Which CPU would you chose?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Le Boeuf

10 Nov 2020

Simple question demands hard answers I guess :)

I’m building a new pc and I can’t figure out which cpu to buy to utilize the best performance in reason.

What would you chose and why?

I10900k - 10 Cores, 20 Threads @3.7GHz, Comet Lake. Turbo up to 5.2ghz

Or

Ryzen 5900 - 12 Cores, 24 Threads @3.7GHz, Zen3.Turbo up to 4.8 ghz

Or would you chose something
Else in that price range + - 300$

Is the Turboboost more important than the extra 2 cores in Ryzen?

Thanks!

Loque

10 Nov 2020

I would take the Ryzen. It has bigger cache, better and smaller architecture and currently in some situations the better single core performance, which is more important than the number of cores.

Keep in mind, that such CPUs use a lot of energy which costs money, but keeps you warm in the winter and warms nicely the earth too. AFAIK Intel needs more energy.
Reason12, Win10

Le Boeuf

11 Nov 2020

Thank you, and yeah I read some good reviews of that CPU too, but also people mentioning that it is worse at lower latency compared to intels latest CPU’s, which is okay for me, I believe as I only play midi key’s occasionally and is more focused on sound design/structure.
Should still be better latency than my i6800k 😅
Loque wrote:
10 Nov 2020
I would take the Ryzen. It has bigger cache, better and smaller architecture and currently in some situations the better single core performance, which is more important than the number of cores.

Keep in mind, that such CPUs use a lot of energy which costs money, but keeps you warm in the winter and warms nicely the earth too. AFAIK Intel needs more energy.

Billy+

11 Nov 2020

I would go with single core performance, never really understood the boost function, it's either a 3Ghz processor or 4Ghz I guess its more about power saving and I've always turned that off! Look at the cache go for biggest single core speed with largest cache and don't skimp on the RAM also consider SSD and rather than 1 big go for two smaller.

Le Boeuf

12 Nov 2020

Thanks again guys!

Went with this beauty, pretty stoked :-)

Asus B550M-Plus TUF Gaming bundkort
AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X Processor (Tray)
Corsair H100x 240mm Vandkøling
Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
Asus GeForce® GT 1030 2GB GDDR5
Vision X2 Black Silent (Lydisoleret)
Corsair TX650M 650W 80+ Gold (Semi modulær)

antic604

18 Nov 2020

Ryzen.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

friday

25 Nov 2020

As I can remember it right, in earlier days there was a issue with the FPU and AMD CPU's, and Reason seems to use the FPU a lot?
Something like that the AMD CPU's did not have one FPU per core and thus fewer FPU than the Intel CPU's .
Is this argument no longer relevant today?
Last edited by friday on 26 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

For my next build, I'll be looking for high single core performance but also 16 true cores. I'll have to be mindful of other nuances of processors as well, which I'm not familiar with but will learn about when the time comes to upgrade.

I've experienced having 16c/32 threads with very low single core performance for almost 4 years before getting a laptop with 6c/12t (turning off hyper threading for 6 cores seems to work the best from my experiments). It was a struggle sound designing on the 32 thread machine because I'd run out of single core power in a processing chain (in cases where I don't want to bounce to audio, which was usually never) Mind you, this was an old 32 thread system from 2011, so the newest stuff is much higher single core performance. But hey, I could have almost endless amounts of these "maxed out" processing chains if I wanted to. :D

Guess I didn't realize how important single core performance was at the time, but it forced me to achieve desirable results with extremely CPU efficient devices. No regrets!

Hope your new system treats you well.

dezma

29 Nov 2020

I also ordered the 5900 (or should I say on the waiting list). I would not see any reason to choose the 10900, it's simply inferior as far as I can see. AMD is typical around 30% faster, has lower power consumption and equal gaming performance.

Loopfork

19 Apr 2021

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here (and with computers in general) and I've been using reason 10 intro on a 13-year old laptop running Windows 7.

I am a hobby musician. but I Need to buy a NEW Ryzen PC Computer: Mainly for my 3D modelling animation software (Blender) ,motion graphics,vfx,Illustration,graphics,video editing,etc .

but also want to have a new computer that can run reason 10 intro (less options opposed to the Full version???) and I thought since reason 10 intro only has 16 possible tracks and I don't use so many plugins 5-20 at the most... I wonder if this would be a problem since I heard Ryzen has latency problems with Reason ,or has this situation improved?

