Reason 12 Wishlist

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Jagwah

01 Mar 2021

Yeah when labelling clips which I do a lot, I always have to change them to a lighter colour, using white text as suggested above would be fantastic.

Also please implement all the features everybody has been begging for since forever, then in 7000 years when you're done - please consider adding video support with a few basic features.

ltbrunt00

16 Mar 2021

Is everyone else getting excited for Reason 12 as I am. Every now and then I need a new shiny toy. To allow them to get everything they want in it I hope it is later in the year.

I have to assume looking at some of the features added to other DAW software, since they will be one of the last of the big boys to release a new version this year they will take to time to get it mostly right from the start. I think the sequencer and mixer will get the most love in this update...But alas I hold out hope for some for of music to video sequencing feature.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Billy+

16 Mar 2021

ltbrunt00 wrote:
16 Mar 2021
Is everyone else getting excited for Reason 12 as I am. Every now and then I need a new shiny toy. To allow them to get everything they want in it I hope it is later in the year.

I have to assume looking at some of the features added to other DAW software, since they will be one of the last of the big boys to release a new version this year they will take to time to get it mostly right from the start. I think the sequencer and mixer will get the most love in this update...But alas I hold out hope for some for of music to video sequencing feature.
I'm not sure about incorporating video sequencing into Reason, it can be quite an advanced set of requirements that have been well covered by any number of other software packages and given RS's track record on needed features and current technology implementation it would just end up being something else that never quite does what you need.

I'm not holding out much hope for V12.

ludz

16 Mar 2021

I just came to know they're about to release a v12. Not sure wht to expect, I stopped using Reason as a standalone DAW and I now mostly use it inside of bitwig.

I surely would love to see:

- BETTER COMBIS! They were cool when they came out but they're simply too dated right now. I always need more knobs, buttons, cv-ins and modulation possibilities in general. I can modulate more things, with more flexibility, when modulating from bitwig, which is a shame!

- Rack Extension Plugins needs to allow for the use of 3rd parties plugins. The fact that I can only use Rack Extensions is extremely limiting!

- UI! especially old rack extensions, they look so grainy, my eyes get quite tired quite easily. The rack seriously need a ZOOM option of some sort!

- midi/audio editing needs to get better. Audio editing in particular. The all timeline really; personally I never sequence from it, I only use it to record automations and audio; it would need to undergo some serious changes, but I doubt that will ever happen at this point.

- better modules to work with external gear. hardware integration is super basic and pretty much sucks.

zoidkirb

16 Mar 2021

This thread is old and I forgot what I requested before but I've re-evaluated everything anyway.
The priority now is:

1: Retrospective midi record

2: Midi comping/clip stacking

3: Better combinator

4: Many small QOL improvements in the rack and sequencer (too much detail to go into here)

If that all makes it into R12 then I won't be buying R13 :p

Irruchi

17 Mar 2021

Gonna put my ideas

1. Faster Responding GUI / GUI improvements across the board

2. VST3 is a no brainer at this point.

3. More support for control surfaces since all the support for motorized fader controllers is all in outdated discontinued products.

4. Custom color themes would be loved

5. MIDI IN TO VST!!!!!

6. Full 16 stereo outs in the VST container for things like Maschine. 16 outs for Reason is only 8 stereo

7. Either Key scale folding of the piano roll ORRRR Highlighting selecting which key and notation on the piano roll

8. Channel and Track FOLDERS!

9. Being able to hide mix channels that aren't in use.

Oh

10. WASAPI support.

R303

19 Mar 2021

Irruchi wrote:
17 Mar 2021
Gonna put my ideas

1. Faster Responding GUI / GUI improvements across the board

2. VST3 is a no brainer at this point.

3. More support for control surfaces since all the support for motorized fader controllers is all in outdated discontinued products.

4. Custom color themes would be loved

5. MIDI IN TO VST!!!!!

6. Full 16 stereo outs in the VST container for things like Maschine. 16 outs for Reason is only 8 stereo

7. Either Key scale folding of the piano roll ORRRR Highlighting selecting which key and notation on the piano roll

8. Channel and Track FOLDERS!

9. Being able to hide mix channels that aren't in use.

Oh

10. WASAPI support.
Yes, WASAPI, I always have to use Audacity for this.

Jagwah

20 Mar 2021

I only ask that they implement all these suggestions, then in 7000 years when they are done, please consider video editing support.

Rising Night Wave

29 Mar 2021

well, i think this would be a great benefit to reason program:
when you leave/close/exit reason 12, reason 12 would put settings of your sound card to state (khs/bit) as they were before you launched reason 12.
i constanty have to manually set this. it gets on my nerves already. - problem is sometimes the song project is just too heavy for my CPU in my notebook. so i have to lover khs for real time play in reason. and when i exit reason (close the program) i again and again have to manualy set my sound card to max settings: that is 192/24.

damn! this should be done.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Noise
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2021

I present to you the "DigiCV"
CTRL+ALT to Source > Target
Somewhere else a button: Hide DigiCV. dunno, I'm not a engineer :D

What if, you could just automate any fader / knob easily, without going around the combinator cv1 / cv2 etc..
DigiCV.jpg
DigiCV.jpg (905.54 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Creativemind

07 Apr 2021

dezma wrote:
17 Sep 2019
I'll copy paste from my other response

AUTOSAVE > face it, VST's make reason less stable, and I've lost several hours of work since introduction because of crashes
previewing wav/REX files in browser IN SYNC with the playing track/loop
a missing samples search that actually works
midi out/thru for VST, preferably patchable in the rack
sample drag n drop from browser to VST
working automation for all VST (avenger needs a combinator to be automated because of the number of parameters the synth has)
folders in sequencer
( updated automation process and curved automation ) > done

Then we can talk cosmetics such as GUI or updates or new stuff

Additionally after having worked with presonus studio one (which features all of the above btw):
[*]Export directly to MP3
[*]Customizable macro's and adjustable key bindings
[*]Piano roll that is not crap

I always knew it was crap but never could explain why, but now working with studio one made me realize it's how on the same quantize settings things are so much easier in Studio one. Studio one has lettering on 1.2 AND makes it a bigger vertical line making the whole things much more readible.

