How to FM audio signal from some RE?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Imaginary191
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

Maybe this is obvious, but I can not find a way to do this easily. There is this vst synth "FRMS", it has granular oscillators and regular ones and allows FM from one to another. I want to replicate this in Reason using Grain, for example. How can I FM outcoming audio from Grain with some basic waveforms for example? I read about Thor, but it has only AM for audio signal if I understand correctly? Is there some RE for this?

Loque

22 Apr 2021

You can FM any signal from outside with an internal signal in Thor. This must be done via the external inputs of Thor and modulation through the Modulation Matrix.

There are also some RE, synths and VSTs which allow some kind of FM or a bit more special things.
This one here for example can FM quite a lot of sources:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

You should note, that there are also some stock devices, which allow FM, but its not the FM you are looking forward. Just look at the backside of Pulverizer for example...
Reason12, Win10

Imaginary191
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

Thank you. I found a way to do Filter3 FM to audio signal in Thor, but not directly by Oscillator FM. Unfortunately I already (unwisely) used my trial for Tribute... I will keep experimenting. Volume modulation in Pulveriser gives interesting results indeed.

Loque

22 Apr 2021

Imaginary191 wrote:
22 Apr 2021
Thank you. I found a way to do Filter3 FM to audio signal in Thor, but not directly by Oscillator FM. Unfortunately I already (unwisely) used my trial for Tribute... I will keep experimenting. Volume modulation in Pulveriser gives interesting results indeed.
Choose "Audio In" in the mod matrix as source and "Osc 1 FM" as destination for example. Ofc you need to connect something to the audio input on the back in Thor.

Pulverizer has an Filter FM Input on the back.

There are more quite good FM synths, that also can modulate different stuff. I like to use Ammo for simple tasks, eXpanse is good, but no external audio input, VK-2 has a lot of FM possibilites too. Just check some devices' backside and their routing possibilites.
I like Tribute, because it has an external Audio Input and can load samples which will be some kind of resynthesized.
For FX you should check Fritz as an example.
Reason12, Win10

Imaginary191
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

Yeah, but if I understand correctly both Thor "Osc 1 FM" and Ammo RE only can be used as carriers and their Audio In as modulator. I need the inverse: Grain - carrier, some other Osc - modulator (both in combinator, for example).
Fritz does what I want with FM knob, but FM frequency has to be set manually by ear (not in semitones) and is not playing notes from sequencer to follow melody changes in carrier signal.
Thanks for your suggestions, maybe I will try VK-2 when I have time, but looking at the manual I'm not sure it can act as modulator to external audio.

Loque

22 Apr 2021

What you are looking for is exactly i am looking for for years now and Phase Plant is quite ok, but with samples only.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

22 Apr 2021

I was recently wondering about trying something like this too, and couldn’t find anything that would really do it (I’m interested in seeing what it sounds like with 2 real-time audio signals). kind of amazing that it’s not something that’s common by now (if it even exists yet at all).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Imaginary191
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

You can try demo of FRMS vst.
I nearly bought it, it was on 50% discount some weeks ago. But I had some troubles with it: it hangs up Reason on my PC with "DX sound driver" (it works only with ASIO, but I need DX audio), it has pretty high CPU load and most importantly it has 2MB limit on loaded sample size for granular engine. I would need to cut samples almost every time to try something in it, as almost all of my sample library is >2Mb. But it sounds great and apparently is only existing option right now to FM granular osc with regular osc or another granular osc. It also can FM incoming audio (I did not try that in Reason yet). I might still buy it in half a year on BF...

On the other hand it would be so easy to use if something like this was built-in in Grain. It already has regular osc, just add FM option for it to act as modulator...

• Information