EnochLight

19 Apr 2021

Loopfork wrote:
19 Apr 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here (and with computers in general) and I've been using reason 10 intro on a 13-year old laptop running Windows 7.

I am a hobby musician. but I Need to buy a NEW Ryzen PC Computer: Mainly for my 3D modelling animation software (Blender) ,motion graphics,vfx,Illustration,graphics,video editing,etc .

but also want to have a new computer that can run reason 10 intro (less options opposed to the Full version???) and I thought since reason 10 intro only has 16 possible tracks and I don't use so many plugins 5-20 at the most... I wonder if this would be a problem since I heard Ryzen has latency problems with Reason ,or has this situation improved?
Ryzen doesn't have latency problems with Reason - I'm not sure where you read that. What was discovered on early Ryzen and Threadripper CPU's is that you were not able to get as many counts of VST compared to the Intel counterpart. They still performed fantastic, though. Your latency on a new machine is going to be more affected by what audio interface you choose. Get a decent audio interface (with proven low latency drivers such as RME, etc) to go with that new PC, and you'll be right as rain. That said, with Reason 10 Intro's track limit, the amount of plugins you can host in it will be the least of your worries.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loopfork

19 Apr 2021

Thank you for your quick reply...

I want to use my Usb 2.0 Focusrite Saffire 6... hopefully it will work out...

I have to Honestly say I know nothing about all the new technologies,since the last computer I bought 13 years ago.

orthodox
RE Developer

19 Apr 2021

There actually were some problems with some 2000s CPUs and their power-saving technologies implemented in BIOS, which resulted in the system audio stream dropouts due to Windows DPC (D-something Procedure Call) mechanism failing to catch up when some "Enhanced Speedstep" was being switched in the BIOS procedure. It was called "DPC latency" problems at the time.

Loopfork

20 Apr 2021

@Orthodox

Have the ryzen process has gotten better over the years because I'm really dead said I'm getting one for all my 3D animation modeling rendering needs ,plus using reason 10 intro

Loopfork

20 Apr 2021

Sorry typo

*deadset on The Ryzen for my VFX ,3d modeling, and Reason 10 Intro (just a hobby musican here)

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Apr 2021

Loopfork wrote:
20 Apr 2021
Have the ryzen process has gotten better over the years?
I'm not talking about Ryzen, I'm sure everything is fine with it as well as with any other CPU. That's just another context that the "latency problems" might have appeared in 10-15 years ago.

EnochLight

20 Apr 2021

Loopfork wrote:
20 Apr 2021
@Orthodox

Have the ryzen process has gotten better over the years because I'm really dead said I'm getting one for all my 3D animation modeling rendering needs ,plus using reason 10 intro
Loopfork,

The latest generation Ryzens are perfectly fine and perfectly suited for audio production/DAW, as well as 3D animation, modelling, and rendering. And if you're only using Reason Lite, you are limited to track count anyway so you will never get even remotely close to bringing your machine to its knees. Ever. Just don't skimp on your build and you'll be fine!
orthodox wrote:
20 Apr 2021
I'm not talking about Ryzen, I'm sure everything is fine with it as well as with any other CPU. That's just another context that the "latency problems" might have appeared in 10-15 years ago.
The early Ryzens and Threadrippers did suffer a "memory lag' due to with the way in which the dyes were interconnected, but it really was negligible IMHO. But the latest generation Ryzen and Threadrippers just perform too good for one to even care, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loopfork

21 Apr 2021

Thank you Everybody

kuhliloach

21 Apr 2021

based on performance, cost, and totally silent operation I recommend an ARM processor in a fanless build such as a Macbook Air. Building a system with fans seems rather archaic at this point.

killhamster

21 Apr 2021

Handy topic, got a good idea what to look for when I rebuild my ship-of-Theseus style PC soon. It's got an old AMD processor that's definitely beginning to show its age after I upgraded Reason and 10 and 11 brought it to its knees.

