Generic remote codec with pickup or bidirectional mode

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Cableguy

04 May 2021

Hello there

the subject says it all. I am looking for a generic remote codec with pickup or bidirectional mode. I own a hardware synth that can send and receive midi cc values. I created a custom remote map from the "other" midi controller map and want that either the values are catched and don't jump or when a value is changed in reason the new value should be send to the synth.

Kind regards

lowtom

04 May 2021

Try Koshdukai's Generic Controller MIDI Channel Remote Codec:

https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.c ... emote.html
:reason: :refill: :re:

Cableguy

06 May 2021

Thank you. But Reason doesn't seem to send CC values to MIDI out.

rmtcvolte

06 May 2021

We are talking about two different things here. If your synth would be capable of receive cc values and its encoders, rotaries, faders, sliders, buttons react accordingly, you need no pickup, because everything is in "sync". This is more likely with dedicated Midi controlers, not synth.
Pickup on the other hand is used if you have rotarys that not automaticaly match to the values in the software, like the ones on most synths. But both things are possible with Reasons Remote protocol, but this is not implemented in the "other" codecs as long as I know.
You have to write your own codec, or you have to customize one, like Koshdukai wrote on his webside.

electrofux

07 May 2021

If you take Koshdukais bidirectional version, Reason should send out Midi CCs to the specified port in the remote preferences. The Question is if those are the right ones and how your synth handles the display of incoming CCs.

Pickup Mode is totally possible but requires at least two more functions in the codec.

Cableguy

22 Nov 2021

electrofux wrote:
07 May 2021
Pickup Mode is totally possible but requires at least two more functions in the codec.
How exactly can this be done? Do you have an example?

I wonder why a pickup mode had to be done in the remote codec. As I understand the codec would then have to know the current CC value from Reason and suppress the CC values from the controller until the CC value in Reason is reached. Shouldn't this be a global function in reason that would work with all kind of controllers?

rmtcvolte

22 Nov 2021

Cableguy wrote:
22 Nov 2021
electrofux wrote:
07 May 2021
How exactly can this be done? Do you have an example?

I wonder why a pickup mode had to be done in the remote codec. As I understand the codec would then have to know the current CC value from Reason and suppress the CC values from the controller until the CC value in Reason is reached. Shouldn't this be a global function in reason that would work with all kind of controllers?
"Remote is a protocol for communication between hardware control surfaces and software applications, developed by Propellerhead Software." - it is what it is (there is no "global" functionality). You have to implement pickup in the codec, one example how this could be done: https://github.com/carlosedp/Reason-Kor ... ol2-Remote

Cableguy

22 Nov 2021

Thank you for the link. I will have a look and try to edit it to work with my controller.

Cableguy

23 Nov 2021

I almost didn't think it was possible, but I managed it. Pickup Mode works now with my old M-Audio Oxygen 49 (silver). I have attached the Lua script. Maybe someone can do something with it.
Attachments
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Pickup Mode.zip
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

• Information