Reason's sequencer with layers

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Rising Night Wave

30 Apr 2021

Hi.

I just came across with an idea that sequencer would have layers.
What do you think?

I would find this totally awesome! It would be a great benefit for workflow with clips.
Damn boy I would like to see Reason would have this!
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

selig
RE Developer

30 Apr 2021

Note lanes doesn’t give you this, or is there more to the idea than that?
Selig Audio, LLC

client6

30 Apr 2021

I think they mean something the way IK Multimedia or Brainworx have settings banks (A,B,C,D) for their plugins. More global than notes lanes.

At least I could see this way being useful/easier for experimenting, A/Bing and rather than versioning every file.

Rising Night Wave

30 Apr 2021

ok. here is a quick photoshop preview of what do i mean with layers:

Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

R303

30 Apr 2021

It’s like blocks.

selig
RE Developer

30 Apr 2021

Still not sure I follow, do you mean like groups, or do you mean to stack instruments (like in a Combinator)?
Can you give an example of a use case, I'm intrigued by the possible interpretations of the concept.
Selig Audio, LLC

Lempface

30 Apr 2021

Generally when you have an idea for a feature you should state a fully fleshed out idea. All we can see right now are tabs on the sequencer but you've not stated why this would be a good feature or what workflow issue you're attempting to overcome with it.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

zoidkirb

30 Apr 2021

Is this MIDI Comping lanes? If so, bring it on, that's right near the top of my requests.

deeplink
Competition Winner

01 May 2021

I think OP's idea is like Blocks that can run simultaneously on top of each other?

IMO - I've never liked blocks. It just adds more screen variations. More 'places' to manage the contents of. It just creates extra steps.

I would prefer just linked clips and track folders - which would increase the workflow, as per my calculations, by 1 billion percent.

Also it would be great you can Audio Mute/Solo a track from the Sequencer
Also it would be great if you could better manage players from the Sequencer. Right now, if you have a player running, you can't mute it from the Sequencer. (Unless you create a separate device for just the player.

Sorry I went on a tangent.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

guitfnky

01 May 2021

deeplink wrote:
01 May 2021
I think OP's idea is like Blocks that can run simultaneously on top of each other?

IMO - I've never liked blocks. It just adds more screen variations. More 'places' to manage the contents of. It just creates extra steps.
I'm confused...how does a completely optional feature create extra steps? it's a tool for arranging multiple tracks without having to micromanage individual clips, but for those who prefer to do that, Blocks can be turned off entirely.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

deeplink
Competition Winner

01 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
01 May 2021
deeplink wrote:
01 May 2021

I'm confused...how does a completely optional feature create extra steps? it's a tool for arranging multiple tracks without having to micromanage individual clips, but for those who prefer to do that, Blocks can be turned off entirely.
When I optionally decided to use Blocks, I didn't like it and I felt it created more screen variations and extra steps.

I don't consider that RS should remove it, as there are plenty of RS users who do rely on it.
Also right now its the only way to add 'track markers' into the main view of the sequencer.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

guitfnky

01 May 2021

deeplink wrote:
01 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
01 May 2021

When I optionally decided to use Blocks, I didn't like it and I felt it created more screen variations and extra steps.

I don't consider that RS should remove it, as there are plenty of RS users who do rely on it.
Also right now its the only way to add 'track markers' into the main view of the sequencer.
ah, gotcha. 👍

in that sense you're lucky—you get to use "markers", while people like me, who rely on Blocks, are still stuck with a couple of dumb L/R locators. 😅 still blows my mind that we still don't even have markers.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

orthodox
RE Developer

01 May 2021

deeplink wrote:
01 May 2021
Overlapping blocks? I've been asking this for years. This and an option to trigger them from MIDI, like Ableton Sessions.

• Information