EnochLight

22 Apr 2021

kuhliloach wrote:
21 Apr 2021
based on performance, cost, and totally silent operation I recommend an ARM processor in a fanless build such as a Macbook Air. Building a system with fans seems rather archaic at this point.
The new M1 Air is certainly pretty awesome, but in this case that would require the user to buy into Mac's wholly expensive ecosystem, "Apple tax", and have extremely limited upgrade paths (read: none). I think Theseus was onto something, personally. :thumbup:

kuhliloach

22 Apr 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Apr 2021
kuhliloach wrote:
21 Apr 2021
The new M1 Air is certainly pretty awesome, but in this case that would require the user to buy into Mac's wholly expensive ecosystem, "Apple tax", and have extremely limited upgrade paths (read: none). I think Theseus was onto something, personally. :thumbup:
thing starts at $999 which is cheap imo-- breakout boxes and adaptors are certainly the Apple tax, but value wise I'd say Apple is being competitive

EnochLight

22 Apr 2021

kuhliloach wrote:
22 Apr 2021
thing starts at $999 which is cheap imo-- breakout boxes and adaptors are certainly the Apple tax, but value wise I'd say Apple is being competitive
Don't get me wrong - the new M1 Macs are certainly an improvement over the laughably spec'd stuff they were pushing for years before, but you know as well as I do that migrating from PC to Mac usually ends up costing a lot more than we plan for. There's always that one (or dozens) of apps you've used on the PC and grown used to, but now have to find a Mac-equivalent. And dropping $999 USD on an entry-level Air doesn't allow you to continually upgrade the parts for years to come. What you buy, you're stuck with. Again, that ship-of-Theseus metaphor can come in handy when you build your own desktop PC, IMHO.

moalla

24 Apr 2021

I‘ ve bought a ryzen 3900x on a b550 mainboard and 3600mhz Viper Steel cl 17 19 19 19 39 68 ram configuration at 1,35v. So i can say that the System stability improves after the Agesa 1.05 update very well, firstly without the new bios i got micro ram problems and clicks, now the power of this 12core, 4,3ghz all cores CPU with a small water cooler for 45€ is really amazing, so the most important thing is to have a stable working system with a high all Core Speed and more than 540single Core points in cpu Z bench tool. The Problems with the latency in Pentium4 Times anno 2002 and ram Speed till 2013 are no Problem, i think its more the thing with the systemoptimisation and soundcard/GPU Drivers at all.
Nice regards
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

moalla

24 Apr 2021

Several years ago, i bought a ryzen 1700 and the performance of this cpu was not so good, especial the thing with lower latencys in conclusion to intel was more than weak, so i sold this machine and was going back to my 4710mq intel notebook. I don´t know how big the difference between 3900x and 5900x in abolut terms is, but the price difference of 300€ for me was to much for only 10%-15% more pure power at all. So a lot of people at gearslutz wrote about 5900x and also got statements that the thermal disadvantages of the 5900x cpu die (two core packs in one cpu same as 3900x but with a differental thermaldesign requirements ) considerable temperatures over 95Celcius

But okay if also the 5900x is at all more or less with max 4,6ghz all core power a little bit undervolted runing good, the biggest difference are than given when the microcode updates of the cpu/mainboard bios are effective enough, like i saw with my new mainboard wich was updated to Agesa 1.05 first at beginn of february 21 and now it gaves me stable 4,3ghz all core power and the only problem at the end iss the one 120mm fan water cooled AIO, whose 180watt max thermal design could be to low or the original heat paste is to weak, so it could produce emergency cutouts at extrewmly high loads, but with dark rock pro cooler or comparable colling solutions people wrote, there are absolutly no problems with these 2 chiplet cpu´s, also at lower fan speed seetings.

So at the end decide what is your budget and how you can handle the temperature problems in relation of noise and dezibel fan thing.
I ´ve paid 780€ for my 12cores, minitix b550, 16gbram 3600mhz , 500gb nvme 2000mb/s PC with 1030gt gpu, smal be quiet TFX power supply
and 120mm single fan AIO
a comparable mac mini costs...eventually more than reason with a lots of absolutly wicked rack and vst extensions!?

My plan was to build up my system as low noise (max 32db) with passiv gt1030 msi card, as a really mobile desktop system, bundeled with an light 21inch screen as backpack computer, to visit other musicians and i decided 12 cores with lower temperature are better than newer 8 cores (5800x) with 15celsius temperature more for around 420€, where i also have not the decision to build it in a smaller form factor in conclusion of the size problem of bigger coolers wich are needed for such hot stuff.
my pc case size is 130mm x 210mm x 240mm
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

• Information