Request moving knobs

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
sdst
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2021

why the knobs don't move?

why only through the combinator you can see something moving?

if i connect an LFO I want to see what are doing

let things move

jam-s

30 Apr 2021

That's because CV and automation are two different things and it's good that way. One could think about adding a kind of overlay that could show the effective parameter value after CV has been applied, but it would be hard to do it in way that would not break the look of the virtual hardware rack too much.

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Apr 2021

sdst wrote:
30 Apr 2021
why the knobs don't move?

why only through the combinator you can see something moving?

if i connect an LFO I want to see what are doing
Because the Combinator controls the actual underlying property of a knob, while the CV inputs represent an additional "correction" property, which adds to that of the knob. You don't need a CV input to automate device parameters, and the only way to do it aside from the sequencer lanes is the Combinator.

Loque

30 Apr 2021

Creating movement via CV without the UI elements moving is one of the strengths of Reason IMO. But i must agree, that this confused me a bit in the beginning too.
Reason12, Win10

sdst
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2021

jam-s wrote:
30 Apr 2021
That's because CV and automation are two different things and it's good that way. One could think about adding a kind of overlay that could show the effective parameter value after CV has been applied, but it would be hard to do it in way that would not break the look of the virtual hardware rack too much.
but maybe when something is connected via cv do not allow automation on that knob

it would be good to just connect and see the things moving

selig
RE Developer

30 Apr 2021

sdst wrote:
30 Apr 2021

but maybe when something is connected via cv do not allow automation on that knob

it would be good to just connect and see the things moving
That would not make sense - automation moves faders (think mixers with moving faders), CV moves parameters (think modular synths).
The best example I often give is if you modulate pitch, say you add vibrato with an LFO, which knob should move? There isn’t a knob for overall pitch in most synths. I think of it this way: automation moves controls, CV affects parameters. Sometimes there;s a knob that directly relates to a parameter, sometimes not. Add to that the fact you can apply CV BEYOND the range of the control/knobs in many synths with no way to show that if moving the knob.

I do agree that ideally there should be SOME way of visualizing the affect of CV on parameters, but moving the knob is not the best way IMO. Check out how synths like Massive and Pigments address this dilemma, my two favorites at visualizing modulation at present.
Selig Audio, LLC

sdst
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2021

selig wrote:
30 Apr 2021
That would not make sense - automation moves faders (think mixers with moving faders), CV moves parameters (think modular synths).
ok now i understand thanks

maybe they can put some indicator on the knob, showing movement

but this is not essential, I know there are more necessary things

Bes
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2021

there are plenty of cv monitor re's, some of them might even be free? just before the cv's final destination use a cv spider to clone the signal and send it to a monitor and you will be able to visualise what happening :)
- Certified Reason expert

BRIGGS

30 Apr 2021

r11s

• Information