like digital audio is. If you want to research more into this have a look at "Planck length", Planck time", or in general "Planck units". It's a fascinating simulation we all live in. ;)

Heigen5

09 May 2021

jam-s wrote:
09 May 2021
With the vast amount of free information and lectures that are available online now, I think you don't need to attend a school to get a deeper knowledge on those basic (and even in depth) concepts.
Also (this might blow your mind) even the analogue world is (according to quantum physics) made out of discrete quantised values - much like digital audio is. If you want to research more into this have a look at "Planck length", Planck time", or in general "Planck units". It's a fascinating simulation we all live in. ;)
Ok, cool, I'm over my parents atm, but might give these a look later on. Cheers!

• Information