Delta MIDI Computer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
freshkidblaze

28 Apr 2021

Socram wrote:
27 Apr 2021
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Apr 2021
Awesome! Still hoping for a custom delay node! ;)
That feature is (finally) coming in this update as well, I really appreciate your patience I'm pretty sure I told you a year ago or something it was coming soon :oops:
Is delta going to be on sale again any time soon?

MannequinRaces

28 Apr 2021

freshkidblaze wrote:
28 Apr 2021
Socram wrote:
27 Apr 2021

That feature is (finally) coming in this update as well, I really appreciate your patience I'm pretty sure I told you a year ago or something it was coming soon :oops:
Is delta going to be on sale again any time soon?
May Madness... not much longer to wait. :)

phithegoldenratio

29 Apr 2021

Delta IS a treasure!

one thing I am wondering is if there is any way to get (some of) nodes parameters automatable...

I understand, most common/efficient way to use Delta may be: wire up and then bounce MIDI to track.

I just like grooving around with it and wish I could record parameter changes while doing so.. Especially on the Delay node :D

challism

29 Apr 2021

phithegoldenratio wrote:
29 Apr 2021
Delta IS a treasure!

one thing I am wondering is if there is any way to get (some of) nodes parameters automatable...

I understand, most common/efficient way to use Delta may be: wire up and then bounce MIDI to track.

I just like grooving around with it and wish I could record parameter changes while doing so.. Especially on the Delay node :D
I agree that automation of parameters would be amazing. There is so much going on under the hood in Delta, I think adding automation opens it up to a lot of unforeseen internal problems (such as bugs or conflicts).

One instance of Delta will support up to 50 nodes, so how about instead of automation, you build a few different identical chains (with just slightly different settings) and throw a switch (or multiple switches) at the beginning of the identical chains. This will at least give you some variation. And don't forget, you can stack multiple instances of Delta, too. Building a massive player stack with different variations of Delta could be a way to fake automating the nodes. Combine them with some instances of LoveOne's MIDI-CV Converter (slaves placed under each Delta, sending notes to the master placed above the instrument) , Le Note's Received Note (turned off, to stop the notes from passing down the player stack) and even throw in Robotic Bean's CV Select Switch to switch between the different Delta's notes. The back of Reason's rack is so much fun.

Here's a little combi I just made to show what I'm talking about. There aren't any differences in the nodes, and delay probably isn't the best example to use for this. But this should give you an idea of what I'm talking about doing.
something like this.zip
(13.08 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Stygian Abyss

03 May 2021

challism wrote:
29 Apr 2021
I agree that automation of parameters would be amazing. There is so much going on under the hood in Delta, I think adding automation opens it up to a lot of unforeseen internal problems (such as bugs or conflicts).
I suppose that the main problem with automation in Delta would be that, unlike a standard synth or player interface, the interface controls are created dynamicly by the user. As a comparison, in a VST like Reaktor, there is a pool of pre-existing MIDI automation controls, each having an unique number, and those controls are allocated to the created user interface items using a table.

Is a similar implementation possible under the current RE SDK ? All I can say is that I doubt it, or that it must be very complex to achieve, and that such a system is not very user-friendly.

That's the main reason why I suggested the addition of CV sensitivity to the If and Switch nodes to Marcos. If you can't automate inside Delta, you may instead easily do it inside any CV generator tool plugged to it, which solves at least partially the problem.

Meanwhile, the workaround suggestions you offered are really valuable, especially the combination of several Delta with MIDI-CV Converter. :thumbup:

selig
RE Developer

03 May 2021

re: automation...
What if you added 4-8 static rotaries (macro controls) like a Combinator/Thor, which could then be automated and might also be handy for global control of multiple parameters? Forgive me if this is already possible (or for some reasons is NOT possible!).
Selig Audio, LLC

Socram
RE Developer

05 May 2021

Stygian Abyss wrote:
03 May 2021
I suppose that the main problem with automation in Delta would be that, unlike a standard synth or player interface, the interface controls are created dynamicly by the user.
You basically hit the nail on the head with this observation, and unfortunately the SDK does not provide an out of the box solution for tackling this issue of automating "custom display" controls, which basically Delta is made entirely of.
selig wrote:
03 May 2021
re: automation...
What if you added 4-8 static rotaries (macro controls) like a Combinator/Thor, which could then be automated and might also be handy for global control of multiple parameters? Forgive me if this is already possible (or for some reasons is NOT possible!).
Hey Selig, appreciate you chiming in, love your REs! I've had this exact idea since basically V1.0 came out, and haven't ruled it out. It would however require a pretty heavy overhaul of some core systems driving Delta, and I assume would require a pretty involved UI/UX as well. I'll never say never, but I'm going to start with these CV ideas and see where that gets us.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Billy+

07 Jun 2021

Finally added Delt to my studio, crazy fun utility :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

spencer335

09 Jun 2021

Hi new Delta owner since May Madness - very happy!

