Static Cling - AutoLatch MIDI Gate

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
LongFist

21 Feb 2021

Yeah. Thank you!
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

Socram
RE Developer

30 Apr 2021

Hey everyone, after some delay I want to let people know the free update V1.1 of AutoLatch is now live, it adds the aforementioned Mono Latch feature as well as some bug fixes.

It is also on a major sale through May!
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2021

Brilliant RE. Love it.
Thanks for updating.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2021

mono latch is good thanks
- Certified Reason expert

challism

01 May 2021

If you haven't tried AutoLatch yet.... try it! Definitely worth the money (a true bargain at full price). Sale price is a no-brainer. This is a great device for anyone who uses players or MIDI notes of any kind. I didn't realize how much versatility it added until I tried it for the first time; I knew I was going to buy it within the first few minutes.

I guess the real magic of this device is you can experiment with all sorts of different note length combinations. Since piano isn't my main instrument, I tend to play a lot of similar note lengths. This device helps me change things up. Similar to the way Robotic Bean's Euclidean player can help come up with a variety of more interesting rhythms. Speaking of... AutoLatch + Euclidean = WOW!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EdGrip

02 May 2021

This is the only Player device I've bought, so far. It's a basic premise but it's actually deep. Being able to drop this into RRP is very useful. There might be a M4L device to do something similar, but it wouldn't do it so well.

chimp_spanner

05 May 2021

Yeah Ableton has a MIDI note length plugin, and it's really useful. But this is more useful!

dioxide

05 May 2021

I'm having a lot of fun trialling this. There's something I'd like to do that is beyond the capabilities of this device and I wondered if Delta MIDI Computer is capable of doing this?

What I want to do is to mimic the 'note length' of a sampler set to One Shot mode, specifically the way that the sample would be shorter when played higher up the keyboard and lower when played down the keyboard. So if you play C4 the note length would be half the length of C3, and C2 plays for twice the length of C3. It would require some kind of keyboard scaling to do this, and maybe something similar is possible in Thor's mod matrix, but I'd like to know if Delta can do this somehow?

dioxide

05 May 2021

Also, for me having the ms increments in ±100ms steps is way too coarse. I realise you can change the value by ±1 with Shift held, but I'd have thought ±10 would be a far more useful range.

For instance 10ms is too short and clipped, but the next value is 110ms which is a huge difference. If I hold Shift and drag towards the bottom of my laptop screen to try and change the value to, let's say 50ms, I hit the bottom of my screen at 103ms. I have to make this dragging movement to the bottom of my screen eight times to go fro 110ms to 50ms. Likewise dragging upwards to the top of the screen takes me from 110ms to 115ms. Try it. This behaviour could definitely be improved.

Socram
RE Developer

05 May 2021

Thanks to you all for the kind words, glad to hear you all are enjoying it and its helping you to make music :)
dioxide wrote:
05 May 2021
I'm having a lot of fun trialling this. There's something I'd like to do that is beyond the capabilities of this device and I wondered if Delta MIDI Computer is capable of doing this?
Unfortunately Delta does not have any gate/note length altering at this moment. That's not for lack of trying, it actually had one in beta but the way it interacted with other nodes was too bug prone and I was unable to find a satisfactory implementation after a lot of attempts. In fact, the reason AutoLatch exists is because of Delta losing that feature, I wanted to bring it back in some form.

The only solution I can think of isn't particularly elegant, but it does work. Basically you use the If node to branch your notes to different CV Outputs, then send those to separate player stacks using CVTap, each with different note lengths and duplicated instruments.

dioxide wrote:
05 May 2021
Also, for me having the ms increments in ±100ms steps is way too coarse. I realise you can change the value by ±1 with Shift held, but I'd have thought ±10 would be a far more useful range.
I struggled with this decision for a long time and found the current setup to be the best compromise. With ±10 as the largest jump it takes ages to navigate the full range of 10000ms. AutoLatch admittedly suffers from a couple different examples of unfriendly UX like this, so if/when I ever do an overhaul of its controls I'll keep this concern in mind.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Bes
Competition Winner

06 May 2021

dioxide wrote:
05 May 2021

What I want to do is to mimic the 'note length' of a sampler set to One Shot mode, specifically the way that the sample would be shorter when played higher up the keyboard and lower when played down the keyboard. So if you play C4 the note length would be half the length of C3, and C2 plays for twice the length of C3. It would require some kind of keyboard scaling to do this, and maybe something similar is possible in Thor's mod matrix, but I'd like to know if Delta can do this somehow?
ok alternatively if you set up a combinator and use an RPG8 for the note cv wired back into the combi and assigned to Manual Sequence Index then play around with the values until you get the desired effect.

you'l probably need to account for the extra time it will take to route the note information to the latch index and you can do that with a note echo player with a single repeat and the original note disabled. use your own judgement to decide how long to delay the note but i find 4-8ms is usually enough for something like this

Bes
Competition Winner

06 May 2021

i built this patch just to check and ~200ms is how much i needed to delay the note in order to make time for the key info to change the index first

dioxide

06 May 2021

Thanks for the replies, I will give this a go. I had a quick go last night with Thor and key scaling the Step Sequencer gate length but it isn't strong enough when set to 100%. Apart from this there are a few instruments that have an Envelope scaling function: Operator, ReDominator and Blamsoft's envelope generator, so maybe I can do this with CV instead.

bidaar

09 May 2021

anytime anyone needs a windows tester Im there for it . also I wish you could reset my trial for this I trialed this before and never used it . does anyone have any creative or outta the box experience with this ? or something like with drums or bitmap or anything anyway different that in the review videos in the shop ?
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

