WAUBABY Multi-Wah fx (best wah collection that you know by Turn2on)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

03 May 2021

WAUBABY Multi-Wah effect

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... multi-wah/

WAUBABY is not just another Wah-Wah effect. It is the biggest existing collection of known Wah pedals emulations all in one box. Now it couldn't be easier to select that special Wah tone you need from 22 Wah models and 50+ modes. This is a collection of most the popular, most recognised and iconic Wah pedals also including artist signature pedals with further expanded range modes for creating your own ultimate wah tone in the Reason Rack. Now you can have a big bag of Wah pedals all contained within one Rack Extension. This is WAUBABY, baby!!!!

Select the frequency range pedal model and sweep it using the pedal with either frequency knob or even a foot controller. From narrow and high to subtle and broad tones everything is possible using the various Wah pedal models and modes of WAHBABY.

The Wah pedal shifts a bandpass filter with a resonant peak creating the sounds of a trumpet mute, or a human voice like a "Wah-Wah" also known today as "Wacka-Wacka" on rhythm guitar.
The Wah effects usually work on the guitar mid range sound. Some pedals have been specially created for use with Bass guitars. Many keyboardists also use Wah effects with keys and synthesizers to produce humanized sounds. WAUBABY includes Wah models and modes for guitars, bass and also include allows for frequency range mode tweaking for more effctive use with various other kinds of incoming signals.
6-BAND EQ helps to control and remove Wah artifacts from the processed signal. Envelope follower section measures incoming audio signal level and uses it as a Frequency modulator.

The Wah Pedal is a frequency range filter effect, it is very popular in the world of music since its innovation in the 1960's as an experimental solution to mid range boosting of a guitar signal.
WAUBABY is a unique and must-have effect collection for all fans of Wah .

ps: Remember, WAUBABY work perfect for any kind of sounds.
Any incoming signal can work in the mid range of the guitar signal and sound interesting. But special modes, can work for Bass guitar, or synths in wide frequency range. Try it now.
FREQ RANGE Modes: read the manual
Attachments
video2.png
video2.png (563.87 KiB) Viewed 8474 times
Last edited by turn2on on 03 May 2021, edited 4 times in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 May 2021

I know it was me who did a lot of the guitar and bass music in the video but this is really and seriously the best Wah plugin I’ve ever used. Really really!!! I love it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moneykube

03 May 2021

insta-buy ! :clap: :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

challism

03 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
03 May 2021
I know it was me who did a lot of the guitar and bass music in the video but this is really and seriously the best Wah plugin I’ve ever used. Really really!!! I love it.
Sounds great! Nice playing, MrFigg!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 May 2021

challism wrote:
03 May 2021
MrFigg wrote:
03 May 2021
Sounds great! Nice playing, MrFigg!
Thanks man :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

littlejam

03 May 2021

hello,

i love the sounds being created with this RE
how do you actually use it live while playing the guitar please?
it seems like you play guitar and then tweak it afterwards?
or do you need an expression pedal or something on your midi controller
like a foot pedal

very interested, but needing some know-how

cheers to MrFigg on the guitar licks

mahalos,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 May 2021

littlejam wrote:
03 May 2021
hello,

i love the sounds being created with this RE
how do you actually use it live while playing the guitar please?
it seems like you play guitar and then tweak it afterwards?
like a foot pedal

very interested, but needing some know-how

cheers to MrFigg on the guitar licks

mahalos,

j
Certainly if you want to use your guitar through it live then having a midi expression pedal is the way to go. For recording purposes you can just automate the frequency control.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

turn2on
RE Developer

03 May 2021

littlejam wrote:
03 May 2021
like a foot pedal
Hi, littlejam

In product manual we have info about this:

Highly recommend to use external Expression pedal with WAHBABY Multi-Wah effect.
 You can build custom converter from 1/4 Jack Expression pedal -> USB midi, based on Arduino. Please read manual about custom converter

Problem, that if you prefer to work with Expression pedal, them usually have 1/4" jack output. And with this jack output is hard to work, if you not already have any hardware with Expression pedal input (midi keyboards, synthesizers, another hardware).
Cheapest and easiest way, build 1/4 Expression Pedal -> USB MIDI converter. By the link, you can read how to build own chip converter based on Arduino. You can also add to it some additional midi controllers.

