Discuss VST stuff here!
Despondo
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2021

New one from Rob Papen... Intro price of $29

https://www.robpapen.com/DelSane.html

dvdrtldg

30 Apr 2021

Interesting - probably won't buy it, but it's amazing how devs keep coming up with delay units that make you want to get "just one more", even though you've already got five hundred of the things

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2021

I really can’t get past the GUIs. I’ve got the eXplorer bundle and I don’t have a single plugin installed. Same as the REs. I know they’re great plugins but for me the GUI just stops me.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

30 Apr 2021

I quite like RP's stuff but I'm so uninterested in yet another delay plugin that I can't even be bothered to watch the promo to see what they claim is new or unique! Sorry RP. :(

Loque

30 Apr 2021

DaveyG wrote:
30 Apr 2021
I quite like RP's stuff but I'm so uninterested in yet another delay plugin that I can't even be bothered to watch the promo to see what they claim is new or unique! Sorry RP. :(
Same here. You missed nothing.

And i was thinking to grab the E6 bundle now, but than i remembered, that every time i touch a RP device i find bugs, so i moved on...
Reason12, Win10

dezma

07 May 2021

Loque wrote:
30 Apr 2021
DaveyG wrote:
30 Apr 2021
Same here. You missed nothing.

And i was thinking to grab the E6 bundle now, but than i remembered, that every time i touch a RP device i find bugs, so i moved on...
I didn't find a lot of bugs tbh, and Rob is very helpful and friendly in support so I'd assume reporting it would result in a rather quick fix.
That being said I also kind of agree with mrFigg the GUI's are not that attractive/intuitive. Everything is just so tiny, barely readable and has this 90's look. The only more or less okay layout is go2. You just don't get drawn into the synths. And sometimes things could be implemented way easier like the punch2 wav slicing, wav import etc.
Finally, instead of having 300 different synths with each time 3 different buttons and some other colors, I'd prefer having an all-in-one workstation like avenger combining synthesis types.

integerpoet

07 May 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
30 Apr 2021
Interesting - probably won't buy it, but it's amazing how devs keep coming up with delay units that make you want to get "just one more", even though you've already got five hundred of the things
I actually thought this had some potential for someone who struggles with drums (i.e. me). Somehow I have not connected with the stock delays for that task, including The Echo. So I'm interested in what you (or anybody else) thinks are the best of those 500. Because clearly I have something to learn about this niche.

Loque

07 May 2021

integerpoet wrote:
07 May 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
30 Apr 2021
I actually thought this had some potential for someone who struggles with drums (i.e. me). Somehow I have not connected with the stock delays for that task, including The Echo. So I'm interested in what you (or anybody else) thinks are the best of those 500. Because clearly I have something to learn about this niche.
Tbh, "The Echo" is clearly the top one for me. It is more versatile than most other Delays. It just lacks a bit more short delay times and more CV control.
The 2nd delay i use is EchoBoy, just for the sound. After that its quite random, since they all sound quite similar. Maybe i can count khs Delay on #3, because i use it quite often in their eco system. I should use Le Space more often, yea...
Reason12, Win10

integerpoet

07 May 2021

Loque wrote:
07 May 2021
integerpoet wrote:
07 May 2021

Tbh, "The Echo" is clearly the top one for me. It is more versatile than most other Delays. It just lacks a bit more short delay times and more CV control.
The 2nd delay i use is EchoBoy, just for the sound. After that its quite random, since they all sound quite similar. Maybe i can count khs Delay on #3, because i use it quite often in their eco system. I should use Le Space more often, yea...
DelSane appears to be consciously/explicitly emulating tape, which I suppose has timbral implications important for some but not me. I was looking more at as a way to create interesting rhythmic variations without having any rhythmic chops of my own. :-) I haven't much luck doing that with The Echo but perhaps I should try harder.

dvdrtldg

14 May 2021

integerpoet wrote:
07 May 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
30 Apr 2021
I'm not a huge fan of The Echo. I know others love it and I do use it sometimes, but it lacks a lot of features that I like and the filter lacks punch. FWIW here's my top 5:

1. Valhalla Delay. Very tweakable, super versatile, great UI, very reasonably priced. Can do anything from clean pristine delays to weirded out soundscapes, lots of fun and fast to work with

2. Soundtoys Echoboy. Another Swiss army knife delay that does more or less everything, a bit more "traditional" than the Valhalla and colours the sound

3. Audio Thing Outer Space. Modeled on the Roland RE-201 Space Echo, very tapey sound, great for vintage dub styles

4. Sonic Charge Echobode. Use it as a nice clean delay unit or get freaky with the frequency shifter. I prefer the VST version because it has a "Smear" function that adds gradual diffusion to the delay loop - the RE doesn't have this

5. Jiggery Pokery Steerpike. This one's a bit over-engineered imo and the UI is very fiddly, but I like that you can insert an effect into the delay loop (Steerpike's little brother Titus lets you do this too). If you really want six delay lines, Steerpike's got them

Honourable mentions:

Waves H-Delay. Great traditional analogue sounding delay, well worth picking up for $29 when it goes on sale

D16 Group Sigmund. This one got offered as a freebie a while back, I grabbed it and haven't yet sat down with the manual, it's very complex and takes some figuring out. But every time I pull it out & start fucking around with it more or less randomly, I get very excited. It's a monster, with a very unique feature set

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
30 Apr 2021
I really can’t get past the GUIs. I’ve got the eXplorer bundle and I don’t have a single plugin installed. Same as the REs. I know they’re great plugins but for me the GUI just stops me.
I have them installed, plus a bunch of re's, and thought i really like RP's stuff, i feel The Gui's are quite confusing, but the worse are the Synths.

Gladly, the RE versions are not as bad. And Go2 doesn't have that problem.

integerpoet

14 May 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
14 May 2021
integerpoet wrote:
07 May 2021
…I'm interested in what you (or anybody else) thinks are the best of those 500. Because clearly I have something to learn about this niche.
FWIW here's my top 5…
Thanks. Much appreciated. I will investigate these ASAP.

Soeno

15 May 2021

i like the new Fabfilter delay Timeless 3

• Information