Some Matrix love...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tallguy

27 Apr 2021

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one that likes the Matrix Pattern Sequencer for quickly sketching out rhythmical ideas. At times it certainly feels like the red-headed stepchild in Reason's toolset. With no support for ReGroove mixer and Players, it feels like its been left behind quietly.

I know there are rack extensions like Kompulsion that are like Matrix on steroids, but I quit like the simplicity of the Matrix and its ability to copy a pattern to track.

16161d

27 Apr 2021

Before Evolution I would use it all the time with CV player tap and scales and chords to get something simple running and mess with randomising and altering it's patterns. Sometimes I still do if I want something very simple. It's a great goto device for generating some notes or even CV and has a great amount of pattern storage. I'm not a big fan of inputting notes though, I find myself rarely bothering to use more than the one octave.

tallguy

27 Apr 2021

Certainly a taller Matrix would be nice. Given how tall some rack items are these days, I don't think a Matrix with the ability to expand to a three octave view is too much

joeyluck

27 Apr 2021

I used it much more in the early days. I used to compose many of my songs using nothing but a Matrix on every instrument aside from Redrum. I would then sequence the patterns.

More than having more rows, I'd like the rows themselves to be taller and have more click area. It's so small. And a basic graphics update and zooming the entire device wouldn't be a fix for me, because I don't need to zoom the entire device, but just the display...

Or maybe they could make the Matrix display itself scalable 🤔 They could make it a 3U or 4U device and then give the user the option to use that extra space for scaling the rows or seeing more rows...

lowtom

27 Apr 2021

It's still the best option for me in terms of randomisation. Just select Matrix in Rack, hit Cmd/Ctrl+R, hit it again if I do not like it. Quick and easy. I love it!
I always pair Matrix with CV Tap and Scales & Chords Players to tame the output a little.

I also always use it if I need any quantised (1 bar) CV switching of anything.
:reason: :refill: :re:

killhamster

27 Apr 2021

I still use it pretty frequently to sketch out basslines and use its gate out to trigger Alligator gates in custom patterns. I'm sure there are player devices that work well for these things but it's super simple and familiar so it's my go-to.

arnigretar

27 Apr 2021

Still use it in every project. Classic utility that never fails. Basic and get's all the simple job done :thumbup:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

BRIGGS

27 Apr 2021

Matrix made me quit guitar.
r11s

dioxide

27 Apr 2021

I still use it in every track. In the past I actually used to write some complex musical lead lines with it, but it's mainly used as a step sequencer for synth riffs now. I rarely write synth / bass lines in the main sequencer, that's reserved for polyphonic lines or layered stuff. It also gets used for modulation.

Being able to use keyboard shortcuts for Copy / Paste / Shift UpDown / LR is the main reason it gets more use than other sequencers. It is extremely well thought out and that's why I'm still using it today. I'd like to see a Player version of it at some point.

DaveyG

27 Apr 2021

Apart from the (edited) screenshot in this thread I think the only time I have even seen a matrix in the last couple of years is when I have expanded someone else's combinator that includes one. It's just not a device I use any more.

plaamook

27 Apr 2021

Love it. Use it all the time on everything. Even just to set a sample looping. Simple and fast.
The new fangled sequencer devices are way more complex than I need, so I just stick w Matrix. But I'm always looking for new sequencers that could be an updated Matrix. Nothing so far.

Only real gripe is that it doesn’t have a free run mode.
That would be super handy because at the mo the only way to slow a pattern right down is to automate the song tempo and bounce an audio file. Pain in the arse.
Last edited by plaamook on 28 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

dvdrtldg

27 Apr 2021

I use it all the time for drones

Pick note, shift/drag all the way from L to R, shift/drag gate lengths to maximum, set pattern length to 32, resolution to 1/2, play. Takes like 5 seconds, toss in a pitch variation or two for atonal complexity. Love it

splitpen

28 Apr 2021

Would definitely use it more if it has a retrig option, same for Synchronous. Mostly use Korde from Electric Panda these days.
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

plaamook

28 Apr 2021

splitpen wrote: ↑
28 Apr 2021
Would definitely use it more if it has a retrig option, same for Synchronous. Mostly use Korde from Electric Panda these days.
Agreed.