But anyway, no problems to work at home or studio with any midi controller knob, or ModWheel at real time or as post processing.
And check, may be your midi controller / synth already have Expression pedal input.
Dont know what Expression pedal is actual today on the market, but last we select - Nektar NX-P as cheap and stable solution

littlejam

03 May 2021

hello,

i have a nektar impact 88 key + controller
i checked the stats page and it has a foot switch (on / off)
not an expression pedal input

i will look into the arduino information

i think more than half the fun is playing the wah live with guitar
and not tweaking knobs afterwards

i think other nektar controllers have the expression pedal input

hindsight is 20/20
or is it 4/20

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

cymek74

03 May 2021

Killing it ATM Turn2on, BlueDepth is epic, and this is another must-have Re, nice work on the Demo MrFigg.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

guitfnky

03 May 2021

those demo sounds are fantastic. this would be really tempting, if there was a half decent MIDI expression pedal for such things. crazy that’s still a niche that needs filling.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

03 May 2021

littlejam wrote:
03 May 2021
hello,

i will look into the arduino information

i think more than half the fun is playing the wah live with guitar
and not tweaking knobs afterwards

i think other nektar controllers have the expression pedal input

hindsight is 20/20
or is it 4/20

cheers,

j
There's a few MIDI foot controllers available out there.

Such as the Behringer FCB1010: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... er-fcb1010

There's also some USB adapters available if you don't find a good solution with arduino, such as this one: https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php And then you can pick your own single expression pedal to plug into it.

And then there are solutions such as this one, which would be a part of your 5-pin MIDI setup: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -generator

Aside from building something yourself, for the cost, if you have the space and can make use of the extra switches, I'd consider the FCB1010.

Mataya

03 May 2021

Even if you don't play a guitar, very useful plugin RE.

Thanks.

Mataya

challism

03 May 2021

cymek74 wrote:
03 May 2021
Killing it ATM Turn2on, BlueDepth is epic, and this is another must-have Re, nice work on the Demo MrFigg.
This RE definitely made MrFigg's new sitar sound good, didn't it? Pure magic! ;)
Mataya wrote:
03 May 2021
Even if you don't play a guitar, very useful plugin RE.
Agreed. Some users may be unaware that a wah effect can be used on anything; it's not just limited to electric guitar (it could even be applied to guitar samples!). The wah effect, after all, was developed from an altered organ filter.... so try throwing a wah on synths and any other instruments in your rack.
joeyluck wrote:
03 May 2021
Aside from building something yourself, for the cost, if you have the space and can make use of the extra switches, I'd consider the FCB1010.
Funny this was brought up; I have been thinking about the possibility of building a USB expression pedal. Finding a manufactured one available in Vietnam is proving a bit difficult, and I don't want to import one. It doesn't seem like building one would be too difficult.

DaveyG

04 May 2021

If you already have a keyboard with an expression pedal input you'd be crazy not to add a pedal. The best cheap one is the M-Audio EX-P - around £13. Mine is still going strong and has had lots of use and abuse.

If you are a guitarist using software FX then it's hard to beat the Behringer for value and flexibility.

moneykube

04 May 2021

I have not tested it yet... I own a Roland EV-5 expression petal to connect to my Arturia essential 49... surely this should work to automate the wah? or do I need this as well?
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 11.27.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 11.27.33 PM.png (95.32 KiB) Viewed 8171 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 May 2021

littlejam wrote:
03 May 2021
hello,

As you said, the Impact doesn’t have an Expression input. Therefore you won’t be able to use an Expression Pedal. You’ll need a 3.5mm jack to USB as T2on recommended.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 May 2021

moneykube wrote:
04 May 2021
I have not tested it yet... I own a Roland EV-5 expression petal to connect to my Arturia essential 49... surely this should work to automate the wah? or do I need this as well?
If you’ve got an Expression In on your Keyboard and an Expression pedal you don’t need anything else.
Try automating any knob on another RE with your pedal. If it moves up and down then you’re fine. Same procedure.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

turn2on
RE Developer

04 May 2021

moneykube wrote:
04 May 2021
I own a Roland EV-5 expression petal to connect to my Arturia essential 49... surely this should work to automate the wah? or do I need this as well?
Sustain pedal like a On/Off switcher.
You need expression pedal input to receive 0-127 value as midi CC

You need usb converter for pedal.
Arduono is very cheap and fast solution to build for anybody who never touch Arduono.
Get cheap analog of Arduino Leonardo (or other), connect few wires to GPIO like on picture to 1/4 jack input, upload by usb ready sketch project. And run Reason with connected pedal.