In a use case where I'm feeding Delta with chords (perhaps through Scales & Chords or maybe an arpeggiator) is it possible to alter specific notes in the chord? I'm thinking IF/THEN statements like:
if 3 concurrent notes are input, then raise the highest note by a major 2nd
if 2 or more concurrent notes are input, then replace the 2nd lowest note with a B3
etc.

There's probably some nuance around whether the notes need to start at exactly the same time ...

Is the possible with current tools or a future node?

challism

13 Jun 2021

spencer335 wrote:
09 Jun 2021
Hi new Delta owner since May Madness - very happy!

In a use case where I'm feeding Delta with chords (perhaps through Scales & Chords or maybe an arpeggiator) is it possible to alter specific notes in the chord? I'm thinking IF/THEN statements like:
if 3 concurrent notes are input, then raise the highest note by a major 2nd
if 2 or more concurrent notes are input, then replace the 2nd lowest note with a B3
etc.

There's probably some nuance around whether the notes need to start at exactly the same time ...

Is the possible with current tools or a future node?
Congrats on your Delta purchase and welcome to the club!

Yes, Delta can do this. There are many ways you could build this, but my first thought was this: You can use a sequential switch. Since Scales & Chords will consistently create chords with the same number of notes, it's fairly easy to modify a specific note from each chord. Take a Major triad, for instance. You could run the 1 and 5 notes directly to the output while sending the 3 note thru a transpose node. Chords created by Sc&Chs should be routed thru Delta's sequential switch with the lowest notes being fed into the highest switch step out... so....
bass note -> switch step 1 out
next lowest note -> switch step 2 out
next lowest note -> switch step 3 out
next lowest note -> switch step 4 out and so on
Example

An interesting method to experiment with: Try using more switch steps than you have notes in the chord. This could give you variations as it cycles thru the different steps, sending different note numbers from each chord to the transpose node.

Of course, with Delta you can make this as complicated as you want. You could have the switch steps feeding other switch steps, so that maybe only one or two of the notes of every 4 bars will be transposed.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (146.85 KiB) Viewed 4610 times

MannequinRaces

13 Jun 2021

When is the next update coming out or did I miss it?!

spencer335

13 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
13 Jun 2021

Yes, Delta can do this.
Challism - thank you. I didn't understand the Sequential switch until now ... and that little experiment you suggested of mismatching the number of notes in the chord and switch has some great possibilities too.

Fantastic Rack Extension!

Socram
RE Developer

13 Jun 2021

Thank you Challism for an excellent explanation, appreciate it!
MannequinRaces wrote:
13 Jun 2021
Its still in development, I've got the CV features mostly working how I want but want to add a few more unrelated requests (such as custom delay times). Life is busy right now and I can only work on Static Cling in spare time, so hard to guess an ETA but its closer than ever ;)
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

MannequinRaces

13 Jun 2021

Socram wrote:
13 Jun 2021
Thank you Challism for an excellent explanation, appreciate it!
MannequinRaces wrote:
13 Jun 2021
Its still in development, I've got the CV features mostly working how I want but want to add a few more unrelated requests (such as custom delay times). Life is busy right now and I can only work on Static Cling in spare time, so hard to guess an ETA but its closer than ever ;)
Thank you. Appreciate the update!

spencer335

13 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
13 Jun 2021

Example

Your answer was so clear that I was able to get the results that I wanted right away. Just a note to let you know that I went back to this post later in the day to see the video you'd posted and realized that you'd created this Youtube video just today for my benefit . That was especially nice of you!

challism

13 Jun 2021

spencer335 wrote:
13 Jun 2021
challism wrote:
13 Jun 2021

Example

Your answer was so clear that I was able to get the results that I wanted right away. Just a note to let you know that I went back to this post later in the day to see the video you'd posted and realized that you'd created this Youtube video just today for my benefit . That was especially nice of you!
I'm very happy to help. It's not a big deal to videograb my screen and post to youtube. And, in all honestly, I love helping solve problems and finding solutions inside Reason. Sometimes it's a fun challenge and sometimes it's an easy answer, but it is always fun and it often becomes a source of inspiration and develops into a new song. So I quite enjoy helping out in this way.

Here's the patch that your question inspired me to build yesterday.
DeltaFlight1207.zip
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2021

Delta is great. I created a fun more functional "rotator" for some ewi craziness using the transposes, together with other players.

One thing that would be great was having both expression based transformations (breath, aftertouch, exp). They are now all velocity based.

challism

14 Jun 2021

mcatalao wrote:
14 Jun 2021
Delta is great. I created a fun more functional "rotator" for some ewi craziness using the transposes, together with other players.