For anyone saying hit Ctrl S for saving regularly, yes you should but there are times you forget.

Also, that piano roll looks nice in Studio One, would be a good opportunity in Reason 12 for Reason Studio's to make the piano look better / cooler. It looks ok but could look really great if the graphics of it were changed.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

07 Apr 2021

Noise wrote:
07 Apr 2021

What if, you could just automate any fader / knob easily, without going around the combinator cv1 / cv2 etc..

DigiCV.jpg
That looks cool as mate.

:thumbup:

deeplink
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2021

Noise wrote:
07 Apr 2021

DigiCV.jpg
This actually looks a lot more intuitive then I previously imagined. One thing missing is the amount of CV control passing through (maybe a temporary pop up display would be required)
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Billy+

07 Apr 2021

deeplink wrote:
07 Apr 2021
Noise wrote:
07 Apr 2021

DigiCV.jpg
This actually looks a lot more intuitive then I previously imagined. One thing missing is the amount of CV control passing through (maybe a temporary pop up display would be required)
Agreed, it would make it quicker but you still need to have access to an amount per link so you could scale.

Noise
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2021

Ok, new and improved:

If you mousover with CTRL+ALT a little popup appears:
it disappears, when you let go of CTRL+ALT
DigiCV_v2.jpg
DigiCV_v2.jpg (995.66 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Kilsane

08 Apr 2021

Hi,
When I move a wav file from the explorer to the Rack window, I would like it to open an NN19 or NNXT with my wav inside, or while it offers me a menu asking me in which Rack I want to insert my wav
Attachments
Drag.JPG
Drag.JPG (167.52 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

deeplink
Competition Winner

08 Apr 2021

Kilsane wrote:
08 Apr 2021
Hi,
When I move a wav file from the explorer to the Rack window, I would like it to open an NN19 or NNXT with my wav inside, or while it offers me a menu asking me in which Rack I want to insert my wav
+1 for this. Or perhaps a new sampler which becomes the default device loaded in. Having options (including grain) would be awesome
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Rising Night Wave

08 Apr 2021

deeplink wrote:
08 Apr 2021
Kilsane wrote:
08 Apr 2021
Hi,
+1 for this. Or perhaps a new sampler which becomes the default device loaded in. Having options (including grain) would be awesome
this could be done via right mouse knob
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

R303

13 Apr 2021

Why does the height of the new tracks no longer automatically adjust to the vertical zoom level?

And now I've noticed what has changed with the grid lines in the sequencer compared to R5.
The three narrow lines are reduced (more often) to one when zooming and the bar numbering was adjusted.
I must accept this, but I don't like it :lol: There are way too many thick lines :reason: So a slider to reduce the contrast would be a good agreement.
I don't use blocks in all cases.

Oh and why is there a different height in AUDIO and MIX tracks... I mean this uneven... does that look really g...?
Sorry, I'm too much at R5.

Creativemind

17 Apr 2021

I'd like to know if things like curved automation only having one curve and same for crossfades and no verticle allignment, things like that, were they design decisions or can we expect improvements in the future?

plaingraywall

19 Apr 2021

R303 wrote:
13 Apr 2021
Why does the height of the new tracks no longer automatically adjust to the vertical zoom level?

And now I've noticed what has changed with the grid lines in the sequencer compared to R5.
The three narrow lines are reduced (more often) to one when zooming and the bar numbering was adjusted.
I must accept this, but I don't like it :lol: There are way too many thick lines :reason: So a slider to reduce the contrast would be a good agreement.
I don't use blocks in all cases.

Oh and why is there a different height in AUDIO and MIX tracks... I mean this uneven... does that look really g...?
Sorry, I'm too much at R5.
Sometimes I wish that when they upgraded the Reason interface they'd have allowed us to keep using the old one behind a 'Legacy UI' checkbox. Reason certainly looks nicer since v8 but sometimes I find it's not quite as usable as the old interface, however clunky the slick new UI makes the old versions appear...

manisnotabird

22 Apr 2021

Ability to use samples inside refills in VSTs. Some kind of sample/preset manager.

Aquila

22 Apr 2021

ltbrunt00 wrote:
16 Mar 2021
Is everyone else getting excited for Reason 12 as I am.
I dunno. Last time I was truly excited by a new version was V7 when they finally added external MIDI capability. V9.5 came second with the addition of VST support though.

The way I see it, V12 could go one of two ways:
1) They do their usual trick and only add a small handful of features nobody really asked for.
2) They finally listen to user requests and add an impressive plethora of features people actually want.

For me, the next version really needs to be a significant improvement to get me excited. Hell, I only upgraded to V10 because I needed compatibility with a fellow collaborator's project files. Until I see an official announcement and full feature list, I'm not holding my breath.

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

Aquila wrote:
22 Apr 2021
ltbrunt00 wrote:
16 Mar 2021
Is everyone else getting excited for Reason 12 as I am.
The way I see it, V12 could go one of two ways:
1) They do their usual trick and only add a small handful of features nobody really asked for.
But then they'll claim those features were actually highly requested for years. :wtf:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Creativemind

29 Apr 2021

Noise wrote:
07 Apr 2021
Ok, new and improved:

If you mousover with CTRL+ALT a little popup appears:
it disappears, when you let go of CTRL+ALT

DigiCV_v2.jpg
What did you design those cables on?