Or here.

zoidkirb

28 Apr 2021

I used to want to use it but it was so small and fiddly. Nowadays Kompulsion covers it all and way more anyway.
I can't see Matrix ever getting an update, not when they can sell you a copy of Polystep instead.

plaamook

28 Apr 2021

It's interesting that there are so many people that like Matrix still. I figured I was the only one!
There are a few improvments that it could benifit from yet all the supersequencer REs and players kind of sail too far beyond it for some people's taste. I mean we're only talking about a handful of functions...

Retrig
Free run
Larger display
Higher resolution for Gate parameter
I wouldn't even add things like snap to scale or anything like that. Gotta be careful not to over design it.

Shame because I think there may not be proper updated Matrix on account all the other new gadgets available? Dunno.
I don't expect it from Props. They rarely update shit all. But a Matrix2 RE? Could a RE contain the key board shortcuts (copy paste shift pattern randomise etc) in it? That's a serious point if you're talking about Matrix IMO.

Or here.

tallguy

28 Apr 2021

plaamook wrote: ↑
28 Apr 2021
It's interesting that there are so many people that like Matrix still. I figured I was the only one!
There are a few improvments that it could benifit from yet all the supersequencer REs and players kind of sail too far beyond it for some people's taste. I mean we're only talking about a handful of functions...

Retrig
Free run
Larger display
Higher resolution for Gate parameter
I wouldn't even add things like snap to scale or anything like that. Gotta be careful not to over design it.

Shame because I think there may not be proper updated Matrix on account all the other new gadgets available? Dunno.
I don't expect it from Props. They rarely update shit all. But a Matrix2 RE? Could a RE contain the key board shortcuts (copy paste shift pattern randomise etc) in it? That's a serious point if you're talking about Matrix IMO.
Agreed, I find it quite heartening to see so much appreciation for Matrix. For me it’s things like its incompatibility with the ReGroove mixer that baffle me. Matrix is great for designing rhythmical phrases, it should be a perfect match for ReGroove. It wouldn’t even require changing the Matrix’s GUI.

Tiny Montgomery

28 Apr 2021

16161d wrote: ↑
27 Apr 2021
Before Evolution I would use it all the time with CV player tap and scales and chords to get something simple running and mess with randomising and altering it's patterns. Sometimes I still do if I want something very simple. It's a great goto device for generating some notes or even CV and has a great amount of pattern storage. I'm not a big fan of inputting notes though, I find myself rarely bothering to use more than the one octave.
My way of doing this is to create a combinator, put matrix on top and cable the note and gate CV from it to the combinator. Then put scales and chords inside the combinator first.

Is there more fun to be had getting CV player tap involved?

Rising Night Wave

28 Apr 2021

i am using matrix pattern sequencer from the beginning. i am not using notes at all.
and if i want to use more than one not at a time i use free of charge (from reason shop) cv player tap. - you can use more than one matrix for complex patterns.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

tallguy

28 Apr 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote: ↑
28 Apr 2021

My way of doing this is to create a combinator, put matrix on top and cable the note and gate CV from it to the combinator. Then put scales and chords inside the combinator first.
Nice one. Combinator to the rescue as always

plaamook

30 Apr 2021

For notes I've always used Matrix with Ochen K's CV Tuner. Easy. If I need to bounce the pattern to track I just run the noted through CV Tuner via switched off RPG-8. Also easy.

Or here.

Dionisio

30 Apr 2021

And a clock input would be a very welcome feature...

huggermugger

17 Jul 2021

Matrix is clunky and limited. Robotic Bean's Step sequencer goes miles beyond it, including note input from your keyboard, scales, and external clock input.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.43.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.43.54 AM.png (385.84 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.45.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.45.37 AM.png (907 KiB) Viewed 2125 times

plaamook

18 Jan 2022

Matrix 2.0 needs multiple outs. Why load and clutter up with spiders when you can just build it in to the fantasy M2

Or here.

tallguy

18 Jan 2022

plaamook wrote: ↑
18 Jan 2022
...Why load and clutter up with spiders when you can just build it in to the fantasy M2
We shouldn't need spiders at all. Multiple outputs from both audio and CV. I've seen it implemented in other apps, it can be done.

• Information