One thing that would be great was having both expression based transformations (breath, aftertouch, exp). They are now all velocity based.
So adding some kind of velocity cv out?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
14 Jun 2021
mcatalao wrote:
14 Jun 2021

So adding some kind of velocity cv out?
No. Velocity is one hit, breath, aftertouch and exp is over time. Ideally something that can identify the expression changes, transform them and pass it along (imagine transposing different degrees on the same hit note on other stuff inside a combi... ). I'm doing that with EXP1 Expression Processor, but it's only expression to cv.

Expression modifiers have huge interpretation value, they make you sound a lot more natural. In my case with wind instruments, the amount of dynamic control is HUGE!!!

Billy+

15 Jun 2021

So I've got this nice helpful diagram and wondered if there is a way to make delta take incoming midi notes and choose new (replace) and or next notes in a similar fashion.

Like a Mutator but with a more refined approach.

IMG_2729.JPG
IMG_2729.JPG (76.27 KiB) Viewed 4348 times

Socram
RE Developer

16 Jun 2021

mcatalao wrote:
14 Jun 2021

I will double check this but last time I looked into it I was saddened to discover Players do not get access to any expression input.
Billy+ wrote:
15 Jun 2021
So I've got this nice helpful diagram and wondered if there is a way to make delta take incoming midi notes and choose new (replace) and or next notes in a similar fashion.
Help me understand the proposal,

Do you want a Node that steps through *individual* notes in the pattern of root note diatonic chord progressions? Or do you want it to go ahead and generate chords? Or am I totally misunderstanding?

I actually have a patch that does something like this, albeit manually set up. I forget the name of the patch and I'm not able to check it right now, but its in the Chords folder and called "One Finger I-V-VII-iv" or something like that.

If my interpretation is correct, I actually have a concept for this sort of Node already mocked up in my head, and I will add a vote to it in the feature request tracker. If my interpretation was wrong please let me know.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Billy+

16 Jun 2021

Socram wrote:
16 Jun 2021

Help me understand the proposal,

Do you want a Node that steps through *individual* notes in the pattern of root note diatonic chord progressions? Or do you want it to go ahead and generate chords? Or am I totally misunderstanding?

I actually have a patch that does something like this, albeit manually set up. I forget the name of the patch and I'm not able to check it right now, but its in the Chords folder and called "One Finger I-V-VII-iv" or something like that.

If my interpretation is correct, I actually have a concept for this sort of Node already mocked up in my head, and I will add a vote to it in the feature request tracker. If my interpretation was wrong please let me know.
Yeah I'm trying to think of a good way to explain it.....

Let me try this way,
Say I have some midi already on a track maybe 4 bars either chords or single notes

It would be interesting to replace the notes or chords using a correct scale based off the flow in the diagram so any tonic could be replaced with any of tonic, subdominant could be switched as well as dominants.

Does that help?

I will try to check out the patch you suggest but that could be awhile before I get the chance, and thanks for the response :thumbs_up: And :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: for such an excellent tool :clap:

Socram
RE Developer

16 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
16 Jun 2021
It would be interesting to replace the notes or chords using a correct scale based off the flow in the diagram so any tonic could be replaced with any of tonic, subdominant could be switched as well as dominants.
Hmm okay maybe I'm misinterpreting (again) but this sounds more like generative musical randomization to add variety to a melody or chord progression, while staying in key?

This is an area Delta really excels already, and if that's more or less what you're picturing a couple ideas come to mind.

The simplest would be a Random Transpose that feeds into a Quantize Node set to the proper scale of the song.

You could add further control by using a Chance Switch node before the Random Transpose to only do random transpositions some of the time, but not all of the time. Depending on the % you go with this can go from a very subtle effect to a very dramatic one.

You could also make things less random by using Chance Switch to randomly transpose to specific diatonic transpose values such as octaves or 7ths. For even more controllable modification you could work in sequential switches and really get quite nuanced with the transpositions.

There should also be examples of these sorts of patches in the Chord and Melody folders
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

PhillipOrdonez

16 Jun 2021

Hey Socram, are there any plans for nodes that treat a chord as one event instead of 4 or 5 events (one event per note)?

challism

16 Jun 2021

I think the only way for him to build something like that would be to build some kind of timing node, which would allow all notes played within a certain amount of time to be treated the same way, as a group. Because nothing really happens exactly at the same time. A chord, when played, is played imperfectly, and there are slight variations in timing and velocity for each note, even for advanced players. And even for chords generated by sequencers, at least that's they way Reason handles them, as different events; two notes played at the same time with the same velocity are sent thru the instruments with a tiny delay between them. At least, that is how I understand it.

• Information