More voices for Alter/Ego?

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

02 May 2021

Currently, I have the following free ones installed:
I was looking at ALYS, but it appears the voxwave shop is down. I submitted for the trial version, but haven't received anything...likely related to the shop being down. https://www.voxwave.fr/qui-est-alys/

Does anybody know of any other voices available for Alter/Ego?

Aside from having fun creating and playing phrases composed of words, I find Alter/Ego to be a very cool synth for creating sounds. It's fun to explore and create tones just typing in a single syllable like "oh" or "mmm" or just stringing together random letters to see what sounds I get. Also modulating parameters like helium and others with CV is fun.

DaveyG

02 May 2021

Those are the only four I have ever managed to get hold of. Would be nice to get some more Western ones but I think it will never happen.

Usually my placeholder vocals are voiced by Daisy saying "Laah".

jam-s

02 May 2021

To get some more synthetic voices you could have a look at UTAU as there are plenty of (free) voicebanks for this (like the famous Kasane Teto ones).

EDIT: "In late 2017 it was mentioned that Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc. had a working redirect adaptation that would make UTAU vocals appear in its engine Alter/Ego."

joeyluck

02 May 2021

jam-s wrote:
02 May 2021
To get some more synthetic voices you could have a look at UTAU as there are plenty of (free) voicebanks for this (like the famous Kasane Teto ones).

EDIT: "In late 2017 it was mentioned that Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc. had a working redirect adaptation that would make UTAU vocals appear in its engine Alter/Ego."
Thanks for the suggestion. UTAU isn't realtime though is it? It looks more like Emvoice One. Whereas Alter/Ego you type and then play freely instead of drawing into a sequencer.

DaveyG

03 May 2021

I've not heard of UTAU but I had high hopes for Emvoice until I found out that it's rendered on their servers rather than on your PC so I briefly trialled it then uninstalled it.

What we need is one of the big guns like Google to apply themselves to an AI singing engine. If you think about the way speech recognition and speech synthesis has progressed in recent years we need the same amount of effort put into vocal synthesis..

joeyluck

03 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2021
I've not heard of UTAU but I had high hopes for Emvoice until I found out that it's rendered on their servers rather than on your PC so I briefly trialled it then uninstalled it.

What we need is one of the big guns like Google to apply themselves to an AI singing engine. If you think about the way speech recognition and speech synthesis has progressed in recent years we need the same amount of effort put into vocal synthesis..
https://artsandculture.google.com/exper ... cGbw?hl=en

🤣

DaveyG

03 May 2021

Haha. That might the best thing to happen to opera since forever. Not sure it's going to put any fat Italians out of business just yet though.

jam-s

03 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2021
UTAU (just like Vocaloid) is an offline process where short phonemes of sung phrases are glued together and then post processed to try to create the voice of a virtual singer that is based on the voice of a (real) singer.

DaveyG

03 May 2021

An up and coming one is Synthesiser V

https://dreamtonics.com/en/synthesizerv/

I think it's aiming to become a Vocaloid clone.

The free version is standalone only and you can't play it live but it's good to see another team working in this area. The pro version is around 85 GBP but, inevitably, almost all the voices are Japanese or Chinese.,

raymondh

06 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2021

The free version is standalone only and you can't play it live but it's good to see another team working in this area. The pro version is around 85 GBP but, inevitably, almost all the voices are Japanese or Chinese.,
Yes pity they aren't releasing Western Voices. Emvoice is though.

I recently picked up Chipspeech and having a ball with that!

challism

06 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2021
Haha. That might the best thing to happen to opera since forever. Not sure it's going to put any fat Italians out of business just yet though.
My kids were watching some of this on youtube the other day. I didn't know there was a website for interactive play. Fun!

Thanks for sharing this.

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DaveyG

07 May 2021

raymondh wrote:
06 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2021

Yes pity they aren't releasing Western Voices. Emvoice is though.
The free version comes with Eleanor Forte (Lite) and is English with the full version planned but not yet released. But, yes, only one English voice and the results are not really any different to Vocaloid. But if you want that Vocaloid style sound for free it's worth trying.

https://resource.dreamtonics.com/download/

• Information