CV Tool Bundle by Tonicmint soon...

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DJMaytag

17 Apr 2021

16161d wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2021
CV Pistons has me a bit lost still but I'm having fun exploring it, would be good to see/hear how others are using it.
I'm setting it up with the frequency spread such that it is (as I understand it) an octature LFO (0, 45, 90, 135, 180, etc) or simply using it to do polyrhythmic modulation on one instrument (4 bar filter sweep, 3/4 bar PWM modulation, 2/5 bar modulation of an envelope decay via a combinator etc).

Things like the Noise Engineering RE's that are rather boring without external modulation come alive when using multiple LFO's from CV Pistons.

PhillipOrdonez

17 Apr 2021

It would be great to know what the others actually do. Pistons and the pad, I get. I've tried the other ones and I have no clue what to do with them πŸ˜‚

16161d

17 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2021
It would be great to know what the others actually do. Pistons and the pad, I get. I've tried the other ones and I have no clue what to do with them πŸ˜‚
You should check out the videos for each of them on the store pages, they're brilliantly put together to give you a really cool demonstration of how they work using a simple tone as the CV signal, so you can see and also hear the changes being applied very clearly. It's good as a quick overview, but definitely room for more in-depth videos.

16161d

17 Apr 2021

DJMaytag wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2021
I'm setting it up with the frequency spread such that it is (as I understand it) an octature LFO (0, 45, 90, 135, 180, etc) or simply using it to do polyrhythmic modulation on one instrument (4 bar filter sweep, 3/4 bar PWM modulation, 2/5 bar modulation of an envelope decay via a combinator etc).

Things like the Noise Engineering RE's that are rather boring without external modulation come alive when using multiple LFO's from CV Pistons.
I hadn't considered using them rhythmically, to be honest I've mostly been using the mix CV output for interesting custom LFO's, but maybe the strength is in using the individual LFO's and how they interact with each other to create interesting synchronised patterns across multiple parameters.

DJMaytag

17 Apr 2021

17 Apr 2021
CV Origami is a wave shaper for CV's. If you're not familiar with waveshaping, use an RE like Skope to visualize the processing. Send a simple sine wave LFO into CV Origami, and start with something like FOLD processing, which folds the top and bottom of the waveform over on itself. The point is to create much more complex LFO shapes than a basic sine wave. Using other modulation CV's to modulate that wave shaping REALLY animates the sound in a lively way.

CV Shades is "simply" a CV mixer, but has modulation inputs to shape that CV mixing.

CV Witch is Boolean logic module... and I have absolutely no idea how to explain it and only have a rough idea how to use it. :)

PhillipOrdonez

17 Apr 2021

17 Apr 2021
17 Apr 2021
You should check out the videos for each of them on the store pages, they're brilliantly put together to give you a really cool demonstration of how they work using a simple tone as the CV signal, so you can see and also hear the changes being applied very clearly. It's good as a quick overview, but definitely room for more in-depth videos.
I did, and still got no clue how to use them in the real world πŸ˜‚

PhillipOrdonez

17 Apr 2021

:thumbup:
17 Apr 2021
17 Apr 2021
CV Origami is a wave shaper for CV's. If you're not familiar with waveshaping, use an RE like Skope to visualize the processing. Send a simple sine wave LFO into CV Origami, and start with something like FOLD processing, which folds the top and bottom of the waveform over on itself. The point is to create much more complex LFO shapes than a basic sine wave. Using other modulation CV's to modulate that wave shaping REALLY animates the sound in a lively way.

CV Shades is "simply" a CV mixer, but has modulation inputs to shape that CV mixing.

CV Witch is Boolean logic module... and I have absolutely no idea how to explain it and only have a rough idea how to use it. :)
Thanks for that!

How does a CV mixer work? What's the point? You mix two different shapes and get a third shape? How's that different from origami? In both you end up with a new shape, right?

Which shapes spend more time in the middle than in the extremes? I hate it when LFO s go from one end to the other and stay there forever, when the good stuff happens in the middle But they go over it quickly πŸ˜‘

That third one sounds complicated πŸ˜‚

DJMaytag

17 Apr 2021

17 Apr 2021
How does a CV mixer work? What's the point? You mix two different shapes and get a third shape? How's that different from origami? In both you end up with a new shape, right?
There's more than one way to get to a solution in the hardware modular world. There were inspired by Euroack modules for Mutable Instruments and DivKid's OCHD.

Mixing CV can be done in a lot of ways, like adding two static voltages, or multiplying two LFO's (ie ring mod) to create an interesting shaped evolving LFO (especially when using LFO's with different shapes and rates). Using a CV scope RE is a great way to see in real time what's happening, and I'm sure it is possible to get the same results from different modules in this bundle, but how easy it is to do so might be very different.
17 Apr 2021
Which shapes spend more time in the middle than in the extremes? I hate it when LFO s go from one end to the other and stay there forever, when the good stuff happens in the middle But they go over it quickly πŸ˜‘
That's where CV Ranger comes in handy. I've found it VERY frustrating to not have offset & attenuation/attenuversion in Reason to deal with those CV signals that you might want to only be positive or not "hit the ceiling" such that there is no modulation happening for half of the cycle.

PhillipOrdonez

17 Apr 2021

17 Apr 2021
17 Apr 2021
There's more than one way to get to a solution in the hardware modular world. There were inspired by Euroack modules for Mutable Instruments and DivKid's OCHD.