Or find any hardware with this input.
Last edited by turn2on on 04 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

DaveyG

04 May 2021

moneykube wrote:
04 May 2021
Unfortunately that Arturia keyboard only has a sustain pedal input so the expression pedal will not work.

Sustain inputs take a footswitch - on or off. Expression inputs take a variable voltage (or resistance to be picky) for variable control. Sustain inputs are common on keyboards because they are cheap to add. Expressions inputs need a little more circuitry so are not so common, especially at the lower end of the price scale.

But once you've tried a midi expression pedal with a soft synth you will never go back. It's like having a third hand.

moneykube

04 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
04 May 2021
moneykube wrote:
04 May 2021
Unfortunately that Arturia keyboard only has a sustain pedal input so the expression pedal will not work.

Sustain inputs take a footswitch - on or off. Expression inputs take a variable voltage (or resistance to be picky) for variable control. Sustain inputs are common on keyboards because they are cheap to add. Expressions inputs need a little more circuitry so are not so common, especially at the lower end of the price scale.

But once you've tried a midi expression pedal with a soft synth you will never go back. It's like having a third hand.
yes understood... have a sustain petal as well... had hoped expression petal would also work with that input.... controllers are new to me... used to use old school midi keyboards until recently... learning curve... but a fun one>>> not really sure what to start with with Arduono
this seems more straight forward > https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php
^^^^seems like it should work.. even looks like the roland expression petal in the video( looks like the one left of the sustain petal in the video . Anyone use or try this with mac os catalina ?

DaveyG

04 May 2021

moneykube wrote:
04 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
04 May 2021

yes understood... have a sustain petal as well... had hoped expression petal would also work with that input.... controllers are new to me... used to use old school midi keyboards until recently... learning curve... but a fun one>>> not really sure what to start with with Arduono
this seems more straight forward > https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php
^^^^seems like it should work.. even looks like the roland expression petal in the video( looks like the one left of the sustain petal in the video . Anyone use or try this with mac os catalina ?
If you didn't already have an expression pedal I would be urging you to look at the Behringer FCB1010. Two expression pedals and 10 switches for not much more than buying one budget pedal and an adapter. It's flexible and can be programmed to send pretty much any MIDI message you might want but that flexibility can also be the downside. Programming it is not complicated but it is a bit fiddly!

turn2on
RE Developer

04 May 2021

Controllers like Behringer FCB1010 is a powerful complex solution and for this price - is real good deal.

If today you can search solution to run one pedal, tomorrow you can understand, that two pedals can more. As example one for Wah, second for Pitch. Plus foot switchers can change various params (fxs, modes, etc).

Any Expression pedal must already have polarity switchers (pos/neg) and Amount knob of pedal range. No need in special software or functional hardware boxes for this.

For users, who interesting to try cheap pedal and need simple converter, Arduino is way to go (about 15 usd). Another solutions of converting have much bigger prices.

Who interesting in Arduino:
1. 10 usd, Arduino unit
2. 3 usd, just three wires M/F
3. 3 usd. 1/4 jack stereo 6 pin

That all you really need to have converter

challism

04 May 2021

Thanks for posting that info, Mike! That is really useful. Of course, it isn't in stock right now. I'll have to check back later, of find it elsewhere. At least now I know what I'm looking for to build my own pedal.

Edit: found another one in stock in a different Amazon store:

moneykube

05 May 2021

I am looking at this converter as I own 3 petals... Roland EV-5 expression petal, Korg EXP-2 expression petal, and a Donner sustain petal ( the first 2 are said to work with their gear, and the devices are Catalina compatible (it says)... it would be nice to have all 3 at once in one package with software that can alter each petal for various functions... If someone can point out a better option to hook up all 3 petals, I am all ears... as this is a bit more then I wanted to spend. https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.42.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.42.26 AM.png (62.75 KiB) Viewed 7932 times

• Information