Could somebody make Softube Model 84 work on Reason 11?

Discuss VST stuff here!
GRB

24 Apr 2021

It seems its VST3 only, can't make it work on Reason even using Bluecat patchwork. It shows up in BC Patchwork but it doesn't sound at all.

I want to know if somebody has managed to get it work beucase I suspect the iLok protection and Softube Central software has something to do about it.

There was some screen saying it could not reach the auth server and I have to manually click on restart iLok service in Softube Central to sync licenses for Saturation Knob and other Softube VST plugins I have.

This thing sounds very like the real thing to me, as far as I can remember. I can accept using Patchwork to make it work in Reason as I do with Scaler 2, but have to manually start a service everytime just to make it work is out of the question :)
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

altron

25 Apr 2021

I just bought the Model 84 today and works fine for me in Reason 11. Maybe you have some trouble with iLok? I activated it directly on my PC through the iLok manager software. All sounds (almost) as pleasant as my original 106 as far as I can tell. Great addition!

The only flaw I noticed is that it seems that the UI upscaling isn't working as it's supposed to, all looks blurry and not sharp when scaling the UI up. It utilizes OpenGL for the UI so I'm not sure if this flaw is due to be Reason being the host but I also just tried the VST in REAPER and it's the same blurryness. Considering this review (youtu.be/duuUbFn7css?t=57) the UI is supposed to stay sharp even when up-scaled.
Trap is where music goes to die.

hurricane
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2021

GRB wrote:
24 Apr 2021
It seems its VST3 only, can't make it work on Reason even using Bluecat patchwork. It shows up in BC Patchwork but it doesn't sound at all.
I'm using it in R10 just fine. It's not VST3 only.

It definitely gets blurry when you enlarge it. I emailed the Softube guys and they seemed clueless about it. Said they're running the same setup that I'm running and that they're not seeing a problem. Wait and see....
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

altron

26 Apr 2021

hurricane wrote:
25 Apr 2021
GRB wrote:
24 Apr 2021
I'm using it in R10 just fine. It's not VST3 only.

It definitely gets blurry when you enlarge it. I emailed the Softube guys and they seemed clueless about it. Said they're running the same setup that I'm running and that they're not seeing a problem. Wait and see....
Interesting! I hope they can fix the unsharp UI issue because this is an awesome VST otherwise.

GRB

26 Apr 2021

altron wrote:
25 Apr 2021
I just bought the Model 84 today and works fine for me in Reason 11. Maybe you have some trouble with iLok? I activated it directly on my PC through the iLok manager software. All sounds (almost) as pleasant as my original 106 as far as I can tell. Great addition!

The only flaw I noticed is that it seems that the UI upscaling isn't working as it's supposed to, all looks blurry and not sharp when scaling the UI up. It utilizes OpenGL for the UI so I'm not sure if this flaw is due to be Reason being the host but I also just tried the VST in REAPER and it's the same blurryness. Considering this review (youtu.be/duuUbFn7css?t=57) the UI is supposed to stay sharp even when up-scaled.
It works now, found that if the VSTPlugins Softube folder is NOT in the path settings in Reason it doesnt work, I though you only have to tell the root folder and then it does a recursive search. Seems like a bug to me. (R11 latest version).

The sound is amazing although one thing that I've noticed is that every instance of Model 84 gets about 20% of CPU usage, that means I can only have 4 or 5 instances running untill my CPU gets 100% used...

Can yo utell me if this is happening to you? In Options now says Show CPU usage for devices (I belive its there since R11)

About the fuzzyness, Im on windows 1920 x 1080 on a 27" monitor using and nVidia card (OpenGL) it looks nice to me but perhaps my eyes are not the ones they used to be :) Anyway we talk about a plugin that has a couple of yelowish keys and a few dusty fingers printed back on the "surface" at the right. Even the promotional video is VHSish, it doesn't surprise me to found ot that the fuzzyness GUI is on purpose (it looks the same in Reaper turning on and off OpenGL).

IMPORTANT: There is algo a preset pack made by Matt Jhonson but there is also a problem when yoo try to load the big preset window, the fullscreen patch selector has its own window and I cant selet nothing there I have to close it down from the task bar. I can only select presets from the main GUI itself with the arrows < > and browsing the ones you see there, can't use tags or the extended view... is this a DEMO limitation?

Weel, it seems a lot of trouble to get it work properly but I insist because it sounds really really like the real thing as far as I can remember :puf_smile:
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

altron

26 Apr 2021

A single instance of Model 84 consumes about 16% of CPU on my system (i9-10900K) without playing anything so yes, the Model 84 is quite heavy on the CPU. Adding additional instances doesn't increase this, at least not while not playing but I'm sure more voice processing will add to that.

The aged look with yellow keys, finger prints, and scratches is intentional design. The look of the upscale blurryness is definitely not by design (see attached image).

The preset browser window works without problem here. Can't imagine this would be a demo limitation. It seems stupid to cripple features like that for a demo version.
Attachments
snag_20210426_0000.png
snag_20210426_0000.png (438.97 KiB) Viewed 746 times

• Information