Mixing CV can be done in a lot of ways, like adding two static voltages, or multiplying two LFO's (ie ring mod) to create an interesting shaped evolving LFO (especially when using LFO's with different shapes and rates). Using a CV scope RE is a great way to see in real time what's happening, and I'm sure it is possible to get the same results from different modules in this bundle, but how easy it is to do so might be very different.
17 Apr 2021
That's where CV Ranger comes in handy. I've found it VERY frustrating to not have offset & attenuation/attenuversion in Reason to deal with those CV signals that you might want to only be positive or not "hit the ceiling" such that there is no modulation happening for half of the cycle.
Thank you for your answer, DJMaytag

geronimo

18 Apr 2021

In the ReasonStudios shop, at the very beginning of the product sheet, CV Ranger is mentioned and then you talk about CV Shades; surprising !

Bes
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2021

geronimo wrote: ↑
18 Apr 2021
In the ReasonStudios shop, at the very beginning of the product sheet, CV Ranger is mentioned and then you talk about CV Shades; surprising !
oh yep, cv ranger does work as a bi - uni converter and polarisation inverter so the text is true for the device but good catch Vil might want to correct that
- Certified Reason expert

arnigretar

20 Apr 2021

Great stuff! :clap:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

challism

21 Apr 2021

Is this bundle going to be in the MMadness sale?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2021

challism wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2021
Hahahahahaha. I wondered who would mention MM first.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

DJMaytag

21 Apr 2021

$59 is an absolute BARGAIN for this whole bundle!!! I thought this was a no-brainer purchase price?

challism

22 Apr 2021

21 Apr 2021
$59 is an absolute BARGAIN for this whole bundle!!! I thought this was a no-brainer purchase price?
Sure, $59 is a good price for the bundle. But with MM coming up, it's worth it for me to wait and see if it goes on sale for a bit less. Waiting for a potential sale price, right around the corner, is also a no-brainer, if you ask me. :)
MrFigg wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2021
21 Apr 2021
I didn't want to leave you wondering any longer.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

22 Apr 2021
21 Apr 2021

You have no idea how close I came to doing it myself.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

challism

22 Apr 2021

22 Apr 2021
22 Apr 2021

Well now I'm the one left wondering.

I have to say that Pistons looks so cool. Probably the most interesting one to me in this bundle. Buying Pistons alone seems silly, though, when the I could have the whole bundle for just a bit more. I'll wait for MM and see what happens, but I'll be picking this bundle soon, either way. I'm sure the other CV tools in this kit are great.

DJMaytag

22 Apr 2021

22 Apr 2021
I have to say that Pistons looks so cool. Probably the most interesting one to me in this bundle. Buying Pistons alone seems silly, though, when the I could have the whole bundle for just a bit more. I'll wait for MM and see what happens, but I'll be picking this bundle soon, either way. I'm sure the other CV tools in this kit are great.
CV Pistons wasn't on my radar, as I bought the whole bundle primarily to get CV Ranger and CV Shades, and hoped CV Origami would be useful. CV Pistons is now one of my favorite RE's! The piece of hardware that inspired CV Pistons is about $200, so really all of these RE's seem quite cheap in comparison to hardware modular gear.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

22 Apr 2021
22 Apr 2021

Well now I'm the one left wondering.

Yep. Pistons is my favourite.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

22 Apr 2021

My favourite too.

bidaar

22 Apr 2021

17 Apr 2021
Ridiculous value here. This covers a wide variety of CV needs.

I'm particularly enjoying CV Pad mapped to my ROLI Lightpad, it's not just good for live control but also great at creating interesting random CV generation by tweaking things like laziness and randomness and using satellite CV outputs.

CV Pistons has me a bit lost still but I'm having fun exploring it, would be good to see/hear how others are using it. CV Ranger is really useful for simply clamping CV values which I've been missing. CV Shades is great for expanding combinator controls and I'll be using it to do a lot of interesting mappings. I've also wanted to mess with boolean operators in the rack for a long time now and Witches gives me plenty to play with. The visual feedback on Origami is really great for understanding how you're shaping your signal.
wooow ! we can make our cv patterns with Rolies by touching and playing with our finger moves Now Even need one more :o
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

mjxl

25 Apr 2021

@Vil: any chance that you could add CV inputs on the back of Pistons, to control all the parameters from there?!
That would be great imho, was messing around with it a bit today, and came accross the combinators limitations once again. (The list is too short lol)

Otherwise I will have to resolve to MIDI I guess :)

Vil
RE Developer

26 Apr 2021

mjxl wrote: ↑
25 Apr 2021
@Vil: any chance that you could add CV inputs on the back of Pistons, to control all the parameters from there?!
That would be great imho, was messing around with it a bit today, and came accross the combinators limitations once again. (The list is too short lol)

Otherwise I will have to resolve to MIDI I guess :)
Absolutely valid question, but my current answer is no. Sorry :( ( I mean in the near future )
This is a design decision, to keep this device simple and easy understandable... (as possible... :) )
So you have to live with this, or you have to find a workaround....

but I don't promise i won't change mind later :)

btw thank you guys, good to read there are many of you who play with cvs and find my tools useful..

DJMaytag

26 Apr 2021

Vil wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2021
btw thank you guys, good to read there are many of you who play with cvs and find my tools useful..
Unique tools like this aren't just useful. These are the sort of things that make Reason so special and FUN. IMHO, there's no money in 1:1 ports of existing VST's to the RE format (just buy the VST!), but there ought to be a a decent amount of sales in tools like this that really can't exist as a VST. At least for me, that's where I am spending the bulk of money right now, on CV tools.

• Information