Bes
Competition Winner

10 May 2021

its all creative? you could gate control an envelope for a different length than the instrument. or why not use a gate a bar or two long on another sequencer as a clip launcher of sorts. or use the gate lengths rhythmically or even tie it into a feedback loop with one of the env stage cv's of a PSDN

challism

10 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
09 May 2021
anytime anyone needs a windows tester Im there for it . also I wish you could reset my trial for this I trialed this before and never used it . does anyone have any creative or outta the box experience with this ? or something like with drums or bitmap or anything anyway different that in the review videos in the shop ?
It's $9. Just buy it. It's one of my favorite players. Funny that you asked about Beatmap (I assume that's what you meant by bitmap?), because I use this after Beatmap all the time. It's a great to use with Beatmap because it will take those really short drum hits (which sound like ghost notes when played on non-percussive instruments) and it turns them into longer notes (however long you want, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, random, 1000 ms, 500 ms, mute, pass thru, create some kind of gate pattern.... whatever you want). If you use players or MIDI at all (and that would likely be all of us), this is a no-brainer. You're unlikely to appreciate just how much it will add to your music until you try it. That was the case for me and countless others. But since you already used your trial, I say you should just buy it. You won't be disappointed, for $9 or $19.

bidaar

10 May 2021

challism wrote:
10 May 2021
bidaar wrote:
09 May 2021
It's $9. Just buy it. It's one of my favorite players. Funny that you asked about Beatmap (I assume that's what you meant by bitmap?), because I use this after Beatmap all the time. It's a great to use with Beatmap because it will take those really short drum hits (which sound like ghost notes when played on non-percussive instruments) and it turns them into longer notes (however long you want, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, random, 1000 ms, 500 ms, mute, pass thru, create some kind of gate pattern.... whatever you want). If you use players or MIDI at all (and that would likely be all of us), this is a no-brainer. You're unlikely to appreciate just how much it will add to your music until you try it. That was the case for me and countless others. But since you already used your trial, I say you should just buy it. You won't be disappointed, for $9 or $19.
ayyy my bad I meant Bitmap I type fast sometimes I dont pay attention on what Im typing or doing . and it is indeed funny because I saw a comment on Reason Studios youtube Bitmap video someone said something about using it after Bitmap and I think I saw you replied to thats why I got intrested in that .
since Im a playere head , and I know you and how much of Player / Reason head you are Im just gonna buy it :-) :D :puf_smile: :geek:
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

challism

11 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
10 May 2021
challism wrote:
10 May 2021

ayyy my bad I meant Bitmap I type fast sometimes I dont pay attention on what Im typing or doing . and it is indeed funny because I saw a comment on Reason Studios youtube Bitmap video someone said something about using it after Bitmap and I think I saw you replied to thats why I got intrested in that .
since Im a playere head , and I know you and how much of Player / Reason head you are Im just gonna buy it :-) :D :puf_smile: :geek:
Since you are a player head, you definitely won't regret buying this. It's essential, IMO.

bidaar

11 May 2021

challism wrote:
11 May 2021
bidaar wrote:
10 May 2021

Since you are a player head, you definitely won't regret buying this. It's essential, IMO.
Consider it DONE !
Whens gonna may madness begin ? if theres any ? I was wondering maybe I should make a topic about it so everyone can disscuss what they have in mind what bought or gonna etc ... and everything that goes under sale .

bidaar

11 May 2021

challism wrote:
11 May 2021
bidaar wrote:
10 May 2021

Bought it RN . I love players and Utilities . first of all because its different and creative and it worth investing because its nowhere else .
anyways any videos or topic or tips about combining auto latch with other players would be appreciate it .
just so you know what Players I have : Reason 11 Suite + Melodramatik 2 , Chordbank , Note Alter , Note Filter , Note Humanizer , Kompulsion , RND , UTL , Midi-CV Convereter , Sequences , Auto Latch , Chord Detector , Chordline , Note Monitor , AB Transpose , Scale Matrix , St100 , and a few utilities like Euclid and Step Note 2 .

DaveyG

11 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
11 May 2021

Whens gonna may madness begin ?
It's usually the last two weeks in May so it should start next week if it is "as usual". I'm thinking the discounts on RS products will be less generous this year, as they are desperate to get us all on the subscription..

bidaar

11 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
11 May 2021
bidaar wrote:
11 May 2021

Whens gonna may madness begin ?
It's usually the last two weeks in May so it should start next week if it is "as usual". I'm thinking the discounts on RS products will be less generous this year, as they are desperate to get us all on the subscription..
yeah I was gonna make a topic for when it begins , and about that we gotta wait and see , Im sure theres gonna be some gret stuff on sale anyways like how it was in the past weeks and months , ( Robotic Bean for example )

challism

11 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
11 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
11 May 2021

yeah I was gonna make a topic for when it begins , and about that we gotta wait and see , Im sure theres gonna be some gret stuff on sale anyways like how it was in the past weeks and months , ( Robotic Bean for example )

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg
external-content.duckduckgo.jpg (8.27 KiB) Viewed 2119 times

bidaar

11 May 2021

challism wrote:
11 May 2021
bidaar wrote:
11 May 2021

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg
Right now or whenever it begins ? I personally wouldnt mind do it right now too because it could be a heads up . also please read my previous comment I listed my players and I bought Auto Latch !

JunctionArsonist

12 May 2021

Simple or deep diving, subtle or dramatic effects.

Great RE player.

• Information